Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• The four trial sites are on the A406, Hanger Lane to Bounds Green Road; on the A40, Polish War Memorial to Paddington slip road; on the A2, Black Prince to Tunnel Avenue; and on the A316, M3 to Hogarth roundabout.
    This confuses me. During peak times it is quite literally impossible to speed in that area due to the ridiculous congestion along that road. Outside of peak times, who cares? You've basically got a 3-lane motorway with a limit of 50mph. Sure, slow it down for the Kidbrooke interchange but why is it even 50mph at all for the rest of that road?
  • If it prevents collisions and saves lives, then great. I often get the feeling these sorts of things are done for financial reasons though.

60MPH road - Wont catch many people speeding here.

50MPH road (a406) millions of pounds in fines to be had here!
  • Nice little earner Rodney, this time next year...........
  • All speed cameras should be of this type. Putting aside any moral objections to the government's right to interfere with your right to speed, surely the idea of them is to prevent speeding (again, ignoring the fact that they may or may not be used primarily to raise revenue)?

In which case, its much more efficient to use these, because they will actually do the job, rather than potentially cause more accidents from people braking suddenly when they get flashed it notice a gatso camera.

Anyone who doubts this should just witness them in use during road works - no-one is stupid enough to speed through them when the average-speed cameras are in place, but I've seen plenty of people brake so suddenly that they almost cause an accident after getting flashed - a particular beauty is the one on the A3 coming into Chessington where it drops from a 70 to a 50 and there's a camera about 100 yards up from the speed limit change sign.
  • Rizzo said:

The four trial sites are on the A406, Hanger Lane to Bounds Green Road; on the A40, Polish War Memorial to Paddington slip road; on the A2, Black Prince to Tunnel Avenue; and on the A316, M3 to Hogarth roundabout.
    This confuses me. During peak times it is quite literally impossible to speed in that area due to the ridiculous congestion along that road. Outside of peak times, who cares? You've basically got a 3-lane motorway with a limit of 50mph. Sure, slow it down for the Kidbrooke interchange but why is it even 50mph at all for the rest of that road?

If I recall correctly this stretch of the A2 was made a 50 (it was 70) after a fatal accident when a car queuing to get off the road at the junction after the Black Prince was rear-ended by an inattentive driver.
    At the same time, the length of the "local traffic" slip lanes was increased making the road, effectively, two lane.
    What's silly, of course, is that a large number of accidents on the road involve HGVs and the scameras won't do anything to improve safety as far as they are concerned.

• I live in the country and people are regularly killed on the roads around me. There are no cameras though as traffic flows are low. The selected main roads (per car) are some of the safest in the country. This is just about making money.
  • Rizzo said:

The four trial sites are on the A406, Hanger Lane to Bounds Green Road; on the A40, Polish War Memorial to Paddington slip road; on the A2, Black Prince to Tunnel Avenue; and on the A316, M3 to Hogarth roundabout.

Exactly
  • Sounds bad but
    I rarely stick to the speed limit anywhere, unless of course there is a camera. I think some speed limits are ridiculous such as 50mph on the a2
  • there are average speed cameras on the A13 in London. It seems to work OK outside of rush hours which is the only time I ever drive it. The traffic does end up flowing at a fairly constant speed which is around the limit. Once past Dagenham they're off and the road becomes 70mph. I'd be interested to know how it pans out in rush hour, though.
  • Sponsored links:

• They've got them on the M11 near Stanstead. Used to drive up & Down there regulary. Lost count how many idiots I've seen flooring it, slowing down for the camera then speeding to the next, repeating their idiocy to amuse me on a 5 hour drive...................
  • They've got them on the M11 near Stanstead. Used to drive up & Down there regulary. Lost count how many idiots I've seen flooring it, slowing down for the camera then speeding to the next, repeating their idiocy to amuse me on a 5 hour drive...................

Exactly. Not helped by inaccuracies in the above article which says they measure average speed: they don't. They measure the precise time it takes to travel the pre-determined distance between two sets of cameras. The system (remotely?) will calculate the average speed from that. In addition, if there are more than two sets of cameras, you never know which sets are linked. It could be set A to set B; set B to set C; or Set A to set C, etc, etc.
    I know of someone with a very fast car indeed who regularly uses a petrol station between two sets of average speed cameras.
    It seems he absolutely canes it to the petrol station, fills up, then accelerates at max. warp through the next set of cameras. Of course, the system thinks he's only travelled at about 5 mph for the set distance and he doesn't get caught but his style of driving is probably not the safest.
  • cafcfan said:

They've got them on the M11 near Stanstead. Used to drive up & Down there regulary. Lost count how many idiots I've seen flooring it, slowing down for the camera then speeding to the next, repeating their idiocy to amuse me on a 5 hour drive...................

