Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fishing

edited June 2016 in Not Sports Related
I refuse to call it a sport, hence the category... Do we have any keen freshwater fishermen on here?

I assume I can fish most places on a non-migratory trout and coarse licence.

I used to fish Carp a fair bit as a boy, but fish a lot less as I've got older.

I've found it to be really quite relaxing and helps clear the mind on the few occasions i've been recently... as such I want to get back into it and wanted to know if we have any skilled types with good tips?

I certainly catch less fish now than I did in my teens...

Comments

• I used to absolutely love fishing when I was a kid, but by my middle teens it was losing its appeal a bit.
    Have been a few times recently with a mate who is a really good carp angler. The gear he has got is unbelievable, the whole carp fishing thing has become much more finessed than when I used to chuck a float about and hope for the best...
    Went to France last week, and for a laugh, took my old rod along as we were staying by a lake. All I got was a load of little catfish, and a cut from one of them as a memento.
    It is relaxing sitting by a lake, and it is fun catching a fish, though they are not as smart as those old angling books I read claimed they are. It's like outwitting a chicken, intelligence wise, apparently. I personally would not class it as a sport either, it is hunting with all the ethical issues that go with that activity.
    There are apparently some good fishing lakes down here in Kent, Monks lake has been mentioned to me as being good, but I have never fished it myself.

• edited June 2016
    Hi Dazzler,

There is actually already a fishing thread mate, seems there are quite a few of us Lifers who like a bit of maggot drowning.

It's pretty much the only time I relax from my anxiety and depression and it is very calming, you're spot on with that.

I try to get out once a week and generally do float (waggler) fishing with a roving carp rod in the hope of something bigger. I used to mainly carp fish but it's nice getting back to basics with the float. I pay £75 a year to belong to Edenbridge Angling Society, which is really good value for some decent waters on the book.

I'm certainly no expert but have been doing it for about thirty years now, always learning. What sort of areas are you looking to fish? If you have a local tackle shop the guys working there can be a mine of information on where to go and where is fishing well.
  • I couldn't find any threads but I'm sure I have commented before on one....

Surprisingly the words carp and fishing are used a lot on here...

Haddocks less so!

I'll mainly be looking at West Sussex, just the odd day here and there.

I need to buy a load of new fishing gear, I do have a carp rod already as well as some smaller rods.

Something relaxing and exciting all at once needs to settle into my weekends.

I did used to like a bit of float fishing, but understand that bottom feeding is where the big boys are found.
  • A place I would definitely recommend for you out that way is Sumners Ponds near Horsham fella... http://www.sumnersponds.co.uk/index.php/2015-04-10-11-19-40/2015-04-10-11-19-41

The wife and I take our campervan there and it's great as I can park in the swim and fish virtually from the van with an ice cold beer :0) They have four or five lakes, although I've only fished the main one. Had a nice 17lb mirror and some excellent Perch, Bream etc. It's also handy as they have bait and bits and bobs on site for as and when you need them. They also have a really nice cafe overlooking the lake that does really nice food.

The good thing is that you don't need to spend a fortune these days to get decent gear. I picked up a lovely float rod for £40 last year after stepping on and breaking my old one. I always try to support my local tackle shop as they are competitive and friendly. For any bits and bobs online I use Fosters of Birmingham as I've found their customer service excellent.

More than happy to do a checklist of things you'll need if that helps at all, just let me know.
  • I'm fishing at Birchmere lake, thamesmead, right now. Had some success...
  • I am going in the opposite direction. Been carp fishing for 25 years but getting a bit bored now sitting/sleeping behind my rods waiting for the buzzer to scream off. I am looking at going back to float fishing and doing shorter hours on the bank.
  • I'm fishing at Birchmere lake, thamesmead, right now. Had some success...

Very nice Bream that. My Grandad used to take me down to Thamesmead, used to be some very decent carp and tench.
  • I am going in the opposite direction. Been carp fishing for 25 years but getting a bit bored now sitting/sleeping behind my rods waiting for the buzzer to scream off. I am looking at going back to float fishing and doing shorter hours on the bank.

Same as me mate. Absolutely loving getting back into the float/feeder fishing and not knowing what species the next dip of the float might bring.
  • I hammered Willow Lake at Darenth couple of weeks back but I decided to give it another go.

Plenty of F1s in there, fairly weighty carp are about but not they aren't interested. Plenty of bites.

