Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton's Forgotten Normandy Hero

Today on 6 June, the anniversary of D-Day, the Charlton Athletic Museum are both proud and humble to re-introduce to the Addicks family a Charlton player who fought in the Battle of Normandy.

Lest We Forget

http://cafcmuseum.itrm.com/news/charltons-forgotten-normandy-hero-

Comments

• Great read. There's a film in there.
  • I absolutely love reading these accounts of past Charlton players lost in the wars.

Huge thanks to Clive and Ben for bringing these to us.

And RIP Geoff Reynolds. Far too short a life, but you played for Charlton and that is something very special.
  • I am just thankful that although the World is still a troubled place we have not had to face the prospect of losing a whole generation two war, like those of the first part of the last century.

Be grateful for the relative calm and never doubt the sacrifice of those who went before us.

RIP
  • Fantastic work by the Museum. Is it just me that can't see the top picture though?

He mustn't half have run hard in that initial match, because he'd lost an inch by the time he registered!
  • No, the photo is due to yours truly not knowing how to work the new site.
  • As ever, great work by Ben and Clive to bring this story to us.

Many thanks.
  • Well done Clive et al.

"And there it was showing him as having re-signed for Charlton on 5 December 1942".

50 years earlier to the day.
  • RIP Geoffrey Reynolds
    Gone but not forgotten.
  • amazing story, thanks guys
  • rina said:

amazing story, thanks guys

Cheers.

We're thinking of how best to commemorate Reynolds and the current thinking is to get a small portland stone plaque to place alongside the memorial on the West Stand but that's not set in stone (pun intended).

Suggestions and donations welcome.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Fantastic work by the Museum. Is it just me that can't see the top picture though?

He mustn't half have run hard in that initial match, because he'd lost an inch by the time he registered!

Height on card in aged 18 when he signed
    Addickted said:

Well done Clive et al.

"And there it was showing him as having re-signed for Charlton on 5 December 1942".

50 years earlier to the day.

I noticed that. Also 8 May is VE Day

• Interesting read.

One minor point regarding Catterick, it's a good distance North of York. Surely a soldier based there would be more likely to turn out for Darlington / M'boro. Is it not more likely he was based at one of the two York barracks?

• Interesting read.

One minor point regarding Catterick, it's a good distance North of York. Surely a soldier based there would be more likely to turn out for Darlington / M'boro. Is it not more likely he was based at one of the two York barracks?

I did say Catterick or another local garrison. We don't know where he was stationed.
  • Excellent, well done. Love reading these historical connections.

I go over to Ypres and surrounds regularly. It's probably my favourite place to be and visiting various cemeteries and sites my favourite thing to do. I will need to make a note of the graves and visit them in my next trip.
  • DRAddick said:

Excellent, well done. Love reading these historical connections.

I go over to Ypres and surrounds regularly. It's probably my favourite place to be and visiting various cemeteries and sites my favourite thing to do. I will need to make a note of the graves and visit them in my next trip.

Caterpillar Valley cemetery, Longueval on The Somme houses the grave of Fred Chick who was the Charlton trainer in the 1913/14 season and died at the Battle of The Somme on 31st August 1916.
  • DRAddick said:

@DRAddick Also http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/9900/R.E. Farm Cemetery For Herbert Nightingale
  • DRAddick said:

@DRAddick Also http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/9900/R.E. Farm Cemetery For Herbert Nightingale
    Cheers mate.
  • Excellent read. Many thanks for posting
  • Fantastic read. My Mother in law lives in Watchfield about 20 metres from the Cemetery. The Cemetery is very small with a handful of graves, and lies behind a beautiful church. I have seen the grave. It stands out, as the day and month he died has some significance to me. Next time I visit and walk past i will give him a little nod.
  • edited June 2016
    1905 said:

Fantastic read. My Mother in law lives in Watchfield about 20 metres from the Cemetery. The Cemetery is very small with a handful of graves, and lies behind a beautiful church. I have seen the grave. It stands out, as the day and month he died has some significance to me. Next time I visit and walk past i will give him a little nod.

What a coincidence.

@1905 I'll speak to you about putting a smaller marker by his grave noting his connection to Charlton and SE London

Geoff's grave is just to the left of centre in this picture almost on the path

• Sponsored links:

• The church
  • Yep that's the Church and that's the grave. More than happy to put a marker down and take some photos. Down there very regularly so let me know.
  • 1905 said:

Yep that's the Church and that's the grave. More than happy to put a marker down and take some photos. Down there very regularly so let me know.

@1905 will be in touch
  • They gave their tomorrows
    For our todays