Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

British Grand Prix

Any other Lifers at Silverstone? Cracking atmosphere and feels very much like England vs Germany here. Rosberg getting pelters from the crowd here - sitting in front of three vocal Rosturd fans from Germany (nice chaps actually!) and having some good banter. As long as Lewis doesn't suffer from another mysterious mechanical failure and the rain doesn't mix it up too much he has the pace here.

Comments

• Watching from home Damo.Weather looks abit dodgy with rain forecast could be very interesting.
  • I wish somebody would run Martin Brundle over. Nobody wants to talk to you mate.
  • Queuing up for my pre race piss and it has just started totally shitting it down!
  • Safety car start. Awful decision. These are meant to be the best drivers in the world, let them race!
  • Safety car start ffs, let them race.
  • best news for Hamilton as his starts have been rubbish
  • Boring, takes all the intrigue out of the race. Rosberg vs Hamilton now, until one drives into the other
  • What a farce.
  • Absolute joke.
  • The British GP never used to clash with the Wimbledon final, seems a bit silly to have 2 major British sporting events at the same time
  • Sponsored links:

• The British GP never used to clash with the Wimbledon final, seems a bit silly to have 2 major British sporting events at the same time

Is Tennis a major sport ?
  • you could argue that it is more of a "sport" than racing cars
  • I cannot stand motor racing but the wife loves it so we had it on during lunch.

Even I though hadn't realised quite how amusing it could be to see a billion pound "sport" that can't put four wheels on a car!

I think you'll find that 135,000 people at Silverstone may disagree with that.
  • Am sure they could have sold that many for the Wimbledon final too though.

Don't know mate, Emma Bunton's kids looked bored stupid earlier
  • I've got to say well done Lewis Hamilton but that was a dull one.

• People can say what they like about his fashion sense or social life but all that aside he is a true British sporting legend, and as a brand, our biggest sportsman on the planet.

• People can say what they like about his fashion sense or social life but all that aside he is a true British sporting legend, and as a brand, our biggest sportsman on the planet.

I reckon Murray & McIlroy, probably Bale would be bigger "brands".

Hope Lewis wins, I agree with some of the questioning as to whether F1 is really a sport, it probably isn't, but whilst we have a successful competitor I'm willing to entertain just about anything !
  • In terms of brand power give it another year and Anthony Joshua is up there too.
  • Sponsored links:

• What a boring race. No start mayhem due to safety car, then the gamblers going onto inters a couple of laps early were neutralised by Werlein's crash, and then the ridiculous longevity of the tyres stops anyone mounting a serious challenge. And to top it all off the radio restrictions are just outrageous, if the car has something wrong with it, you should be able to tell the driver how fix it
  • sam3110 said:

What a boring race. No start mayhem due to safety car, then the gamblers going onto inters a couple of laps early were neutralised by Werlein's crash, and then the ridiculous longevity of the tyres stops anyone mounting a serious challenge. And to top it all off the radio restrictions are just outrageous, if the car has something wrong with it, you should be able to tell the driver how fix it

Agree re radio restrictions - absolutely pathetic.
  • se9addick said:

People can say what they like about his fashion sense or social life but all that aside he is a true British sporting legend, and as a brand, our biggest sportsman on the planet.

I reckon Murray & McIlroy, probably Bale would be bigger "brands".

Hope Lewis wins, I agree with some of the questioning as to whether F1 is really a sport, it probably isn't, but whilst we have a successful competitor I'm willing to entertain just about anything !
    As a brand Murray and McIlroy are not as big. Lots more will influence that aside from the sporting audience - he is all over the press globally much more than them two.

Also or highest earning sportsman ever I think now (annual earnings).
  • C'mon Jolyon

im a fan of both sports, but if F1 doesn't buck its ideas up soon and do something to stop more 'spectacles' like today, it won't be drawing crowds like that for much longer.

Even the rain couldn't save that today because the sport has lost all sense of the idea it only really exists to entertain people. Rain is one of the only excitement generating variables in F1 these days, there should be actual cats and dogs falling from the sky before they even consider starting behind the safety car.
  • edited July 2016

you could argue that it is more of a "sport" than racing cars

im a fan of both sports, but if F1 doesn't buck its ideas up soon and do something to stop more 'spectacles' like today, it won't be drawing crowds like that for much longer.

Even the rain couldn't save that today because the sport has lost all sense of the idea it only really exists to entertain people. Rain is one of the only excitement generating variables in F1 these days, there should be actual cats and dogs falling from the sky before they even consider starting behind the safety car.
    To be fair the majority of the fans there today wanted to see Hamilton win so they were all very happy and will flock back next year.

Just like when Man Utd won every week at a canter, there was no shortage of demand for Old Trafford.

Clearly the sport has problems but keeping Silverstone sold out with a record breaking Brit winning each year isn't one of them.
  • I would argue that Tennis is 10x a sport that F1 is mainly because F1 is all about technology, tyres, fucking pitstops, team orders etc. on top of that it is crushingly boring, a 200mph car park, and is watched by more anoraks/sq. metre than any other "sport".......just saying.
  • I would argue that Tennis is 10x a sport that F1 is mainly because F1 is all about technology, tyres, fucking pitstops, team orders etc. on top of that it is crushingly boring, a 200mph car park, and is watched by more anoraks/sq. metre than any other "sport".......just saying.

There is also a huge amount of technology in tennis, from the shoes on their feet, the food in their stomach, to the bat in their hands. Its hard to name a sport where technology does not play a deciding factor.