Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Letter received FROM the Football League

So I sent a letter to the Football League, FA and IFO: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/72935/the-fa-the-football-league-and-their-investigations

The League have at least bothered to respond. Underlining my own:

Hello Aaron,

Thanks for your email, we note your comments in relation to this fixture and Charlton Athletic.

As is often the case with key end of season fixtures, The Football League is liaising with the club and the relevant safety authorities with regard to ensuring that the necessary crowd management provisions are in place to enable the effective staging of the Charlton versus Burnley match.

With regards to your wider comments and queries about the ownership and management of Charlton Football Club it is important to clarify what authority The League has to involve itself in the ’running’ of clubs.

Our mandate to govern is enshrined in our regulations which, having been voted through by clubs, provide a clear objective framework under which clubs are required to operate. It therefore follows that what the League cannot do is intervene in club matters in instances where there hasn’t been any breach of regulations based on subjective judgements about the management of individual clubs. Particularly as in a competitive league environment clubs will succeed or fail based on the on and off field decisions they make. As their own private businesses, aside from complying with our regulatory requirements and the ‘laws of the land’, clubs can choose to operate as they see fit.

Where we have evidence that any club has not complied with our regulations we will act. In addition we can only refer you to The League’s Owners and Directors Test (O&DT) conditions, which set out on-going disqualifying conditions for any owner or director that does not adhere to this objective criteria http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/appendix3.aspx.

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

Regards,

Andrew Pomfret
Customer Services Department

....pathetic

Comments

• So I sent a letter to the Football League, FA and IFO: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/72935/the-fa-the-football-league-and-their-investigations

Hello Aaron,

Thanks for your email, we note your comments in relation to this fixture and Charlton Athletic.

As is often the case with key end of season fixtures, The Football League is liaising with the club and the relevant safety authorities with regard to ensuring that the necessary crowd management provisions are in place to enable the effective staging of the Charlton versus Burnley match.

With regards to your wider comments and queries about the ownership and management of Charlton Football Club it is important to clarify what authority The League has to involve itself in the ’running’ of clubs.

Our mandate to govern is enshrined in our regulations which, having been voted through by clubs, provide a clear objective framework under which clubs are required to operate. It therefore follows that what the League cannot do is intervene in club matters in instances where there hasn’t been any breach of regulations based on subjective judgements about the management of individual clubs. Particularly as in a competitive league environment clubs will succeed or fail based on the on and off field decisions they make. As their own private businesses, aside from complying with our regulatory requirements and the ‘laws of the land’, clubs can choose to operate as they see fit.

Where we have evidence that any club has not complied with our regulations we will act. In addition we can only refer you to The League’s Owners and Directors Test (O&DT) conditions, which set out on-going disqualifying conditions for any owner or director that does not adhere to this objective criteria http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/appendix3.aspx.

Regards,

Andrew Pomfret

....pathetic

You are a born optimist sir, if you expected anything more!!
  • So I sent a letter to the Football League, FA and IFO: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/72935/the-fa-the-football-league-and-their-investigations

Hello Aaron,

Regards,

Andrew Pomfret

....pathetic

Don't agree. The Football league represents it's members (football clubs) and the rules, voted in by the clubs, and governing the management of clubs, in this instance, have been clarified. Under those rules they have no right to interfere in what is, after all, a subjective opinion. If I have misread their response, please kindly point out the parts of the
    clubs' rules which they have failed to adhere to.

However, their handling of FFP, has in my opinion, been a failure.

Have a good day.
  • Quite a well worded response really and you can see where the FL are coming from. Imagine if they started helping out every club that was run badly. Where you draw the line is important and not drawing the line at all, as they are doing, is probably the best option for them. The only way they can do anything is if they re-write the fit and proper owners test to accommodate some sort of 'what is your plan' section and as soon as that is not adhered to then the owner fails the test.

I agree with the above though. The biggest failure of the FL is not being able to enforce proper FFP regulations. They've been bullied into loosening the restrictions so much so that there is no longer a point in having FFP in the first place. We got very unlucky in the sense that Roland was gambling on proper FFP restrictions being in place and also in the fact that he's such a brainless idiot that he's failed to see that they don't work even after 2 years in the job.
  • To be honest, I was actually pleased to get a response. More than the FA mustered.

And yes... for me it all boils down to the FFP regulations. Or lack there of