6.5/10
  • 3blokes said:

I used to absolutely love fishing when I was a kid, but by my middle teens it was losing its appeal a bit.
    Have been a few times recently with a mate who is a really good carp angler. The gear he has got is unbelievable, the whole carp fishing thing has become much more finessed than when I used to chuck a float about and hope for the best...
    Went to France last week, and for a laugh, took my old rod along as we were staying by a lake. All I got was a load of little catfish, and a cut from one of them as a memento.
    It is relaxing sitting by a lake, and it is fun catching a fish, though they are not as smart as those old angling books I read claimed they are. It's like outwitting a chicken, intelligence wise, apparently. I personally would not class it as a sport either, it is hunting with all the ethical issues that go with that activity.
    There are apparently some good fishing lakes down here in Kent, Monks lake has been mentioned to me as being good, but I have never fished it myself.

I guess that would make fishing a bit funner, no doubt.....
  • Sponsored links:

• 3blokes said:

I used to absolutely love fishing when I was a kid, but by my middle teens it was losing its appeal a bit.

I guess that would make fishing a bit funner, no doubt.....
    The fish start whispering to you, and the colours they go, man!
  • No real problem with fishing myself as a hardened fish eater but I do urge everyone who fishes to ensure that they fish sustainable stocks. Angling doesn't usually deplete stocks (as opposed to the brutality of sea fishing) but it doesn't harm to check.
  • red_murph said:

A place I would definitely recommend for you out that way is Sumners Ponds near Horsham fella... http://www.sumnersponds.co.uk/index.php/2015-04-10-11-19-40/2015-04-10-11-19-41

The wife and I take our campervan there and it's great as I can park in the swim and fish virtually from the van with an ice cold beer :0) They have four or five lakes, although I've only fished the main one. Had a nice 17lb mirror and some excellent Perch, Bream etc. It's also handy as they have bait and bits and bobs on site for as and when you need them. They also have a really nice cafe overlooking the lake that does really nice food.

The good thing is that you don't need to spend a fortune these days to get decent gear. I picked up a lovely float rod for £40 last year after stepping on and breaking my old one. I always try to support my local tackle shop as they are competitive and friendly. For any bits and bobs online I use Fosters of Birmingham as I've found their customer service excellent.

More than happy to do a checklist of things you'll need if that helps at all, just let me know.

Cheers Red

That would be really useful.
  • We all catch less fish in the sea these days unfortunately. They've all been hoovered up. This little boat from Netherlands takes most of them.
  • Dazzler21 said:

I refuse to call it a sport, hence the category... Do we have any keen freshwater fishermen on here?

I assume I can fish most places on a non-migratory trout and coarse licence.

I used to fish Carp a fair bit as a boy, but fish a lot less as I've got older.

I've found it to be really quite relaxing and helps clear the mind on the few occasions i've been recently... as such I want to get back into it and wanted to know if we have any skilled types with good tips?

I certainly catch less fish now than I did in my teens...

Loved fishing at one stage, it got very silly when I got into match fishing and I was spending 3k on a pole and half my life trudging up the motorway to try and win £100, just out of interest.
    How would you categorise "Match" fishing Dazzler if not a sport, 11 v11 or 1v1 = match = competition= sport, Surely?
  • edited June 2016
    Match fishing is a different kettle of....

Yeah I would allow that is a sport.

I do like watching that annoying bloke Robson vs people from wherever he is fishing...
  • Dazzler21 said:

red_murph said:

A place I would definitely recommend for you out that way is Sumners Ponds near Horsham fella... http://www.sumnersponds.co.uk/index.php/2015-04-10-11-19-40/2015-04-10-11-19-41

Cheers Red

No worries mate. Actually getting my gear out in preparation for going with my cousin on Wednesday. Is it just the carp side of things you'd like it for?
  • I'd like to set up 2 rods, one for carp and one for float, so whatever beasties that'll get too!
  • edited June 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

I'd like to set up 2 rods, one for carp and one for float, so whatever beasties that'll get too!

Cool. I'll try and cover the bases in what will be my longest ever post on CL :0)

