Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trainspotting

Choo choo.

Trainspotting Live
Confirmed for BBC Two on 11, 12 and 13 July from 8pm to 9pm

Trainspotting Live will bring three nights of spotting, joy and excitement to BBC Four as Peter Snow, mathematician Dr Hannah Fry and engineer Dick Strawbridge along with a team of rail train enthusiasts revel in the tantalising intricacies, trade secrets and true pleasures of trainspotting... live!

Live from the historic Didcot Rail Museum, Peter Snow will be asking the audience to join the spotting by recording the most frequent to the most elusive trains on the tracks all over country during the three days of live broadcast. Our team of expert spotters will also be waiting in anticipation to catch the full range of British rail stock on camera - from classic steam, to diesel locomotives, to high-speed electric and our rarest beauties - explaining how they did it and delving into their importance in our British heritage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2016/28/trainspotting-live

Comments

• Biggest let down when opening a thread ever!! I expected to see some pictures of locomotives and numbered carriages!
  • Any drugs involved?
  • edited June 2016
    At what time do they start injecting?

Is Peter Snow going to use his own belt?
  • Does anyone remember double decker trains?

They were short lived and ran on the dartford to london line via barnehurst, mid to late 60's
  • Great use of the licence fee!

They were short lived and ran on the dartford to london line via barnehurst, mid to late 60's

My old man used to tell me about them. Apparently used to get very hot on the upper deck in summer.
  • Terrible film. Hardly any trains.

• Yes, indeed - sets 4001 and 4002.

Double-deck trains are quite common throughout Europe these days, because they have solved the boarding/alighting problem. A bit ironic since they have absolutely no double-deck buses (?apart from Berlin?).

• Ha, cafcdave123 ....... you may laugh, but why then are you reading a thread titled Trainspotting?

Come out of the closet.
    You know you want to.

• Sponsored links:

• Three nights?! This is worth cancelling my holiday for.
  • I had a summer job in 1966 at the BBC, between leaving Graham Road School and starting Art College.

Remember the double deckers well from Bexleyheath Station.

What a great summer that was, Pet Sounds, Revolver rand the World Cup!

• Oggy Red said:

Ha, cafcdave123 ....... you may laugh, but why then are you reading a thread titled Trainspotting?

Come out of the closet.
    You know you want to.

FINE

My name is Dave and I'm a trainspotaholic
  • Oggy Red said:

Ha, cafcdave123 ....... you may laugh, but why then are you reading a thread titled Trainspotting?

Come out of the closet.
    You know you want to.

FINE

Does that mean you're addicted to trainspotting or trainspotters?
  • A prudent thread for a traditional Charlton Athletic message board...

Shit I sound like a politician!
  • IA said:

Oggy Red said:

Come out of the closet.
    You know you want to.

FINE

Does that mean you're addicted to trainspotting or trainspotters?
    Why? You interested sugar tits?
  • Oggy Red said:

Come out of the closet.
    You know you want to.

FINE

There was a chocolate bar called double decker if that's any help?
  • Don't remember double decker trains in the Uk, every train is a double decker that I've seen in Switzerland, the lower deck you walk down a few stairs from the platform height and the upper, unsurprisingly up.

They are too tall unfortunately for the way we built most of the UK network.

Shame.
  • This is it, folks .......Britain's double-decker train. And yes, I've travelled on it several times when I was a kid - being kids, we always sat upstairs.
    If the image doesn't show, click on the link below.

A photograph of passengers inside a double-decker train at Charing Cross station, London, taken in November 1949 by an unknown photographer for the Daily Herald.
    The train was designed by Oliver V S Bullied (1882-1970) in the hope of relieving train overcrowding, it ran until 1971.

http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/collection/photography/dailyheraldarchive/collectionitem?id=1983-5236/12720

• Sponsored links:

• Now that looks almost exactly like the Swiss trains. Would they get under the westcombe park, maze hill sewage pipes that run over the line these days?
  • Don't remember double decker trains in the Uk, every train is a double decker that I've seen in Switzerland, the lower deck you walk down a few stairs from the platform height and the upper, unsurprisingly up.

They are too tall unfortunately for the way we built most of the UK network.

Shame.

Yes European trains have a bigger loading gauge, so they are taller and slightly wider. The new Eurostar trains are to European gauge, as HS1 was built to it

On issue with the BR double deck train was that it took ages for people to get on and off, so you end up bring able to run fewer trains which defeats the purpose of them...
  • edited July 2016
    Haha ..... I'm on a roll here. In true Anorak fashion, I've found a video showing what it was like to sit upstairs on the double-decker train.
    Towards the end of the vid, there's even a group of young Charlton fans trainspotting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22FWR3MmBIg#t=150

Right, time for my cocoa.

EDIT:
    For some reason, the video is starting 12 seconds from the end, rather than at the beginning.
    Needs to be restarted from the beginning - it shows the inaugural ceremony, what it was like to travel upstairs and a good social overview of the times.

• You don't drink ovaltine?
  • the on off problem has been fixed by wider doors that open on button push though

While I'm on the subject, Swiss trains, if you are waiting to get off and you push the button to open the doors before the doors are ready to open, guess what, it remembers and opens the doors as soon as the train is stopped.

• You don't drink ovaltine?

Good God, no. Would you?

Here's some double-decker train quotes from commuters:

"The accommodation was quite cramped, and access up the steps from the lower compartment was difficult in crowded conditions."

"I used to travel up from Blackheath and they were used occasionally on my morning train, awful things to try and get out off at London Bridge if it was crowded and you were upstairs. It must have been one of the last trains to have a 'Ladies Only' compartment - not that anyone took any notice in the rush hour !

And another: "I used to catch the double decker train every morning and evening from Slade Green. It would come out of Slade Green sidings and wait on the down platform. It would then go round the loop and on the Barnehurst line. I loved this train. I particularly remember the Ladies Only compartments. Frustrating if you were late and had to hunt firstly for a non smoking compartment and evading the Ladies Only carriages. It took an age for people to get on and off when full. If you happened to be upstairs in a smoking compartment you came out kippered."

http://www.bulleidlocos.org.uk/_oth/4_dd.aspx

Incredibly, some of these carriages still survive apparently at Ashford, but in "deplorable condition".

• Can you still buy ovaltine?

I must admit to buying Force Flakes as my preferred breakfast up until about 3 years ago when for some unknown reason Sunny Jim was removed from my sainsburys shelves.

The deplorable condition of these carriages is deplorable.

I would be happy to renovate two and have them placed on London Bridge sidings, one for my own personal use and the other as a tourist attraction.

• Double decker trains, both in France and Germany, make so much more sense. Unfortunately our shitty rail network doesn't have the space for them.
  • Oggy Red said:

This is it, folks .......Britain's double-decker train. And yes, I've travelled on it several times when I was a kid - being kids, we always sat upstairs.
    If the image doesn't show, click on the link below.

A photograph of passengers inside a double-decker train at Charing Cross station, London, taken in November 1949 by an unknown photographer for the Daily Herald.
    The train was designed by Oliver V S Bullied (1882-1970) in the hope of relieving train overcrowding, it ran until 1971.

http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/collection/photography/dailyheraldarchive/collectionitem?id=1983-5236/12720

Is this a "would ya" moment? ;0)