Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton can win the Premier League in the next 10 years

If Leicester City can do it, then Charlton Athletic can do it.

Yes, we have almost impossible obstacles to overcome, but then so did Leicester. There is no reason why what they achieved in the 2015-16 Premier League season cannot be repeated by another Club, if the right decisions are taken and the right environment is created.
Leicester City being Champions of England is the greatest single achievement by any team in Premier League history. It is proof that nothing is impossible if a squad of good players is managed well enough to have absolute belief in themselves.

In these times when cynicism, gloom and alienation have come to dominate the outlook of so many Charlton fans, it is worth reminding ourselves that it is not a crime to dream.
Dreams cost nothing, and they can't be bought or sold by the likes of Duchatelet and Meire. Dreams belong to any fan who dares to have them. And if you're going to dream you might as well dream Big Time.

Take another look at that gleaming Premier League Trophy and imagine it wreathed in our colours. Imagine the name of our Club engraved on it. That would be the footballing adventure of a lifetime, and it can come true.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• I'd Stop smoking mate
  • I honestly think that Leicester was a complete one off... They caught the rest of the Premier League in a transition period and the other top sides wont allow it to happen again.

Just look at Manchester City / Manchester United, the money those two are spending is crazy, especially as it doesnt appear to be on wasteful unknown risks
  • lardiman said:

Yes, we have almost impossible obstacles to overcome, but then so did Leicester. There is no reason why what they achieved in the 2015-16 Premier League season cannot be repeated by another Club, if the right decisions are taken and the right environment is created.
    Leicester City being Champions of England is the greatest single achievement by any team in Premier League history. It is proof that nothing is impossible if a squad of good players is managed well enough to have absolute belief in themselves.

In these times when cynicism, gloom and alienation have come to dominate the outlook of so many Charlton fans, it is worth reminding ourselves that it is not a crime to dream.
    Dreams cost nothing, and they can't be bought or sold by the likes of Duchatelet and Meire. Dreams belong to any fan who dares to have them. And if you're going to dream you might as well dream Big Time.

Take another look at that gleaming Premier League Trophy and imagine it wreathed in our colours. Imagine the name of our Club engraved on it. That would be the footballing adventure of a lifetime, and it can come true.

Your thoughts?

I agree we can, and i agree we should have dreams.
    However if we're going to go to the top of the premier league I wouldn't start from here.
  • It's certainly could happen, but it's highly unlikely, lets resurrect this thread when we have new owners.
  • Thing is we can dream of a big owner but even that gate has been bolted now.

If we get some rich owner and try to spend £100m and it fails (Which in the first season it probably would) we'd be slapped with an FFP fine and because we wouldnt be able to strengthen until those finances were sorted, we'd probably lose players who'd go off to other competitive Football League / Premier League teams (i.e. Ross McCormack).

I hate to say but I think we need someone like Roland, yet isn't Roland...

As when he took over I thought we could cleverly use the Network to dodge any FFP issues... Unfortunately he didnt turn out that way but its not the say the next bloke would be like that, again Vincent Tan is a crap owner @ Cardiff City yet he used the network properly last January, signed a player in the Window... Couldn't go to Cardiff because of their transfer ban so Tan signed him for one of his Dutch clubs (Or were they Belgian I'm not sure), he was then instantly sent on loan from this Network club to Cardiff and the other day (when Cardiff's ban was lifted) he signed for them permanently!!
  • Wonder what odds you would get on that?
  • I honestly think that Leicester was a complete one off... They caught the rest of the Premier League in a transition period and the other top sides wont allow it to happen again.

Just look at Manchester City / Manchester United, the money those two are spending is crazy, especially as it doesnt appear to be on wasteful unknown risks

I agree in part in that it's highly unlikely that another rank outsider will win the league anytime soon, however the new Sky tv deal has certainly given hope to the others. Yes the really big clubs will always be able to go out and buy the world class players, but what the new tv deal has done is enable smaller clubs to outbid the rest of europe, for example the likes of Palace and West ham bidding 30m+ for a striker. Any premier league club can now outbid any club in europe apart from Barca, Real, Atletico, PSG, Bayern and Juventus. It's crazy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for the replies so far - this was not a wind-up post, I genuinely believe we could win the biggest prize one day.
    The hardest work was done last season, by a squad costing roughly £30m proving the Premier League can be won by other means than throwing obscene amounts of money at it.

