Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wimbledon 2016

It all starts today... Action is underway around the smaller courts, Djokovic will open Centre Court at 1pm against James Ward.

Murray doesn't play until tomorrow.

Many Brits in this year's draw, both men and women. Have to say I'd be surprised to see half of them make it past the first round.

Comments

• Well usually its just Murray who makes it through so anyone plus him from Britain would be great.

Although Bedine / Konta / Edmund / Watson stand a good chance maybe (Not 100% who each face) then isnt Kate Swan quite a highly rated 17-year old?
  • It all starts today... Action is underway around the smaller courts, Djokovic will open Centre Court at 1pm against James Ward.

Murray doesn't play until tomorrow.

Many Brits in this year's draw, both men and women. Have to say I'd be surprised to see half of them make it past the first round.

So, are you predicting a Brexit then ?
  • Okay well Kyle Edmund has gone out on straight Sets.

James Ward lost the first set 6-0 against Novak, didnt win his first game until 3-1 down in the second and has instantly broken Novak to go 3-2 in the 2nd set... Looks like the mother of all comebacks is on
  • Are all the brits out yet?
  • Swisdom said:

Are all the brits out yet?

zzzzzz
  • Disappointing for Edmund to go out so soon. Bit of a tough 1st round draw that, the world 68 against the world 55
  • Just finished watching Venus' first match against Donna Vekic. I may have to move to Croatia and marry her
  • Rossman92 said:

Just finished watching Venus' first match against Donna Vekic. I may have to move to Croatia and marry her

Too late fella, they won't let you in now :smile:
  • Anyone ever done the overnight queue/camping? Always intended to, never got round to it.
  • Sorry to gloat but won the tennis club raffle and got tickets for mens semi finals day. Hoping to see Federer and Murray for first time. Hoping my contacts come up with promised court 1 tickets for this Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rossman92 said:

Just finished watching Venus' first match against Donna Vekic. I may have to move to Croatia and marry her

You could probably marry Venus in the US it the UK. No need to go to Croatia to do it.
  • Rossman92 said:

You could probably marry Venus in the US it the UK. No need to go to Croatia to do it.
    Dunno her Brother scares me
  • Marcus Willis (world #772) wins against world #54.
  • You could probably marry Venus in the US it the UK. No need to go to Croatia to do it.

I mean, Venus is 36. I've nothing against Cougars but at this current time in my life I think Vekic is a better bet
  • edited June 2016

Marcus Willis (world #772) wins against world #54.

He wasn't 'good enough' to get into Qualifying and was the last player to get into Pre Qualifying.

He won his way through from there to the main draw and then another win today!

Great tournament for Marcus whatever happens now.

Well done!
  • Marcus Willis (world #772) wins against world #54.

Won a grand total of £258 prize money so far this season.
    Getting to the 2nd round at Wimbledon has guaranteed him £50k
  • LenGlover said:

Marcus Willis (world #772) wins against world #54.

He wasn't 'good enough' to get into Qualifying and was the last player to get into Pre Qualifying.

He won his way through from there to the main draw and then another win today!

Great tournament for Marcus whatever happens now.

Well done!
    Which will be to lose to Roger Federer!

But getting £50k, reaching the 2nd round, getting to play one of the all time greats of tennis, and probably on a show court, a great few days for him!

You do get these players who come all the way through qualifying, I think they get on a winning roll, especially on a surface like grass where many players aren't so comfortable
  • Yes that is how Mcenroe made the semi finals before losing to Connors.
  • edited June 2016
    Andy Murray currently beating Liam Broady 6-2 / 6-3

Katie Swan (17-year old) is out along with Aljaz Bedene
  • Marcus Willis has the smile of someone who won a Sports Relief competition for the right to play Federer!
  • Sponsored links:

• C'mon Tim
  • Marcus Willis has the smile of someone who won a Sports Relief competition for the right to play Federer!

His sister is well blessed. Reminds me of Erika Roe
  • I must admit I do like watching the young ladies hitting tennis balls about. I've liked this since I was a youngster, but now I'm a dirty old man.
  • edited June 2016
    shirty5 said:

Marcus Willis has the smile of someone who won a Sports Relief competition for the right to play Federer!

not half.
  • shirty5 said:

Marcus Willis has the smile of someone who won a Sports Relief competition for the right to play Federer!

His newly acquired girlfriend is a sort as well. A dentist (make your filling jokes)
  • Really fed up with the continuous banging on by commentators and presenters about players ranked #754, #561 or #121 playing World No. 2,7 or 9. There are over 7 billion people on the earth so to be ranked 700 odd is pretty good and should not be announced with glee and smirkiness!
  • Got tickets now for Court 1 on Saturday. Lucky boy:)
  • Riviera said:

Really fed up with the continuous banging on by commentators and presenters about players ranked #754, #561 or #121 playing World No. 2,7 or 9. There are over 7 billion people on the earth so to be ranked 700 odd is pretty good and should not be announced with glee and smirkiness!

Yes, but some of them are over a hundred years old and some are under 6 months old and they don't all play tennis.
  • Riviera said:

Really fed up with the continuous banging on by commentators and presenters about players ranked #754, #561 or #121 playing World No. 2,7 or 9. There are over 7 billion people on the earth so to be ranked 700 odd is pretty good and should not be announced with glee and smirkiness!

Yes, but some of them are over a hundred years old and some are under 6 months old and they don't all play tennis.
    I guess that less than 5% of world have ever even picked up a racket which makes being outside the top 100 even more shameful.
  • 16 seeds out already today and others in danger