Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Welling v Charlton | Sat 09 July | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Welling United v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 9th July 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Pre-Season Friendly

Introduction

Exactly two months ago the Charlton season ended with a very flat referee’s full-time whistle… The curtains came down (the sofa was destroyed) and when the dust had settled our ex-Ticket Office Manager will still unsure whether we’d been relegated, yet relegated we were and a season ahead in League One beckons.

Still it’s not been a boring two months, in that time; our two rivals have lost at Wembley (Shame) and we’ve had the bi-annual event of watching England being hyped up and failing at a major tournament… Within Sparrows Lane there have been changes yet feeling amongst the fans is still the same, the majority feel that for any real change there must be resignations at the top.

Usually I don’t cover the pre-season friendlies yet thought I’d give the annual curtain raiser a go… This Saturday it’s a chance to get down to Park View Road and see the reign of Russell Slade begin.

The Opposition
Name: Welling United | Ground: Park View Road
Manager: Mark Goldberg

A Charlton season would never be the same if we didn’t start against our local neighbours… A friendly that seems to exist purely to aid the finances of a Non-League side (£15 a ticket will surely help) and to add much needed match fitness ahead of a gruelling season for both sides.

Welling themselves didn’t have the best of season’s last time out… Having made a long awaited return to the National League (the Conference for us purists) in 2013, Welling were relegated back to the Conference South having finished bottom of the league last time out.

Yet changes are afoot in the Bexley Borough… Welling have new ownership in ex-Crystal Palace / Bromley owner: Mark Goldberg, who’s management team includes our very own Damien Matthew and despite a rivalry with Ebbsfleet United and instant return to the Non-League top flight may not be beyond the Wings.

Charlton Team News
Predicting a squad for a league game is difficult so am not even going to try for a Pre-Season Friendly which usually sees two different squads being played in each half, although even after all these years there will still be those who moan that they’ve not seen the First-Team playing…

Of course with a second pre-season friendly planned in a few days against Bromley there will be those who will be kept fresh for the “other” Kent derby.

Goalkeepers: Do we have three or do we have four ‘keepers… Nick Pope should be the first choice next season yet will face competition from Dillon Phillips fresh (yet possibly still injured) from his success at Cheltenham, Saturday could also see Marko Dmitrovic or Dimitar Mitov make an appearance whilst it doesn’t seem as though Stephen Henderson has reported for training.

Defence: With the only out goings having been loans we could still potentially see the likes of Jorge Teixeira line up, no doubt the squads will be a mixture of experience and youth so expect to see the likes of Terrell Thomas or Ezra Konsa appearing… Patrick Bauer injured at the end of last season would be a surprise to see.

Midfield: Following his exploits at the Euros for Iceland one player we definitely won’t see is Johann Gudmundsson, indeed it’s doubtful we’ll ever see him again as it looks like he’ll be joining Burnley, whilst Saturday should be the first chance we’ll get to see new signing: Ricky Holmes

Strikers: Another player injured at the end of last season was Tony Watt so again it may be a surprise to see him play whilst we should get to see new signings: Lee Novak and Nicky Ajose… It would be a surprise if there wasn’t constant rumour around Ademola Lookman’s future this summer, he will be another absentee (no doubt sending the conspiracy theories wild) yet he will be on England U19 duty for a few weeks.

Prediction
Some say I went slightly mad last season in terms of the predictions so this is a feature you’ll rarely have to put up with in the season ahead… Charlton will be favourites for the tie having won previous encounters 9-0 yet Welling have been known to win the match themselves.

Will there be another Ahearne-Grant / Pigott for this fixture... Or will we see the beginning of our own resurrection...

CharltonLife, it’s over to you… See you for the Bury game

Comments

• usually attend this but giving it a miss this year, hope we get a win for the fans attending and the sun is shining.
  • usually attend this but giving it a miss this year, hope we get a win for the fans attending and the sun is shining.

Yeah I've no intention of going to any Friendlies this summer.

They talk about the price of a game these days but any Pre-Season Friendly where your charged more than £10 is an absolute joke
  • I must be mad, but half fancy going to this. Havent been to Welling ever suprisingly and only go to the odd pre season, hopefully i can rope someone to join me
  • I'll be there, no idea on the team/result/performance...don't care.

best excuse I have for a few pints with the lads in the sun

They talk about the price of a game these days but any Pre-Season Friendly where your charged more than £10 is an absolute joke
    i used to be of that opinion until i heard a rumour that we charged welling £7000 to put a team down there, as they know it will be a bumper crowd, dont know if theres any truth in it, if there isnt no reason why welling and bromley shouldnt be a 5er each charge pints out at 3.50 and you would easily make a bit.

i used to be of that opinion until i heard a rumour that we charged welling £7000 to put a team down there, as they know it will be a bumper crowd, dont know if theres any truth in it, if there isnt no reason why welling and bromley shouldnt be a 5er each charge pints out at 3.50 and you would easily make a bit.
    I always thought that Welling got most of the revenue from the fixture and that it was a small way of helping out our neighbours?
  • Someone did ask Watt on twitter if he'd be fit for Welling

