Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Messi given 21 month jail term (suspended)

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Suspended..... Any jail term of under 2years is a suspended sentence in Spanish law
  • scruffle said:

Suspended.....

Is it?

Oh, doesn't say that in the article. That's not quite as shocking then
  • It's bullshit if he has been found guilty of tax evasion to that sum of money over just a 2 yr period he should be going to prison
  • Will he be allowed to leave the country?
  • Wow, it's all suddenly got messi!
  • C_A_F_C said:

Will he be allowed to leave the country?

Only to play Barcelona CL matches, his probation will sadly coincide with Argentina matches :smile:
  • edited July 2016
    So tax related stories in the media today:-

1. Spain hand jail term to world's top footballer
    2. Swiss order UBS to hand over account details as part of a tax evasion clampdown by US, France & Germany.
    3. In UK the HMRC purge on tax on charitable donations
    4. Osbourne proposes 15% CT rate on those that can be bothered to pay such a tax.
  • Murder your wife and get just 4 years (or 1 if you're well behaved) longer.

Stop giving me ideas Gaz!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow, it's all suddenly got messi!

Little structure, little content,

Reluctant lol for that cheap and messi gag because it made me laugh.
  • Could this impact on any work permit application if ever wanted to play in UK?
  • olster said:

Could this impact on any work permit application if ever wanted to play in UK?

Could impact if he wants to play away in the Champions League maybe?

Surely that's a double jepardy offense hence the low sentence... M
  • That's the real reason he quit international football, he saw this coming

Stop giving me ideas Gaz!!
    I reserve the right to withdraw that LOL should you actually go ahead with it B_O_C...
  • olster said:

Could this impact on any work permit application if ever wanted to play in UK?

Under this government it's practically a requirement to be allowed to work here!

• https://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/news/2016-2017/-weareallleomessi-show-your-support

Bit of a PR Own Goal this one:

FC Barcelona has set up a campaign in support of Leo Messi following the sentence issued this week against the Argentinian and his father.

Using the hashtag #WeAreAllLeoMessi while posting a photo or message with both hands open, the campaign is encouraging all Barça fans to express their sympathy for the greatest footballer in the world by voicing their unconditional support on social networks.

By making it clear that #WeAreAllMessi, we want Leo to know that he is not alone. All members, supporters clubs, fans, athletes, media and everyone else are invited to participate.
  • "the campaign is encouraging all Barça fans to express their sympathy for the greatest footballer in the world"

Sympathy for what? He won't serve time and from what i've read he got a 2m fine despite defrauding them of over 4m.
  • Let him without sin cast the first stone.

I think we've all evaded paying £3.5m of tax. I know I did it twice this week.

#WeAreAllLeoMessi
  • Sponsored links:

• Messi the tax cheat. I posted this on the other Messi thread so I've stuck it on here (sorry to repeat, but I thought this deserved to be well known). Lionel Messi and his dad, who I doubt very much are short of a few bob, have been found guilty of tax evasión, and salting away millions in tax havens to avoid paying their share to help the state where they live.. Despite the fact that they have robbed the Spanish state of 4m euros purely for avarice, which could have paid for a lot of needy things over here, Barcelona FC have launched a campaign #WeAreAllLionelMessi. Nice to see a few Catalans have actually denounced this, and pointed out that not everyone is fleecing the system, but as usual here, the Barça fans see this as an attack by Madrid on their player. On the Brexit thread, someone asked if the Spanish blamed the EU for the mess they are in. Answer being that the EU could never do as much damage to Spain as the Spanish do themselves. And the response to it that it's actually someone elses fault is very typical. There are uncounted corruption cases ongoing here. What makes it painfull is the number of sycophants who rally round the guilty. Say what you like about the Brits, the football fans at any club would not rally round players found guilty of rape, fraus or other misdemenours. I would have to say that for a big club, Barcelona have a huge 'victim' mentality. When they had that near riot during the Barça-Real Madrid game because Figo had transferred from one to the other, the Catalan press, the club and many of the fans tried to blame the Madrid media, and when they got punished, the typical reaction was 'blame Barça as usual'. Now ven breaking the law is aceptable to them.
    Unique.
  • F***ing mental that Barceona are inviting sympathy for a criminal who plays for them - poor old Messi.