Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Deep Purple

A bit random, but on a real Deep Purple kick at the moment, specifically the Gillan/Glover Mark 2 line up from the 70s. Worth getting into the post Gillan stuff or even the 90s post Ritchie Blackmore lineup?

Hoping to see them live on their next tour as well: anyone know it they've still got it, Made in Japan style, or whether they're a clapped out nostalgia act now?

Comments

• Clapped out old nostalgia act I'm afraid.

If you want to see what Purple were like in the 70's try www.deeppurpleinrock.co.uk.

No rock gig is like the 70's or 80's now thanks to them only being allowed to turn it up to '7' for our H&S. Gone are the days of leaving the Hammy Odeon and having that whistling in your ears for three days.
  • Oh and just annoy Henry, there's always www.purplezeppelin.com

They just happen to be playing at The Hazlitt Theatre, Maidstone next Saturday.
  • Addickted said:

Clapped out old nostalgia act I'm afraid.

If you want to see what Purple were like in the 70's try www.deeppurpleinrock.co.uk.

No rock gig is like the 70's or 80's now thanks to them only being allowed to turn it up to '7' for our H&S. Gone are the days of leaving the Hammy Odeon and having that whistling in your ears for three days.

No smoking to give that certain "atmosphere", and, if you go to one that young people are attending, hardly any drinking and a thousand "devices" held up recording it so they can show their friends what a wonderful time they are having holding "devices" up in the air...
  • Addickted said:

Oh and just annoy Henry, there's always www.purplezeppelin.com

They just happen to be playing at The Hazlitt Theatre, Maidstone next Saturday.

They play Chislehurst a lot.

Strangely I don't go.

BTW what is the Led Zeppelin link to Bexley?

Saw a map of most successful bands from each London boro' and bexley's was the blues thieves. Thought they were from West Bromwich.
  • edited May 2016
    I reckon Henry is a closet hard rock / heavy metal fan really, in particular Led Zeppelin.

What else could explain him turning up early doors in just about every thread it gets mentioned?

(John Paul Jones was born in Sidcup)
  • Anyway, I saw Deep Purple years ago at Hammersmith and it was well up there as one of the worst gig s ive ever been to.

My lasting memory is that Blackmore didn't come out for the encore when they did Smoke on the Water, so they played the opening riff on keyboards instead. Yep, one of the most recognisable guitar riffs of all time played, by the people who wrote it, on a keyboard.

I've actually just looked it up as it still doesn't sound right and I'm now thinking it was just a bad dream, but it's true.
  • Disappointed the last time I saw them a couple of years ago - Jon Lord made a sneaky appearance for one number which made a difference.
  • Lol, that's rubbish. It even goes against its own criteria.
  • Hmmm, is that the same Pink Floyd that came from from Cambridge, Rod Steward the Scot and Phil Collin's the Charlton supporting train robber :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• And everyone knows the Stones were "from" Dartford.
  • Off_it said:

Lol, that's rubbish. It even goes against its own criteria.
    Yes, and surely the Greenwich one should be Squeeze rather than Jools by himself? Jools hasn't sold that many solo albums whereas Squeeze have had a long career with and without him...
  • Coverdale or Gillan best singer?
  • Joe Lynn Turner....... not!
  • Clapped out nostalgia act
  • All agreed to not bother with the current lineup then. What about post 1973? All downhill after Gillan and Glover left or are the Mark 3 albums any good?
  • Stig said:

Hmmm, is that the same Pink Floyd that came from from Cambridge, Rod Steward the Scot and Phil Collin's the Charlton supporting train robber :wink:
    Rod Stewart is a Londoner. Highgate I think.

No interest in the other two but I do know where Syd Barrett lived
  • Stig said:

Hmmm, is that the same Pink Floyd that came from from Cambridge, Rod Steward the Scot and Phil Collin's the Charlton supporting train robber :wink:
    Only because you sold him those special mushrooms.
  • Addickted said:

Stig said:

Only because you sold him those special mushrooms.
    Perfectly legal and very effective as you yourself know.

• Saw them last year and thoroughly enjoyed the concert. Obviously not like in the 70's but still a good night
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw Deep Purple on May 12th 1974 at the Lewisham Odeon,Burn Tour supported by Elf.
  • Or to put it another way, except for Elvis and the Beatles, anyone who was anyone came from London.
  • Looking at a live album from 1976 in my local CD shop with Tommy Bolin on guitar. Worth a punt? Only know the stuff with Richie Blackmore on guitar.
  • Tommy Bolin was pretty tasty on guitar.
  • Looking at a live album from 1976 in my local CD shop with Tommy Bolin on guitar. Worth a punt? Only know the stuff with Richie Blackmore on guitar.

who's the vocalist ? .. probably more important to DP than the guitarist as integral as was Blackmore
  • David Coverdale, with Glenn Hughes. Only know the tracks Burn and Stormbringer from the best of.
  • David Coverdale, with Glenn Hughes. Only know the tracks Burn and Stormbringer from the best of.

don't really know this version of DP .. sounds as though only Paice and Lord remain of the 'classic' line up .. Coverdale is a VERY good and underrated singer though .. I'd like to have a listen to this album, think I'll track it down
  • Burn, Storm bringer and Come Taste the Band great albums all of them, a bit more bluesy/funky than the mark 2 stuff, but I think as good as machine head.
  • Cheers - will pick up the live album and, if I like it, the mark 3 and 4 studio albums.
  • Nobody's Perfect is a superb live album. Blackmore, Gillan, Glover, Lord and Paice. Well worth a listen.