Now if the day comes that we win promotion to the Premier League, there is no need to limit our ambitions to finishing 4th bottom. There is nothing that cannot be achieved if the squad and the manager and the support structure at the Club is right.
    If Charlton ever return to the Promised Land, it should be to conquer rather than to merely survive.
  • No chances, the prem is a poison chalets, we have all see 1st hand what it does to a football club, when cafc were in the prem 15 years ago we punch above our weight, with players that really did run though brick wall, that's all gone now (in the prem). Leicester type winning the league will never happen again were are 10 years off getting to the prem and then we will be another 10 years behind the clubs in terms of wealth.

I settle for a top half championship team over the prem whipping boys
  • I did it on Football Manager once, but I turned the game off before saving if we ever lost an important game, so that helped

Never did win the Champions League though - my one regret from my time in charge
  • Anyone can potentially do this. As you say, Leicester have.

The chances of it happening though are a million to one though in my eyes, particularly because a once a lifetime story has just happened.
  • This is the kind of attitude that gives people bullshit expectations and ends up with them booing the team if they're not winning at half time, for fuck's sake
  • Can I have your dealers number, he obviously sells good stuff
  • lardiman said:

Your thoughts?

I agree we should dream big, I think we can win the Premier League next year !
  • edited July 2016
    In fact we do. It is a little known fact that I am a time traveler from 2027 and although we did not do it in ten years (it took us 11...), we are now not only in the European Premier League but have just won the play off against Real-Barcelona and are now champions. We play Shandong Luneng in the World club cup final 2028 in Qatar, myself, Napoleon and the Easter Bunny are dead excited...
  • So all we have to do is go bankrupt and not bother paying our bills then spend absolute fortunes over several years. Yeah anyone can do it. Whilst their achievement was amazing they weren't some little club who worked their way up with honesty and shrewd money management.
  • Waste of eye time.
  • Sponsored links:

• lardiman said:

Your thoughts?

It's good to dream. But I wouldn't hold your breath.

• edited July 2016
    If the owner doesn't really want it then there is nothing to dream about.
    Just pray we don't spend the next 5 years in League 1
  • Leicester have shown that it can be done by any team, statistically speaking.

In reality, that isn't going to happen again any time soon.

That's what makes Leicester's success that bit more astounding. I would have genuinely believed 5000/1 was probably accurate at the start of the season
  • It's already starting to feel like everyone in football wants to "Do a Leicester," just as everyone in business wants to be "The Uber of something."

Let's take a step back at look at statistical trends: since the inception of the Top Flight by Sky and Barclays (TM), six teams have won the title, four of whom would be considered some of the biggest and richest in the world at the time. The other two were Blackburn, whose title win arguably put them into financial difficulty for the next two decades, and Leicester.

So 8% of the time, one of the "non-big clubs" win the title, and those times are currently stretched out at around once a decade. A lot of things can change between now and 2025, but there's no reason to think we should or ever will be winning the title short of some billionaire tycoon falling in love with us, a la Manchester City or Chelsea, who were both obviously in a better situation than we are currently (League position wise).

If the next five years see Spurs and Southampton, two well backed but also fiscally well run clubs break into winning the title, then yes, I think it can be said that a new era of parody is breaking out. But frankly, I don't see it.
  • There was a time not that long ago that teams at the level above Charlton's current level, dreamed of 'doing a Charlton'

*cries*
  • lardiman said:

Your thoughts?

Is this for real?
  • Thank you for being positive.

The Leicster story was an enormous one off and there are not many similar examples at all.

Has it given a strange amount of hope to the little clubs?

Yes. It's basically said....it can, in fact, be done. It's opened a gate of imagination. For example, this thread.

The premier league is not just made up of a pre determined boring money money spend spend top 4. Leicster just pissed all over that one. They are remarkable. The achievement is outstanding and historically timeless.

For me...with Charlton, I have I horrible feeling, it's just something in the sky that says:

"You won't win anything interesting or of high profile from this point onwards".

It's Charlton. We don't excite anymore. We just, sometimes....delay the inevitable of failing. - that's us being successful.
  • http://full-time.thefa.com/ProcessPublicSelect.do;jsessionid=788DE571EE86731925311FF3A2D43119?psSelectedSeason=763938732&psSelectedDivision=2010478&psSelectedCompetition=0&psSelectedLeague=3117271

The OP may be on to something, with RD anything is possible and I wouldn't put it past him to take us to the Premier Division, but Lessa Albion are always tough competition.