Exactly. Not helped by inaccuracies in the above article which says they measure average speed: they don't. They measure the precise time it takes to travel the pre-determined distance between two sets of cameras.
    That's kind of nitpicking though, as the definition of speed is distance/time. Still, a good point about not knowing which cameras are linked.

I actually agree that average speed cameras are very good for enforcing a speed limit where there are accident blackspots. I just don't really feel that putting them in these particular locations is anything to do with safety and has far more to do with revenue.

• Revenue can only be gained if drivers exceed the speed limit. If you don't want the government to get the money then don't speed.

Simples.
  • Thank you, Captain Obvious.
  • Perhaps I'm being extremely dim here. I've been driving for 20 years now so I'm not exactly an inexperienced driver but surely its safer to drive and keep a reasonable distance behind the car in front, occasionally glancing at the speedometer, rather than literally having to drive 6-7 miles with your eyes fixed on the speedo so you dont go above 50mph in these zones. Its bloody ridiculous.

Dont get me started on the A2 stretch London bound between Dartford Heath and the Black Prince, that is just plainly dangerous.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Perhaps I'm being extremely dim here. I've been driving for 20 years now so I'm not exactly an inexperienced driver but surely its safer to drive and keep a reasonable distance behind the car in front, occasionally glancing at the speedometer, rather than literally having to drive 6-7 miles with your eyes fixed on the speedo so you dont go above 50mph in these zones. Its bloody ridiculous.

Dont get me started on the A2 stretch London bound between Dartford Heath and the Black Prince, that is just plainly dangerous.

Agree, I was a regular user of the A2, it seemed much better before they brought in the 50mph limit, I think the same can be said of sections of the A20 too...ie around the Sidcup & Eltham areas.
  • Rizzo said:

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

My pleasure old boy.

• BDLBDL
    edited June 2016
    Bump, anyone else noticed the new style camera on the A2 between Bexley and Dartford coast bound? The look like Avg speed cameras but road markings seem to suggest that they aren't. It also looks like there are also cameras on the coast bound Bexley turnoff as well.
  • Good stuff. Top tip, don't speed! It really is that simple.
  • Sponsored links:

• BDL said:

Bump, anyone else noticed the new style camera on the A2 between Bexley and Dartford coast bound? The look like Avg speed cameras but road markings seem to suggest that they aren't. It also looks like there are also cameras on the coast bound Bexley turnoff as well.

Yes. Noticed them today while driving in the other direction. Two big yellows on the new gantry so they must be speed cameras. On the bit between the bexleyheath and dartford turn offs which is a 50 limit but everyone does 70.
  • Don't speed and it makes no difference how many cameras or where they are. Choose to speed and get caught, don't moan and bitch about it. It's not difficult.
  • These average speed camera, I'm not sure how I've never got a ticket from them.

I regularly drive at an average of over 60 on the motorway ones where they limit the speed to 50.

Maybe they give a bit more leeway over the old school 10% on the fixed speed check cameras. Although I had heard that rule of thumb had been abolished as speedometers became more accurate (used to be that your speedo could be up to 10% out on calibration).

Anyway, while I agree with low (20mph) speed limited in residential zones, and stick to them, some speed limits are absurd today. Like the a2, elements of the A12 , nearly all motorways,

But then a lot of drivers are pretty rubbish and dangerous even at low speeds. So maybe they are necessary.
  • DRAddick said:

Don't speed and it makes no difference how many cameras or where they are. Choose to speed and get caught, don't moan and bitch about it. It's not difficult.

Or alternatively, strap on a false number plate and drive as fast as you want, anywhere, anytime.
    Which seems to be the case with the stream of cars charging past me in these locations.
  • Some tossed nicked the plates off my campervan last year when it was parked on the street.

Hope their cock falls off, unless it was a lady robber.
  • I work for one of our large national companies and our vans have a device in that tells my boss every time I exceed the speed limit (and every time I brake sharply) so you can imagine how many people I upset when driving through large roads which are 30 mph.

Thing is I also have a limiter on it for 70 mph which is great as it's like having a form of cruise control on the motorway , however I constantly get overtaken by other drivers that work for the same company as me!
  • DRAddick said:

Don't speed and it makes no difference how many cameras or where they are. Choose to speed and get caught, don't moan and bitch about it. It's not difficult.

Or alternatively, strap on a false number plate and drive as fast as you want, anywhere, anytime.
    Which seems to be the case with the stream of cars charging past me in these locations.
    Any idea what Meire's number plates are?

• If I am honest, I break the speed limit most of the time.
    The exception being when driving in built up areas and side streets.
    It must be satisfying to those that don't.
    Just get out of my way please when I am behind you.
  • MEL 1AR