Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your favourite Charlton matchday

This doesn't mean your favourite match or our most important win, but just your favourite day that involved a Charlton match. Give us a story to kick if you have one, I bet there's some corkers to cheer us all up amongst these glum times..

I'm going to say Southend away 2010, great day of boozing followed by a 92nd min away winner, an accumulator win to kick. Nothing special about the match (not that I could see much with my beer goggles) but just a good old fashioned big away turn out and great atmosphere throughout the day as well as at the match.

Go.

Comments

• This doesn't mean your favourite match or our most important win, but just your favourite day that involved a Charlton match. Give us a story to kick if you have one, I bet there's some corkers to cheer us all up amongst these glum times..

I'm going to say Southend away 2010, great day of boozing followed by a 92nd min away winner, an accumulator win to kick. Nothing special about the match (not that I could see much with my beer goggles) but just a good old fashioned big away turn out and great atmosphere throughout the day as well as at the match.

Go.

I stayed over for that game with Glass Half Empty and another mate. We went in a packed kebab shop about 3 in the morning, full of strangers. Someone started humming the tune to the Nicky Bailey song, one or two started to mumble the words and then practically the whole shop broke into the song, all addicks. The guy working there was cracking up.
  • Carlisle 2012. Carnage.
  • It's been done to death on here in the past but the Carlisle away coach in 86 will take some beating for a day out, we also made a weekend of it at Brighton the same season. Another good one was our first game in the PL at Newcastle. Again, we stayed there and drank in the strawberry pub before the game as a mates aunt ran it. Was a bit wary going in after the match but they were as good as gold.
  • And Chesterfield the same season when it was called off after we'd arrived. Great day not spoilt by the 90mins football.
  • Southampton away in L1 a few years ago, we lost but a great days drinking and laughing!
  • the stayen cup
  • Posh few years back 6/7 of us mid week got met up early, good game of football made even better by the famous song for Obika which was made up on the train home (and recorded look on you tube) old Skool drinking session too
  • Cardiff home. When we won 5-4
  • Sponsored links:

• Blackpool 3-5 and Norwich on st George's day spring to mind

Southend 2-1 would be a favourite of mine for obvious reasons

Also had a couple of good weekends in Newcastle/Sunderland in the glory days
  • My favourite is on another thread here, Battle of the Bridge in 1988. I took a couple of friends from Uni along for their first game, so they got to see the chaos first hand as Chelsea fell into the playoffs and we stayed up.

Got seriously hammered afterwards. I seem to remember cleaning out a pub fruit machine in the evening, it was that sort of day!
  • Interesting that loads of these are from our League 1 days.

Mines probably when we beat Sheffield Wednesday in the FA cup two years ago up at Hillsborough. Great win, great atmosphere, Chrissy Powell swinging on the bar, showed all my uni mates how special Charlton were and then went out and got smashed as it was my Birthday. Great day , seems so long ago now.
  • Man Utd away first season in premier league. Lost 4-1 in a midweek game. Few mates and I went up and stayed over night, arrived in Manchester at 10am straight on the beer all the way through and ended up staying another night. Marathon booze up and a great couple of days.
  • League One, Oldham away. Special.
  • Can't remember the date but we beat Carlisle 4-0, it was my first game back after my cardiac arrest and tons of rehab, just sat and watched with my lad and a good friend, couldn't believe I was back at the valley.

Top stuff mate. And a great result to kick.
  • Carlisle 86 on the train
    Man utd cup qf
    Battle of the bridge 88

• jams said:

the stayen cup

It's the Getout Cup this year.
  • Blackpool 3-5 and Norwich on st George's day spring to mind

Southend 2-1 would be a favourite of mine for obvious reasons

Also had a couple of good weekends in Newcastle/Sunderland in the glory days

Norwich in 05(?) is a great shout!!
  • Newcastle away (mid week) having just sold Rob Lee..... sniff. Maybe 350 fans

Southend away, 1992 I think, ended 1-1, had everything bar the win, sunshine, sendings off, missed penalties (Walsh and Morts?) and the poor young girl continually walking in front of the stand carrying food from one kiosk to another ..... you can imagine what was sung to her every time she went past.

About the same time, Middlesborough away (Ayresome Park), The worst ground i've ever been to, snowing and bl00dy cold...... think there was about 10 of us.

First game back at the Valley, enough said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Man Utd away first season in premier league. Lost 4-1 in a midweek game. Few mates and I went up and stayed over night, arrived in Manchester at 10am straight on the beer all the way through and ended up staying another night. Marathon booze up and a great couple of days.

I was less keen on that one, as the coach we were coming back on got stuck in a traffic jam on the M6 at about 1am, and then one of the windows got bricked in East Acton later on. Weirdly enough, I ended up moving to the road it happened on about 6 months later.
  • I remember a game 15 years or so ago, we played Swindon Town, it must have been the season we won Division One to get back to the Prem. Anyway it was a weird game, they got a corner, somehow it flew straight into the back of our net straight from the corner kick. We spent the rest of the game absolutely battering them but couldn't score. Afterwards a load of us went to Camden for drinks, a few of us ended up stripping and diving from a bridge into Camden Lock, then went to the Marquee clubbing straight after, still dripping wet in parts. Weird day, weird night, but bloody fantastic all the same.
  • My favourite match day? Rochdale away 2011 we beat em 3-2. Had a great night after celebrating birthday In Manchester.

I'm mostly a 3points job done man. The night out part is always secondary to the result.

My favourite match day was beating Liverpool at anfield 0-1 Shaun Bartlett. It's the 1st game I thought of via the question.
  • edited May 2016
    A few spring to mind:

Boro away in our first season in the Prem. The game was unremarkable and we lost 0-2 but it was my first Hogans experience-happy hour from 11am during which pints of lager were 95p (they went up to £1.10 at midday), trying to be sold fake gold watches from inside the jackets of punters and having conversations with a bloke in a Rucanor shell suit telling me he was Terry Cooper and he had won an England cap like. A surreal experience but I couldn't wait to get back to Darlington as soon as the next opportunity arose. Sadly it never really lived up to that initial visit.....

Oldham away in League One during the title winning season-20+ of us headed over there in a coach from Manchester on the stag do of a regular poster on here. Charlton scraped a win, Chris Powell celebrated wildly with us and we all got bongoed before and after the game.

Plymouth away in the Championship-a similar tale insofar as it revolves around a stag do but this time back in London after the game following a boozy train journey back straight to a club and then back to a pal's house until the next day. A fantastic time had by all which was helped along by us nicking a 2-1 victory with 10 men and Leroy Lita scoring twice right in front of us.

Hopefully plenty more good days in the future? We shall see...
  • So many. Too many. But nothing - nothing ever- will beat Wembley in 98.
  • Any away game in the 70's
    Bunking on trains,
    getting drunk,
    being chased around northern towns,
    laughing so much your sides hurt.
    Sometimes missing the game completely.
  • Palace away 0-1 Kitson

my mates 40th Birthday and we started early and finished up in the Park Tavern Eltham after the game....v v late