Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Si

Something about Pest Control, isn't that your bag Rob?
  • No, you're thinking of the fella that had the newsagents up Muswell Hill.
  • I wish it was up Muzwell Hill, Grove Park BR Station pal

; )
  • edited May 2016
    Well, in fairness, what did he expect deep in the heartland of Liverpool's support...
  • edited May 2016

Ahh so that's what NWA stands for Nawty Wall 'Ardmen
  • Sponsored links:

• The irony is that the police arrested him
  • cafctom said:

I know the content is different but why was this man arrested yet the bloke with an Islamic State flag outside Parliament was allowed to walk free without arrest?

I'm sure Chizz, Leuth or the bloke that shags cats will be able to put you straight on this one.
    Or save yourself some time and undoubted angst and read the old thread, rather than sail round this bouy again.
  • cafctom said:

I know the content is different but why was this man arrested yet the bloke with an Islamic State flag outside Parliament was allowed to walk free without arrest?

I'm sure Chizz, Leuth or the bloke that shags cats will be able to put you straight on this one.

cafctom said:

They've all gone a bit quiet since the controversial, but not in the slightest bit offensive, advert for the 'minority' EU vote.

As for Toms point, he's 100% right in what he's saying of course. Legitimate question
  • edited June 2016
    cafctom said:

I've read the article above, but hadn't heard of the other incident you mentioned. So without knowing all of the facts, here are some speculative explanations, all of which could well be wide of the mark:

1) The article says that police received reports, so it could be that someone contacted the police about the t-shirt, but not about the flag.

2) The article states that the man was charged with "displaying abusive writing... likely to cause distress." I've no idea about the offence involved here, but the selective text quoted in the article refers to writing, not flags. I don't know what equivalent offence there may be that would apply to flags.

3) The man in the article had been asked to leave a pub, so there might have been other factors in play in the decision to arrest him; if he was causing problems it might have been seen as a simple way to remove him from the situation.

4) The judgement of the West Mercia officers at the scene of the t-shirt incident might have differed from the judgement of the Met officers at the scene of the flag incident (if there were, indeed, officers there who were aware of the flag).

5) The t-shirt related to Hillsborough. There has recently been a huge amount of national media coverage about police failings at Hillsborough. It's possible that this was a consideration for the police in dealing with this incident.

6) Location. It's possible that curbing people's freedom of expression is viewed as a much more sensitive issue outside the heart of our nation's democracy, where people regularly demonstrate, than it is in a pub in Worcester.

As I said, all purely speculation, and there may be alternative reasons that you wish to speculate about. As they were two different events, at two different times, in two different places, involving different people, there's not really any way of knowing the answer, unless any of us are prepared to talk to all the people involved in both incidents.
  • cafctom said:

Because the police get it wrong sometimes. I wasn't aware of this, and my first thought was that having a flag isn't illegal. I then did a bit of research and a quote from a copper at the time indicated that actually, in this case, it was.

“Wearing, carrying or displaying of an emblem or flag, by itself, is not an offence unless the way in which, or the circumstance in which, the emblem is worn, carried or displayed is such as to cause reasonable suspicion that the person is a supporter or member of a proscribed organisation.

“While support of and membership of ISIS is unlawful it is not a criminal offence to advocate the creation of an independent state.”

Now call me old fashioned, but if draping a socking great flag around yourself and having your child wave one in the air isn't showing your support for something, I'm Charlie's aunt?

If I were walking down the street wearing a red and white scarf, with a red and white flag around my shoulders with a big white sword in a black circle on it, with the words "Charlton Athletic Football Club" written on it, and a policeman was looking for a Charlton fan for some unspecified offence, I wonder how far I would get in persuading him that in fact I had no interest in football and in no way supported whoever this "Charlton Athletic Football Club" were?

This does not mean that I have become a right wing nutter, just that I agree in this particular case that a mistake was made by a couple of coppers on the beat. They are not perfect.
    Correct answer.
  • cafctom said:

Because the police get it wrong sometimes. I wasn't aware of this, and my first thought was that having a flag isn't illegal. I then did a bit of research and a quote from a copper at the time indicated that actually, in this case, it was.

“Wearing, carrying or displaying of an emblem or flag, by itself, is not an offence unless the way in which, or the circumstance in which, the emblem is worn, carried or displayed is such as to cause reasonable suspicion that the person is a supporter or member of a proscribed organisation.

“While support of and membership of ISIS is unlawful it is not a criminal offence to advocate the creation of an independent state.”

Now call me old fashioned, but if draping a socking great flag around yourself and having your child wave one in the air isn't showing your support for something, I'm Charlie's aunt?

If I were walking down the street wearing a red and white scarf, with a red and white flag around my shoulders with a big white sword in a black circle on it, with the words "Charlton Athletic Football Club" written on it, and a policeman was looking for a Charlton fan for some unspecified offence, I wonder how far I would get in persuading him that in fact I had no interest in football and in no way supported whoever this "Charlton Athletic Football Club" were?

This does not mean that I have become a right wing nutter, just that I agree in this particular case that a mistake was made by a couple of coppers on the beat. They are not perfect.
    There was a documentary on a while back called The Jihadi Next Door, in it a group of ISIS supporters take group pictures of emselves with an ISIS flag, in a central London park. When the police turn up, the camaraman films one of these pricks getting in the face of the copper, shouting and spitting and askin him prove anything before he'll let him do a search his bag. It ended with the islamists walking off, leaving 2 red faced ob. I just think the camaraman coulda stepped in and helped the copper out, sod the documentary. Not sure if they were nicked after the program was aired, but I wouldn't hold me breath
  • Sponsored links:

• Charged with being in possession of an offensive wife.
  • cafctom said:

There was a documentary on a while back called The Jihadi Next Door, in it a group of ISIS supporters take group pictures of emselves with an ISIS flag, in a central London park. When the police turn up, the camaraman films one of these pricks getting in the face of the copper, shouting and spitting and askin him prove anything before he'll let him do a search his bag. It ended with the islamists walking off, leaving 2 red faced ob. I just think the camaraman coulda stepped in and helped the copper out, sod the documentary. Not sure if they were nicked after the program was aired, but I wouldn't hold me breath
    watched the documentary myself - needs a good kicking imo, probably down the park whilst majority of folk were at work.
  • Man wears offensive t-shirt. People get offended.

People should get over themselves.
  • People write offensive posts, Chizz hits the Flag button

Chizz needs to get over herself

You've already explained, at great length, on another thread, your mortal fear of flags!
  • cafctom said:

double standards, but then again im just a racist hiding behind a keyboard :smile:
    Unusual for a racist keyboard warrior hiding behind a pseudonym to be so self-aware. Hopefully that's progress. The irony of this exchange doubtlessly lost in the ether.
  • edited June 2016
    Taken from an old thread, on a different topic:

Load of rubbish. Wear what you want and don't give a stuff what anyone else thinks.

I think it's an affront to freedom of speech to arrest and charge someone for wearing an offensive t-shirt. Other than offending (and, so what?) people around him, what's the big deal? If you don't like what it says, don't read it.

The words are stupid, offensive and unpleasant. But all they convey is that he is probably stupid, offensive and unpleasant too. But not that he's a criminal.
  • cafctom said:

Do you think they should both have been arrested? Or do you think neither of them should?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!