Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any WordPress pro's out there? (Local Kids Charity)

edited July 2016 in Not Sports Related
Hi, am working for an Eltham based kids adventure learning charity at present and need some help with their Wordpress site which isn't playing ball. So if you are a guru in that area and fancy giving me a hand it would be great to hear from you.

Comments

• I have used it for work, definitely wouldn't say I am a guru however! What is the issue in case I can?
  • edited July 2016
    Events and news widgets showing old stuff and no new stuff, Jetpack needs installing in a way that is complimentary to Google Analytics, site is slow - and no performance menu item is available. I did a fair bit for the Trust's site, but you can set things up quite differently in WP. Further down the line it needs changing navigation and stuff, but I may be able to do that.
  • Most problems I have had have been solved by seeing which plugins might be causing the issue, deactivating to see if that improves issues. If it is jetpack causing the issue, could you use a different plugin? - I haven't used it myself

Does clearing the cache do anything?
  • I can't get to the clear cache option as no performance menu item, or WordPress engine item. Jetpack not installed yet, GA is but I don't want to adversely impact it or the site by doing so.
  • razil said:

Events and news widgets showing old stuff and no new stuff, Jetpack needs installing in a way that is complimentary to Google Analytics, site is slow - and no performance menu item is available. I did a fair bit for the Trust's site, but you can set things up quite differently in WP. Further down the line it needs changing navigation and stuff, but I may be able to do that.

If the menu items are not present, then are the plugins definitely installed - i.e a caching plugin?

With regards to performance; make sure there are no unnecessary plugins installed, introduce a caching layer and make sure the performance issues aren't the actual hosting.

If they control their domain name, you could place a cache outside of Wordpress in the form of CloudFlare - it plays quite nicely with Wordpress and acts pretty transparently. I use their free package for my personal site + my agency/consultancy site.
  • Try Settings\Permalinks - and then save changes (without making any changes)
  • Try Settings\Permalinks - and then save changes (without making any changes)

Thanks, tried that no joy

• for all aspects of wordpress you tube step by step tutorials are available...
  • edited November 2016
    Thanks people.

Have made some great inroads into the site we now run thanks to David who runs the Trust website.

Can anyone help me with making tables transparent in wordpress?

Is it as simple as changing the background colour html code?
  • razil said:

Thanks people.

Have made some great inroads into the site we now run thanks to David who runs the Trust website.

Can anyone help me with making tables transparent in wordpress?

Is it as simple as changing the background colour html code?

Believe so yes, you can edit things in HTML mode. May help.

With regards to the speed, if you have access to the Databases you can generally run maintenance on them to speed things up. As above, the more plugins bigger the load so it will slow down if you have too many.
  • Sponsored links:

• tried changing the background code to #ffffff and #00ffffff but no joy
  • reckon this might be the answer but my html is really not up to much

https://wpbtips.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/overriding-default-table-colors/