Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SLP: Try explaining this season to your grandchildren

Comments

• I’ll never forget being summoned for a headmaster’s office-style dressing down at Bristol City on Boxing Day after Fraeye didn’t approve of my views on the defeat at Burnley the previous week

Never knew this... How can he moan at the press when the likes of Louis dont work for him!!
  • LouisMend said:

I’ll never forget being summoned for a headmaster’s office-style dressing down at Bristol City on Boxing Day after Fraeye didn’t approve of my views on the defeat at Burnley the previous week

Never knew this... How can he moan at the press when the likes of Louis dont work for him!!

It was just a surefire sign that

A- he was losing the plot and the pressure he was under was getting to him
    B- he was inexperienced and out of his depth. Couldn't deal with criticism from a jobbing part time journo- imagine how he felt when the Nationals cottoned on.
    Shame you didnt sneak a dictaphone in with you... Lost opportunity right there
  • LouisMend said:

I’ll never forget being summoned for a headmaster’s office-style dressing down at Bristol City on Boxing Day after Fraeye didn’t approve of my views on the defeat at Burnley the previous week

B- he was inexperienced and out of his depth. Couldn't deal with criticism from a jobbing part time journo- imagine how he felt when the Nationals cottoned on.
    Didn't someone say he used to go on the internet to see what people were saying about him too? No wonder he was sensitive!!
  • TBH my Father is unable to explain it to my Son today....the list of errors is so so long -- I was thinking this morning that any other season the "Manager" would have got a huge amount of stick but in this case its more like respect to Jose for trying.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

Missed one game this season? weak

Only because I was banned for pitch invading
  • Dear grandchildren, sorry I can't be here to tell you this in person, but I'm dead. Anyway, something bad happened at Charlton before you were born, but eventually it was sorted out and the fans were happy for a bit: we became an established Championship side and went on to have one heady season in the Premiership when we relocated to the Olympic Stadium.
    Be good, grandpa. X

• I must admit to being a bit concerned about this thread....

I'm not really sure that my social skills are up to it. I fear that I would struggle to explain our take of woe to the grandchildren and, to be fair (with chat up lines like mine), even then they may be someone else's.
  • LouisMend said:

Louis with genuine respect

A – KF was certainly under a lot of pressure and it would be surprising if he was not but ‘losing the plot’ is a bit strong. Are you also a jobbing psychiatrist?
    B – Yes he was inexperienced of the media attention and perhaps it would have been wiser to say the usual anodyne stuff that managers/coaches spiel after a game. As far as I can recall most of his comments took the heat off the players and played down the need for reinforcements knowing that there was nothing much that could be done until his first transfer window in January. You are too modest Louis about the jobbing thing and often you ask searching questions that perhaps so called national sports journalists don’t.

It has been obvious for some time that you have a bad opinion of KF’s utterances and performance which is okay as this is a game of opinions. A more accurate and fair assessment of KF’s time, in my opinion, was articulated by Terry Smith on the POYY podcast and on which I hope you might reflect on.
    How much does KF pay you? I can understand a small defence of the man, after all he jumped into the deep end despite spending months previously eyeing up the waters thinking he would be prepared. Your defence of him seems to be a level above, I could spit lines for days about how inept he was tactically, let alone his man management and that's just from the naked eye with his interviews and actions, not from his behind closed doors meetings with players.
    You make a lot of assumptions in your post and imply that you are tactically more adept than KF, take post match musings as important and know what happens behind closed doors..... And why would he not want to manage Charlton if he was given the chance ('eyeing up waters' - WTF).....19 years of coaching with a good reputation in Belgium and some success with Riga perhaps..... Sorry if my defence of KF annoys you so much but I like to give the other side of any argument and I was in any case replying to Louis's post in particular. If I disagree with something I say so and this is a forum of opinion so I presume that this would be okay.......Not for you it seems!
  • Well, once upon a time there was this wicked witch......
  • 'Try reminiscing about footballers wading ankle deep through a sea of stress balls and your senility will be brought into question.'

Ankle deep Louis? Is that what you, in the profession, call poetic licence?

:-)
  • LouisMend said:

A – KF was certainly under a lot of pressure and it would be surprising if he was not but ‘losing the plot’ is a bit strong. Are you also a jobbing psychiatrist?
    B – Yes he was inexperienced of the media attention and perhaps it would have been wiser to say the usual anodyne stuff that managers/coaches spiel after a game. As far as I can recall most of his comments took the heat off the players and played down the need for reinforcements knowing that there was nothing much that could be done until his first transfer window in January. You are too modest Louis about the jobbing thing and often you ask searching questions that perhaps so called national sports journalists don’t.

