Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cameron resigns

Comments

• Put the Brexiters on the back foot.
  • Weak weak leader. Good riddance.

Please stay away Boris.
  • "I will not resign if Remain lose the vote"

And

"as Prime Minister I will trigger Article 50"

And we wonder why people have such little faith in politicians. Not all politicians, though, because we lost one last week who very much said and did what she believed in.

• You know it's a mental day when Cameron is forced to resign for not being right wing enough.

• Sponsored links:

• This rankles me. Leavers bleat on about unelected politicians – what about the House of Lords?

It's all been one big ego trip towards number 10 for Boris. He probably doesn’t even care that much about Europe.

And now the Torys will have no one to answer to.
  • Boris was one of the most pro europeans in the Conservative party until recently, I think people assume he will be leader but if the choice is between Brexiters, I think Gove may have a shout. Some people in the Conservative party will Love Johnson, some will not forgive him!
  • Gotta be Al Murray for prime minister now surely
  • RedPanda said:

This rankles me. Leavers bleat on about unelected politicians – what about the House of Lords?

It's all been one big ego trip towards number 10 for Boris. He probably doesn’t even care that much about Europe.

He's played a game and played it well

• Swisdom said:

RedPanda said:

This rankles me. Leavers bleat on about unelected politicians – what about the House of Lords?

He's played a game and played it well

He's about as credible as Trump so on that basis he'll become leader.
  • Cameron hoist by his own petard. God knows who the Tories pick as leader. They need someone to win the next election and Johnson is, probably, the only one the public would go for.
  • Suspect it will be Theresa May.
  • Johnson and Trump, leaders of the 2 independent western powers
  • Sponsored links:

May wasn't overtly in favour of any side and as such will suffer once the Brexiteers get there feet under the table.

It's Boris or some as yet unseen some bright young thing.

• During the campaign, didn't Cameron say something along the lines that the British don't quit, they stay and fight ?
  • During the campaign, didn't Cameron say something along the lines that the British don't quit, they stay and fight ?

We fight to quit.
  • Corbyn has been in favour of leaving the EU much of his life, I think he believes that workers' rights will be best protected by staying in the EU but probably isn't keen on much else it offers.

As for Cameron, he had no choice but to resign really, this way he goes with dignity, otherwise he would get told what to do by the neo-liberal wing of the party using him as a front and be hounded out soon enough anyway.

Although remember that Thatcher resigned but then stood for re-election (and lost). And of course lovely Mr Farage promised to resign, but didn't really, standing unopposed for relection.

May wasn't overtly in favour of any side and as such will suffer once the Brexiteers get there feet under the table.

It's Boris or some as yet unseen some bright young thing.

But equally she isn't tainted by association with either side. She could be the "unifying" candidate (if the debate heads in that direction).

Though I agree it could well be a "bright young thing". I just think that Johnson could prove too divisive – although having said that, he is a smart operator and will most likely be striking a reconciliatory tone in his speeches from now on.
  • Gove has a chance as Conservative remainers will be far more bitter towards Johnson.
  • Has Osbourne resigned yet or is he committing hari kari?
  • Great fun here. I work in education so most of the staff are running around predicting the end of the world... great to see so many Corbinistas slitting their wrists and planning to move to Spongeland... ( i voted IN btw)
  • Boris was one of the most pro europeans in the Conservative party until recently, I think people assume he will be leader but if the choice is between Brexiters, I think Gove may have a shout. Some people in the Conservative party will Love Johnson, some will not forgive him!

If Gove gets the job he may just be even more unelectable than Milliband was!