Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 8th May 1999. Aston Villa 3 Charlton 4

8th May 1999. Aston Villa 3 (1) (Barry7, Joachim 66, 79) Charlton Athletic 4 (1) (Barry (og) 3, Mendonca 56, Robinson 68, Mills 89). Villa Park. Att 37,705

Villa: Oakes, Watson, Calderwood (Vassell 61), Southgate, Wright, Stone, Draper (Ehiogu 61), Taylor, Barry, Merson, Joachim. Unused subs: Thompson, Samuel, Enckelman.

Charlton: Petterson, Mills, Rufus, Tiler, Powell, Stuart, Redfern (Barnes 83), Kinsella, Robinson (Brown 81), S Jones, Mendonca (Pringle 83). Unused subs: Bowen, Parker.

Referee: Mike Riley (Leeds)

Sent Off: Petterson (80)for bringing down Joachim outside the area. Watson (89) for pulling back Pringle who who closing in on goal. Steve Brown took over in goal for a club record seventh time (at all levels).

On the brink: With Southampton winning at Wimbledon, Charlton were on the brink of relegation to the first division but Mills last gasp free kick, awarded after Watsons foul on Pringle, gave the Addicks a reprieve.

Comments

• edited May 2007
    I recall Villa trying to wind up everyone connected with Charlton up by parading Jlloyd Samuel as their 'young player of the year' before the game.
  • My fondest memory from this game is Steve Browns save from the free kick when Petterson got sent off, nice first touch of the ball Brownie.

I was right behind Mills free kick and ducked because I thought it was going to hit me in the face.
  • 9 years ago today so I thought I'd bump it.
  • Didnt go but was sitting in kitchen watching football focus. Jumped up and banged my head on the lampshade which fell down and smashed.

happy days
  • One of the best away days ever...FACT. Got soaking wet but I didn't care. Meant that we lived to fight another day...Ah, the memories
  • Thank god for Carl Tilers right nipple!

I was in the Villa end for this one
  • Sublime piece of Sir Clive for the second one, held off Southgate, paused to line it up then...WALLOP! The third goal bounced around and the lino gave it, Johnny Robinson had a fit as I remember when the lino ran back to the middle and the ref raised his arm. As for the fourth...
    I remember Kinsella walking into the goalmouth arms aloft at the end and booting the advertising board behind the net, one of those moments when you felt everyone was in it together.
  • Southgate said after the game that out support was unbelievable. As i recall they even opened up a side stand to get more in.

Other than the Rufus goal at Wembley i cant remember going apeshit like i did when Mills rocket hit the net.

Mendoncs last goal for us as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Southgate said after the game that out support was unbelievabl

yeah credit where credit's due a great turn out that day must've been 4-5k of addicks there as opposed to 4-500 we usually brought to villa park great atmosphere...
    another boring curbs game
  • Cap n Gown before the game was mental. Haven't seen so many drunk Addicks since Southend away
  • Sponsored links:

• One hell of a day. Think it was about halfway through the first half, games were going against us and we were down. I stood up and went mental at them (players) - completely lost it screaming and shouting. Remember the Villa fans clapping us out of the ground.

Rang up Nigel Goodge doing Charlton Live on Millennium and just as I was about to talk someone ran up, hugged me shouting we f*****g did it - needless to say it went out on the air - never did see who it was?
  • We went to this one in a limo we were fecked proper.

Best away day i have ever ever had top day one pal pished his pants worse than Charlton Dan hence the nick name he has now of pissy pants.

Fat rob, me, Eddie addick plus others un feckling believable, the next day i was playing for my Sunday team over here in Enfield and one of my pals come upto me and said I went to the Villa game yesterday in the box last minute thing with my boss.

driving back down the motor way who did i see hanging over the bridge of the service station with a crate of Stella on his sholuder cheering and singing but you you big fat bstd.

My boss was like look at that football thug and i couldnt exactly say thats our Left back doubt if he will play tomorrow but you looked like you had enough beer by then

my response never we got on it all the way home
  • what a day even have the match day ball indoors
  • Match is currently being shown on ESPN Classic (from 19.15) and again at 00.40 tonight.
  • one of "those" games

absolutely insane day out... when you think that we got this and Wembley in the space of a year - unbelievable stuff
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]one of "those" games

absolutely insane day out... when you think that we got Scunny and Blackpool in the space of a month - unbelievable stuff
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Match is currently being shown on ESPN Classic (from 19.15) and again at 00.40 tonight.

nice one , sky plussing this baby.... the good old days of boring premiershit football
  • Remember being *really* drunk. . . . singing with a Danish student on the train home.

Was in the 1st row of seats in the away end and got totally soaked.

Just remembered was so pished that I couldnt see the other end of the ground so was watching it on the big screen *shameful*

John Robinson's finest game for us (bar possibly Man Utd at home)

Yes OohAaah the season Curbs took us down. . . .
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Yes OohAaah the season Curbs took us down. . . .

and remind me of the season after that relegation did we do better than 11th??
  • I was in a box behind the away end. The only Charlton supporter in there. Charlton fans were giving me shit during the game thinking I was Villa. When Mills scored at the end I was going absolutely mental and the fans in front of the box turned round and clapped. An amazing day. A definate I was there day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cheers Bing, just Sky+ed
  • Excellent close up of me and my unc going potty after the third goal.
  • gonna watch this tonight, right looking forward to it. Take it its not the full game, how long are the highlights ?
  • Any body who missed it, it's on again today at 14.50. I'm just watching the recording from last night. At the moment it's 1:1 and were under the cosh!
  • Don't let me know how it finished, Bing...... I might want to watch it tonight.

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Rang up Nigel Goodge doing Charlton Live on Millennium and just as I was about to talk someone ran up, hugged me shouting we f*****g did it - needless to say it went out on the air - never did see who it was?

You must have been well pissed then Dave :-)
  • Loved watching this at the weekend.

Paused the crowd bits and managed to pick out loads off here looking very younger !!
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Loved watching this at the weekend.

Paused the crowd bits and managed to pick out loads off here looking very younger !!

Spotted HugoZHackenbush on there... looking no younger though ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Loved watching this at the weekend.

Spotted HugoZHackenbush on there... looking no younger though ;-)

I'm there, wearing a blue baseball jacket with bright yellow sleeves, my original Charlton handle was Blue with Yellow armies
  • I am on there as is Eddie addick