Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should it be top 3 promoted?

Now obviously a weird one considering our playoff history but just heard Brighton finished 15 points ahead of plucky little Wednesday which is effectively 5 more wins over the course of a regular season yet the latter will possibly get promoted because Brighton bottled it over two games.

Love the playoffs for the drama etc and good luck to whoever goes up but seems odd that such a big prize after such a long season of relative consistency can slip away on the basis of essentially a couple of knockout games.

Comments

• edited May 2016
    some seasons it is unfair, like this one where 3 teams have been clearly the better sides, but brighton have had numerous opportunities and really bottled it.
  • To give a proper answer... I love the Play-Offs myself and think they add great drama to a season.

The danger of not having them is that the three strongest teams will go up each year making it harder for a team with a smaller budget to stand a chance of promotion (i.e. Brentford last season and Sheffield Wednesday this season).

Its no different at the end of the day to 2nd / 3rd / 4th getting Champions League places... They've not won anything so why should they go into a competition which highlights Champions?

Maybe to make it even more interesting they should state that the bottom two sides go down automatically whilst the next four sides above them also go into a Play-Off with the losers from that going down (Not saying that because it would mean Charlton would have entered a Play-Off this season).
  • No
  • I'd say no because the playoffs are too entertaining good way to end a season.
  • Further to my comment I also think it makes the whole League season more interesting and exciting.

If you scrap the Play-Offs then games will most likely become more mundane and boring... Sheffield Wednesday v Cardiff would have no meaning, Wednesday would know that they're 15-pts from promotion so a win would become meaningless with neither team caring about a win...

Whereas this season both knew that defeat would let the other into the Play-Offs whilst potentially allowing another team further down the League into the fight for that last Play-Off spot.
  • No, the fact third plays sixth balances the points gap out and is the most sensible structure IMO.

Is Scotland third plays forth over two legs with the winner playing second over two legs with the winner playing second bottom of the division above over two legs. Be grateful for what you've got rodders!
  • No, the fact third plays sixth balances the points gap out and is the most sensible structure IMO.

Is Scotland third plays forth over two legs with the winner playing second over two legs with the winner playing second bottom of the division above over two legs. Be grateful for what you've got rodders!

But with Scotland the Play-Off also includes the team from the League above so its

Team in League above v 4th
    2nd v 3rd

So its no different to the English structure in a sense (i.e. the top team plays the bottom whilst the two teams that finish in the middle play-off spots play each other)
  • Sponsored links:

• The team in the league above enters for the final two games and could play 2nd/3rd/4th

This season Kilmarnock (2nd bottom in premiership) are playing Falkirk (2nd in championship) over two legs.

Falkirk have already beaten Hibs (3rd in championship) over two legs after Hibs beat Raith (4th in the championship) over two legs.

Kilmarnock could easily have been playing any of the three teams.
  • Had Brighton beaten Sheffield Wednesday we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Keep it as it is.
  • Morally yes scrap them, but in reality keep them they keep the season alive and add to crowds. With a month of the season a club could be fighting to avoid being sucked into a relegation battle or a play off place.
  • The team in the league above enters for the final two games and could play 2nd/3rd/4th

This season Kilmarnock (2nd bottom in premiership) are playing Falkirk (2nd in championship) over two legs.

Falkirk have already beaten Hibs (3rd in championship) over two legs after Hibs beat Raith (4th in the championship) over two legs.

It's like that for promotion to the top tier and bottom tier in Scotland, but for the other levels, the team from the higher division enter at the same stage as everyone else. For example, Livingston lost to Stranraer in the playoff semi-finals for promotion to/relegation from the second tier. Cowdenbeath also lost to Queens Park at the semi-finals.
  • NO .. although the top three in division 2 are promoted and only 2 relegated .. the play offs are a great way to end the season
  • Fine as it is.

The only tweak I would maybe consider is 3rd place are at Wembley automaticallyand 4th and 5th play off for right to meet them
  • No, playoffs are great, and no to what they do in Scotland and non-league with the highest team qualifying for the final and a quarter between 5th and 6th.

What about going back to a team in the top division getting involved in the mix?
  • The introduction of the playoffs is probably the single best thing that's happened in English football ever.

• No, the season wluld peter out a lot earlier with a lot of midtable teams having nothing to play for - at least this way more teams are in with a chance of reaching the play offs.

That and the fact that they are brilliant to watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• The introduction of the playoffs is probably the single best thing that's happened in English football ever.

Winning the World Cup a close 2nd.

Third place is inventing/codifying the sport.
  • I think it should be done the same as the leagues below the conference do it.

if you finish 3rd you play the 6th team in a 1 off leg at home, if you win you play the final at home too. Basically whoever is the highest ranking plays at home in 1 off legs.

Apart from the backpass rule.
    Have you seen any of the games from the 80's recently - what boring tosh as centre back passes to centre back and then to the keeper.
  • The Playoffs are what make the Championship so much more interesting than the Premier League towards the business end of the season, more often than not.
  • No, the playoffs are brilliant.
  • Posting without reading. Absolutely not. Teams know a 3rd - 6th place finish will mean the play offs. So 3rd place can't have any argument if a team who is 15 points behind them get to Wembley / go up ahead of them.

It's an exciting end to the season, good for the fans and good for TV. Also means that mid table teams usually are still in with a shout of something to until the last few games of the season.

I'd actually like to see more teams relegated from the. So bottom 3 down, then a relegation play off between the next 4 teams. This meaning top 3 in the championship go up and 3-7 in the play offs. There are to many teams that say "we'll be happy to finish 17th" unfortunately, should we ever make the premier league that would be us.... I'd take that now though.

This is what happened for the first two seasons of the playoffs. Out of those six sides (over two seasons) only one side managed to 'stay up' can anyone think who that was?
  • In answer to the original question the idea of a league with promotion and relegation is not so much about reward and punishment it's done to ensure a balance. The teams that win 'too much' are put into a tougher division to give them more challenging games and the teams that lose 'too much' are allowed to pit themselves against weaker sides so that they can win a few more games.

With the money the way it is (especially in the Premier League) that 'third' side to be promoted (via the playoffs) will be so much better that the other sides in the playoffs by the following season that it doesn't matter that they weren't as well equipped in May because by September they will have replaced half their side.

The playoffs are great drama (although this season the first legs have taken much of the drama out of the second legs) but, as others have said it's the way the season is kept alive until the last couple of games that is the real benefit.

I might, even, go as far as to make the playoffs involve eight teams from each division. That way you would have even more teams fighting for something in the last game of the season. Imagine if tenth place gave you a shot at promotion? You could have a one leg tie to get into the semis with the highest placed team being at home. You could, if you were worried about the number of games, make the semi's one leg too with the highest placed team getting home advantage again.
  • I would also sanction the bottom four in each division entering a playoff too with one of them surviving. That would give us another five games (two legg semi's and a Final at Wembley) that would potentially give us another two weeks of football on every night with high stakes winner take all - which is what it's all about, after all.
  • The play-offs are great. Football is not a level playing field because of the differences in wealth and the play-offs give more teams a chance.