Tony Watt ‏@32watto 13h13 hours ago
    Tony Watt Retweeted samc
    Not yet mate taking it slow to be sure
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • edited July 2016

---------Pope
    Solly---Tex---Konsa---Fox
    Johann---Kashi---Harriott
    Holmes---Ajose---Novak

• Sponsored links:

• 5-1 away win
  • We will be there. #supporting the team
  • Got my ticket this morning, Welling are my local team, so have been to quite a few games over the years. Never sure that you get much of an idea of the starting line up team for the season, and each year I have to ask the same question' Who is that in the number whatever shirt?. Hope to meet up with Marc from the 'German addicks' who are over for the game, in the local pub.
  • Dazzler21 said:

---------Pope
    Solly---Tex---Konsa---Fox
    Johann---Kashi---Harriott
    Holmes---Ajose---Novak

Would like this, however doubt very much Johann (assume Gudmondsen) will be involved
  • Suspect there will be teams in each half, and there shouldn't be too much read into team selection, but I for one would like one of the teams to be:

...........Pope
    Solly....Diarra....Konsa....Fox
    Callum.....Kashi....JJ.......Holmes
    ..........Ajose.......Nowak

Also hoping to see RCC, Ceballos, and Umerah and/or Hanlan.

Olly Groome on Twitter just said there will be CAFCPlayer commentary on the match :).

I'm far more excited for this than I should be...
  • Probably also see the likes of Aaron Barnes too and Archie Edwards
  • Probably also see the likes of Aaron Barnes too and Archie Edwards

Yes, curious to see both. There are various youth/academy players I'm curious to see, I just picked out the 3-4 who seem to be closest to the first team/have made appearances (RCC, Konsa, Umerah, Hanlan).

I think Edwards was injured toward the end of last season, any word on if he's fit yet?

I know there was a lengthy thread on what the appropriate number for a squad was, 22-25, and to me a lot of that boils down to who is defined as a 'squad player" (e.g. is Umerah? RCC? THD?). But putting that to one side, it would be nice if we had a solid enough squad that we could start to ease a couple of the youngsters in, in much the same way we did with Gomez. I know there was talk of RCC being linked back to Arsenal (and maybe one other PL club) from SLP. Konsa seems a very gifted player. Given we're in League One, I would hope that we see 2-3 really break through and make themselves a part of the first team.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

usually attend this but giving it a miss this year, hope we get a win for the fans attending and the sun is shining.

I always thought that Welling got most of the revenue from the fixture and that it was a small way of helping out our neighbours?
    Cant find the post, but I flagged up the ticket price when it was announced a few weeks back and I'm sure Airman said that we Katrien had insisted on a cut and that was why the price was so high. Certainly used to be a gratis favour by us to our near neighbours - Welling got all the gate receipts and therefore only needed to charge a tenner.
    KM in shock arsehole decision, totally out of character. How weird
  • @MrLargo I think this was the one where, for no real reason, Simon Walton just booted the ball out the ground
  • I went last year and will be there again on Saturday.

Warm weather, beers on the terrace and catching up with some friends.

Interested to see if the likes of Johnson, Ba, bergidch will be included for this one.

• @MrLargo I think this was the one where, for no real reason, Simon Walton just booted the ball out the ground

That rings a bell. The impact of a fortnight's coaching from Dowie.
  • That Welling defeat was the only one I missed because I was on holiday in Salzburg, couldnt believe it when I heard from my Welling mate that we'd lost (Was then there a few years back when we lost 2-0 as well).

Will never forget one time when we drew 1-1, all through the game was telling my mate that it was just a friendly and that the result didnt matter etc. Welling took the lead and shortly after Steve Bennett (Referee) denied us a clear penalty and I went ballistic, for the rest of the game I treated it like a League match praying we'd win.

"Just a game was it" is the constant reminder I get from my mate of that day
  • Weaver

Nego Sarr Llera Bergdich

Ceballos Ba LePoint

Makienok Tucudean Piotr

2-1 Welling
  • cabbles said:

Weaver

Nego Sarr Llera Bergdich

Ceballos Ba LePoint

Makienok Tucudean Piotr

2-1 Welling

Reading that sent shivers down my spine
  • Got my ticket this morning, Welling are my local team, so have been to quite a few games over the years. Never sure that you get much of an idea of the starting line up team for the season, and each year I have to ask the same question' Who is that in the number whatever shirt?. Hope to meet up with Marc from the 'German addicks' who are over for the game, in the local pub.

Hope to meet you,too! GA Marc
  • No - one has thought to add the 2 players looking for contracts. Buxton and Crofts...
  • No - one has thought to add the 2 players looking for contracts. Buxton and Crofts...

To be honest, I'm not overly excited to see two 32 year-old lower league journeymen, one a center half and the other a scrappy midfielder. Our squad could certainly use some experience, but they feel like a step too far in the other direction.