Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Sat 7th May 1988. Chelsea 1 Charlton 1

Saturday 7th May 1988. Stamford Bridge. Att 34,174

Chelsea 1 (1) (Durie (pen) 16) Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (Miller 65)

Chelsea: Hitchcock, Clarke, Dorigo, Wicks, McLaughlin, Pates, Nevin, Bumstead, Dixon, Durie, C Wilson (West 68). Unused sub: K Wilson.

Charlton: Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Mackenzie, Shirtliff, Miller, Stuart (Mortimer 64), Leaburn, Bennett (Jones 46), Lee, Crooks.

Referee: D Reeves (Uxbridge)

Penalty awarded against Humphrey for a foul on Durie, which was later proved to be outside the area.

Cool it: Leaburn was knocked unconscious during the second half and had to be restrained by colleagues when he came round.

Play-Offs: A vital match for both clubs. Charlton had to avoid defeat to miss the dreaded play-offs for a second successive season whereas Chelsea needed to win. In the event, Charlton got their precious point and Chelsea dropped out of the top divsion when they were defeated by Middlesbrough in the play-off final.

Referee Darryl Reeves said after the match " In 13 years as a match official, and eight years on the line, I have never been involved in a more tension filled match.

Comments

• Very eventful...in more ways than one....
  • Top 5 Charlton away days.

Top 3 intimidating atmospheres.

I think it was dark by the time the OB let us out the ground.
  • oh my god I was 18 and went with my brother that day who knows a few of the livlier elements of charlton's supports let's say and it was very eventful gump.

A right eye opener for me as I'd never seen it up front and with my own eyes.

Trafalgar sq was eventful after as well.
  • An evil game, on and off the pitch. A group of Chelsea fans somehow found their way into the away end and it kicked off half-way through the match. A dodgy penalty, Wicks KOing Carlo and nopt even getting booked (as I recall), Miller equalising from long range with I think a deflected shot. We were held in the ground for ages after the game, and when we were finally let out, and expecting trouble there was nothing, all the Chelsea fans had gone.

Another story has it that Wicks tried winding up Garth Crooks all through the match for being gay, at one point Crooks pointed at something, when Wicks turned to see what Crooks was pointing at, Crooks kissed him.
  • i was 15, everything that could possibly happen did that day, thought all matches were going to be like that after...
    Remember Leeeeeeeeeaburn lossing it and trying to fight the world, if only he had that much fight when he played
  • [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]Very eventful...in more ways than one....

What a day, Chelsea certainly got a shock that day, for many reasons.
  • brilliant day proper stress and what a moody penalty chelsea got as well...
    it was kicking off in our end with chelsea, was there a female involved in it as well, not sure if she was charlton or chelsea...
    and in those days when crowds were pitiful that was a monster crowd and there was a good few thousand charlton there when we averaged about 8k in home fans!! last prem season we couldn't even muster 1k there...pathetic
  • probably only cost about £5 though ooh ahh and not £45
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]it was kicking off in our end with chelsea, was there a female involved in it as well, not sure if she was charlton or chelsea...

Definitely Charlton. I can still recall her and her other half being led away by the OB, passed the Chelsea West Stand Massive.
  • edited May 2008
    Fantastic day standing on the terrace. Jes 20 years ago I was 14 :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Never ever seen Leaburn lose it before - he went absolutely mad once he came round!
    A scary day out with the right result.
    Somehow don't think it will still get discussed on Chelski message boards, do you? Consigned to their long last past.
  • Just remembered - didn't they have a goal disallowed or another penalty appeal right near the end?? Can anyone shed any further light?
  • Weegie no Chelsea where there so they cant talk about it !!Well thats what they would have you believe.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Just remembered - didn't they have a goal disallowed or another penalty appeal right near the end?? Can anyone shed any further light?

They had a really strong penalty claim turned down in the last minute when Colin West (their dwarfish sub) went down under a challenge from Miller but the ref waved play on. It was probably more of a penalty than the one they were given earlier in the game.

As for Wicks-Leaburn, well, we were friendly with Geoff Thomas (big black centre-half) and Paul Murray (blond midfielder) who played in the youth-team with Leaburn and they told us that Wicks basically chinned Leaburn off the ball with a big right-hander when the ball was down the other end.

We all saw Leaburn going mental on the pitch but apparently it was worse afterwards with Leaburn banging on the Chelsea dressing room door wanting to level matters with Wicks who, like the true coward he was, would not come out and front up for a fair fight and hid in the dressing room.