Carp Stuff

Rod - I've had my Normark Nova's for ages, cost me £45 each about fifteen years ago from Danson Angling and easily coped with fish to 32lbs in France. Wont' change them until they break in half. Loads of decent ones on the market now that do not need to cost the earth. Also bargains to be had on Ebay. I would still say go to your tackle shop to ask advice and see how they feel though.
    Reels - You'll need a baitrunner of some description. I paid decent money for my Shimano's a long time ago and they are still going strong decades later, lots of cheaper excellent makes out there as well now though.
    Line - Strength dependent on the size of the fish in the lake. In France I generally go 15lbs but here I would say 12lbs would be more than enough to cope with most scenarios and give a fair fight.
    Unhooking mat - Essential for the safety of the carp when on the bank.
    Chair - So so many options and at the end of the day depends on what you want to pay.
    Rucksack/Bag - To keep all those essentials in.
    Landing net - Again needs to be big enough for the fish you are targeting. I have one for carp and one for silvers.
    Scales - Gotta know the weight of that new PB :0)
    Forceps - Make for easy removal of hooks.
    Box - To keep all your end tackle in.
    Weights - I generally stick to the inline type but do use others for running rigs.
    Hooks/Hooklinks - Again need to be suited to the size of fish you are after, and check fishery rules to see if they require barbless only. I normally use 8 & 10's on my club waters but it's good to have other options for larger fish. I find tying my own quite calming but if I'm feeling lazy I would pick up a few of the ESP ready rigs, never been let down by them.
    Anti-tangle tubing - Helps protect the fish during the fight and pin everything on the deck.
    Rig bag - to store your hooklinks in.
    Bite Alarms - So so many options. I've had my Fox one's for years and they have never let me down. Went last week and just laid the rod on the floor with the baitrunner on and didn't use any.
    Rod Pod/Rests - Goes without saying, needed to rest your rods on. Apart from my line above when I was slack lining with the rod on the floor.
    Bite indicators - Many varieties. I'm a bit of a tart so have steel chains with St.George flag bobbins, makes no difference to catching anything though ;0)
    Scissors/Braid Blades - Essential
    Hair/Boilie stops - Essential when threading your bait onto the hair.
    Baiting Needle - Essential to get the bait onto your hair rig.
    Brolly/Bivvy - So so many options. Bivvy essential for overnighters as is loads of other stuff but not required for short day sessions, so won't go down that route.
    Controller Float for fishing on the top - Hot sunny days and invariably the fish will not be feeding on the bottom. It's where floater fishing comes into it's own. Get a selection of carp floats and a bag of dog biscuits and a crusty loaf. No better way to catch carp in my opinion. You will need bigger hooks for this and also bait bands to attach the dog biscuits.
    Catapult - A given. Make sure it's robust.
    PVA Bags - I swear by them and also like using PVA string. Pre-tie the night before to save time on the bank.

I'm almost certain I've missed out some stuff but hopefully others can fill in any blanks.

I can't take non-members along for the first two months of our season but more than happy to invite you along for a day in a few months time if Edenbridge/Hever Castle isn't too far to travel.

Thinking about it, I've probably got a few bits and bobs I could send to you to get you started. I'll have a proper think of what is stored in my folks garden shed :0)

I'm off for a luncheon beer, will do the float stuff upon my return fella.
  • Dazzler21 said:

I'd like to set up 2 rods, one for carp and one for float, so whatever beasties that'll get too!

And now the suns out a few floating dog biscuits and watch the line rip from the spool........
    *FOR SALE* Dog biscuits by the bucket full ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• T.C.E said:

Dazzler21 said:

And now the suns out a few floating dog biscuits and watch the line rip from the spool........
    *FOR SALE* Dog biscuits by the bucket full ;)
    But what is your Pedigree, TCE? ;0)
  • red_murph said:

Dazzler21 said:

red_murph said:

Cheers Red

No worries mate. Actually getting my gear out in preparation for going with my cousin on Wednesday.
    Are you from Norfolk?
    Oh, FFS..... thats half a cup of coffee all over the feckin screen.
  • red_murph said:

Dazzler21 said:

red_murph said:

Cheers Red

No worries mate. Actually getting my gear out in preparation for going with my cousin on Wednesday.
    Are you from Norfolk?
    Can't get away with anything on this bloody site ;0)

Anyway, he loves it.
  • We all catch less fish in the sea these days unfortunately. They've all been hoovered up. This little boat from Netherlands takes most of them.

You say that Dippy, but record Cod caught by English angler a couple of months ago - 93lb - 5 feet long it was.
  • Just caught up with all this!

Going fishing on the 20th, buzzing for a full day in a decent swim.
  • Off to cackle hill during the week.
  • Not true about sea fishing. Folkestone fish market the guys there said never seen so much Dover sole, last year they couldn't believe the amount of mackerel , same re plaice

• Just home from a day on the Thames at Runnymede. Loads of small roach, perch and dace on maggot feeder.
  • Just home from a day on the Thames at Runnymede. Loads of small roach, perch and dace on maggot feeder.

Sounds good. Are there any decent Bream or even the odd Barbel around there?

A couple of years ago I was sat in a pub next to Kew Bridge and a bloke was feeder fishing, had some nice looking Bream out. Not sure I'd know where to start on a river the size of the Thames tbh.