Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hillsborough - BBC2 Documentary

Anyone else watching this?

50 or so minutes in and I find myself wondering how the inquest jury coped. Tough tough watch.

Comments

• Hard watching the footage of people crushed at the front, never seen it before.
  • Hard watching the footage of people crushed at the front, never seen it before.

I went and busied myself when they were showing that. I remember seeing some horrific pictures in the press at the time, but the news footage was not something I wanted to see.
  • Simply horrified by what I'm watching and the lies I'm hearing
  • I wasn't even born when Hillsborough happened. This show is the most in depth show about the disaster I have ever seen and it's unbelievably moving. The eye witness testimonies are so sad.
  • Horrific is the only word for it.
  • I cried when I read the guardian article, I remember it being shocking at the time but was a bit too young to appreciate how bad.

I don't want to see video of the deaths.
  • Brings back the memories of seeing it unfold that day and the days after, maybe it's just the time having passed but I don't recall that footage at the time, very harrowing, very emotional.
  • I don't know what upsets me most about Hillsborough.

The fact that so many lies were told and the cover up aided by the establishment......

The fact that it has taken so long for the lies to be disproved.....

Or the probability that nothing will change as a result of this.
  • Ended up in tears (which anyone who knows me well will testify is a very rare occurance), and I always do whenever I watch or read about it. Some shocking footage in this one. Just an absolute disgrace in so many ways.
  • I will watch this sometime soon. I'll need to mentally prepare myself for it. I can't even imagine what it was like to be there on the day. I've seen so much on YouTube about H'boro which brings me to tears.

I remember going there to see Charlton (must have been early 89/90) and blue tarpaulin covered the terracing in the leppings lane end. I found it very shocking. Can't remember anything about the game. I just remember the empty terrace below us and the tarpaulin.
  • Sponsored links:

• A really interesting but tough watch.

Awful for how long it all took to come out, awful planning of the event and awful how those who clearly obstructed justice and lied will never really have to answer with the prison terms they deserve. The shit rag sun newspaper, should feel tense and ashamed as soon as the word Hillsborough is mentioned, the first step to bringing even the slightest bit of decency is to properly apologize for their part in trying to tarnish innocent victims.

I also had never really seen the gruesome footage of the front of the fence and it really was an electric bolt of shock, which led to anger.

Those families, wow, simply have the heart, courage and pride which those who suffered would be proud to have in their corner to pursue the truth.

May those responsible, those who spoke ill of the victims, the liars, the obstructors of justice all rot.
  • Yeah there was some footage I hadn't seen before which seemed to show a pile of mostly motionless bodies laying at the front. I remember standing on that very terrace only a few weeks or so before with Charlton.
  • Thought it was shocking watching events unfold live on TV at the time, but didn't know the half of it then. Truly shocking. Thank god the families have some justice at last.
  • Just watched this, horrendous viewing that I had to watch in stages due to the shocking scenes.. Can't believe it took so long for the truth to come out. Blatant cover up from start to finish. RIP the 96
  • Just watched on iPlayer. The reaction from the survivor after he was asked about what fans were accused of doing to the police when they were trying to save the dying was shocking but necessary. Justice delayed is justice denied and I hope that those responsible are brought to account for the shameful act of constantly trying to wriggle out of taking responsibility after hiding in the shadows for so long.
  • I saw it a while ago around the time of the Hillsborough Independent Panel report. It was on YouTube. It was jointly made by BBC and ESPN but not shown in the UK until now.

It is a harrowing watch.
  • When the MP (I think) made the crass comment to the families along the lines of "it's not like Liverpool fans to turn up late" - what an absolute c**t. No idea how those families showed such constraint at times.
  • Watched half last night and the rest tonight and it was a very hard to watch. I remember watching the disaster unfold live on television and I feel ashamed that at the time, I actually believed what the press were saying about the Liverpool fans.

It is good that the families never gave up hope and I hope that those responsible are brought to justice.
  • That was so hars to watch.
    Have seen the others but that was hard. I wouldnt want to see that footage again
  • Sponsored links:

• When the MP (I think) made the crass comment to the families along the lines of "it's not like Liverpool fans to turn up late" - what an absolute c**t. No idea how those families showed such constraint at times.

Thought exactly the same. How that bloke whose dad died didn't land one on him I'll never know.

• I've just watched this. The footage is harrowing. I've a feeling this is going to be on my mind for a bit tonight - very heavy viewing.

Thought exactly the same. How that bloke whose dad died didn't land one on him I'll never know.

Look at what the Spectator wrote under 'loveable' Boris Johnson's instruction as late as 2004 to see why justice took so long to happen. And that is not a political statement but a personal one as credit should go to the them Tory leader Michael Howard who was so incensed that he made Johnson go to Liverpool to apologise.
  • Watched this on Sunday night and found myself getting really angry. I've never been able to forget the graphic images that were shown, in the newspapers at the time, of people, many of them young, squashed against the metal fence, obviously dead and with their faces clearly visible and bloated.
    Horrible.

The shot from the back of the terrace with the bodies in the corner? Me neither. Awful just awful. Disgrace that the lies were still told despite Lord Justice Taylor's enquiry.

The shot of entering the ground and seeing the large standing sign and how hard it was to see the other pen entrances was interesting.
  • edited June 2017
    David Duckenfield - to be charged with 95 counts of manslaughter. Four others will be prosecuted.
  • edited June 2017
    Duckenfield to be charged with manslaughter of 95 people.

"We are unable to charge the manslaughter of Anthony Bland, the 96th casualty, as he died almost four years later." - from CPS statement
  • I thought the families just wanted the fans cleared of blame didn't realise they were pursuing prison sentances