We were right in the middle of the lower part of the terrace when it all kicked off in the first half, it was certainly an experience!!!

Incidentally, check out that Chelsea side, there are THREE future Addicks in there......
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]brilliant day proper stress and what a moody penalty chelsea got as well...
    it was kicking off in our end with chelsea, was there a female involved in it as well, not sure if she was charlton or chelsea...
    and in those days when crowds were pitiful that was a monster crowd and there was a good few thousand charlton there when we averaged about 8k in home fans!! last prem season we couldn't even muster 1k there...pathetic

There was a woman right in the middle of it, know her then old man well.
  • Remember loads of Chelsea celebrating in our end when the penalty went in and the ensuing ruckus. I was 17 and had promised my 15 year old mates mum that I would look after him and that there was no trouble at Charlton games anyway. I remember the girl getting stuck in - she had a skinhead yeah? Also remember thinking why dont the police come in as they seemed to just video it for ages the other side of the fence before taking any action.
  • DA9DA9
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Never ever seen Leaburn lose it before - he went absolutely mad once he came round!
    A scary day out with the right result.
    Somehow don't think it will still get discussed on Chelski message boards, do you? Consigned to their long last past.

When they played West Ham the next season they were taunted by the ICF singing "Chelsea run from Charlton", told that by a close pal who is an appy hammer. If anyone remembers the CS gas attack on some Charlton at White City tube the following season after we were at QPR, that was Chelsea trying to exact revenge, they came unstuck then too.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]brilliant day proper stress and what a moody penalty chelsea got as well...

why do you have to ruin every good thread with your embittered view on away following. what is the matter with you? i highly recommend you get some counselling - for all our sanity.
  • This match also has one of the funniest quotes I think I've heard from a referee.

After the (mistaken) award of Chelseas penalty and as Darryl Reeves was booking Johnny H for the foul....

Johnny H: "When you see the replay, ref, you'll see it was way outside the area"

Ref: "And when you see the replay you'll see yourlself getting booked"

This is one of the only matches I've left early. I took my 7 year old nephew to the game and we had seats in the old west stand. I thought it best to make a quick exit and was just at the bottom of the stair down from the stand as the final whistle blew.

This was also the match that I missed my nieces wedding to go to. My sister didn't speak to me for three years! Well, it's a question of priorities, isn't it?
  • I think John H talked about leaburn scuffle at City Addicks... was this the quote when apparently leaburn was shouting "when i see you down lewisham im going to... "? AFKA will confirm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't they use smelling salts on him?
  • DA9DA9
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: DA_9[/cite]Didn't they use smelling salts on him?

Leaburn at the time, not AFKA or H
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I think John H talked about leaburn scuffle at City Addicks... was this the quote when apparently leaburn was shouting "when i see you down lewisham im going to... "? AFKA will confirm.

Yep, it was 'If i ever see you down Lewisham High St, you're a dead man' which they all found hilarious as the chances of him being dowqn Lewisham High St were nil....
  • Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnnnn, leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnn not much skill but 110% tryer.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnnnn, leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnn not much skill but 110% tryer.
    Similar to Iwelumo in that respect?

Doubt Chris would ever get the cult status Carl did no matter how many games he plays for us.

Shows how times and people's patience have changed as the game has changed.
  • Especially for Ooh Ahh, Chelsea mate who went to the game said it was one of the best Away Turn outs they had that season. I remember we filled the whole away end all standing so well over 5,000 there that day FACT. Probably the most intimidated I had ever felt at a game as well.
  • edited May 2008
    Just dont get the intimidated thing at that game ? been to Chelsea when we never had no where near that following and that could be a bit bum twitching. That day seeing the numbers and who was there i just knew it wouldnt be us that needed to tread carefully.

was our first school reunion after that game, but i just had to have a few beers round Charing X before going. Chelsea never turned up at Villiers street either. i was buzzing when i finally got to the class reunion. Great , great, great day and night ! some of those girls were much better looking as 30yo women !!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnnnn, leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeburnnnnnnnnnn not much skill but 110% tryer.

the first "legend" of mine in my time supporting the club

Unless we were away to Millwall. In which case it was a 100% 'dead leg'
  • Leaburn was around 17/18 when it happened and before he'd "filled out" although he was well over 6ft, the poor lad looked like Bambi on ice as he was getting up, it still took several players to hold him back.