It has been obvious for some time that you have a bad opinion of KF’s utterances and performance which is okay as this is a game of opinions. A more accurate and fair assessment of KF’s time, in my opinion, was articulated by Terry Smith on the POYY podcast and on which I hope you might reflect on.
    How much does KF pay you? I can understand a small defence of the man, after all he jumped into the deep end despite spending months previously eyeing up the waters thinking he would be prepared. Your defence of him seems to be a level above, I could spit lines for days about how inept he was tactically, let alone his man management and that's just from the naked eye with his interviews and actions, not from his behind closed doors meetings with players.
    You make a lot of assumptions in your post and imply that you are tactically more adept than KF, take post match musings as important and know what happens behind closed doors..... And why would he not want to manage Charlton if he was given the chance ('eyeing up waters' - WTF).....19 years of coaching with a good reputation in Belgium and some success with Riga perhaps..... Sorry if my defence of KF annoys you so much but I like to give the other side of any argument and I was in any case replying to Louis's post in particular. If I disagree with something I say so and this is a forum of opinion so I presume that this would be okay.......Not for you it seems!
    You're perfectly entitled to your opinion and generally give it in a reasonable way (other than seemingly unleashing your arsenal of c-bombs a little randomly last week).

Thing is, the 19 years with a good reputation thing doesn't stack up. Firstly, he was 18 at the beginning of that period and there's no way that at that point he was doing anything meaningful as a coach. It's like counting goals that you scored in the playground in your career tally.

Secondly, 'good reputation' doesn't mean anything, the fact is that this is a man that had never worked meaningfully any higher than the Belgian third division - which we all know is approximately equivalent to park football. I don't say this to dig at him but the ridiculousness of him ever being appointed to manage a second tier club in England.

You can defend the character of the man by all means (I don't know him but he was probably just a guy doing his best in a situation that he was ill equipped to deal with and reacting out of character in the way that stress will induce a person to do - see also Katrien Meire) but his appointment is completely indefensible and performance on the pitch during his tenure showed just why that is so. He can't be personally blamed for all that went on around that period but it is difficult for the fans to disassociate the man from the situation that he sat at the centre of, especially as it seems that he played at least some part in engineering it.
    A considered response Pass It. Obviously we all have to start somewhere and at some age but I get your point. I would however contest that he played some part in engineering our situation. True he was employed by RD from March 2014 so he was aware of how the regime was set up - as we were gradually.... When Guy was clearly struggling he was called in as RD likes to employ his own coaches as we know. As an employee he accepted and tried very hard to improve results but the squad was totally inadequate as we all know and he got no support. When he identified and asked for suitable players to come in January he was sacked.
    Whoever the manager was during this time, he would have failed under these conditions.
    A considered response Pass It. Obviously we all have to start somewhere and at some age but I get your point. I would however contest that he played some part in engineering our situation. True he was employed by RD from March 2014 so he was aware of how the regime was set up - as we were gradually.... When Guy was clearly struggling he was called in as RD likes to employ his own coaches as we know. As an employee he accepted and tried very hard to improve results but the squad was totally inadequate as we all know and he got no support. When he identified and asked for suitable players to come in January he was sacked.
    Whoever the manager was during this time, he would have failed under these conditions.
    I totally agree that 'it is difficult to disassociate the man from the situation' and why some on here get irritated with me for 'defending' KF when actually I am trying to offer some balance to the circumstances surrounding his time here.
  • Sponsored links:

• LouisMend said:

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion and generally give it in a reasonable way (other than seemingly unleashing your arsenal of c-bombs a little randomly last week).

Thing is, the 19 years with a good reputation thing doesn't stack up. Firstly, he was 18 at the beginning of that period and there's no way that at that point he was doing anything meaningful as a coach. It's like counting goals that you scored in the playground in your career tally.

Secondly, 'good reputation' doesn't mean anything, the fact is that this is a man that had never worked meaningfully any higher than the Belgian third division - which we all know is approximately equivalent to park football. I don't say this to dig at him but the ridiculousness of him ever being appointed to manage a second tier club in England.

You can defend the character of the man by all means (I don't know him but he was probably just a guy doing his best in a situation that he was ill equipped to deal with and reacting out of character in the way that stress will induce a person to do - see also Katrien Meire) but his appointment is completely indefensible and performance on the pitch during his tenure showed just why that is so. He can't be personally blamed for all that went on around that period but it is difficult for the fans to disassociate the man from the situation that he sat at the centre of, especially as it seems that he played at least some part in engineering it.
    I totally agree that 'it is difficult to disassociate the man from the situation' and why some on here get irritated with me for 'defending' KF when actually I am trying to offer some balance to the circumstances surrounding his time here.
    I think we probably have different views on his abilities and suitability, however, I do agree that character assassinations of the pawns in Roland's miserable game of chess, especially for those that have now moved on, are pointless and at times even seem a little spiteful.
  • Is someone seriously trying to argue that Fraeye wasn't miles and miles out of his depth and, despite being a lovely bloke with a smashing jumper collection, wildly incompetent for his post ?

I've read it all now, time for a little Charlton Life break I think.
  • se9addick said:

Is someone seriously trying to argue that Fraeye wasn't miles and miles out of his depth and, despite being a lovely bloke with a smashing jumper collection, wildly incompetent for his post ?

19 years experience says you're wrong? ;-)
  • se9addick said:

Is someone seriously trying to argue that Fraeye wasn't miles and miles out of his depth and, despite being a lovely bloke with a smashing jumper collection, wildly incompetent for his post ?

Please don't go! :smile:
  • I think Parky's v necks were better
  • edited May 2016

LouisMend said:

I have paid to watch my professional Football Club, so I want to see it ran competitively - RD perhaps shoved KF into the deep end with the scenario, but KF allowed him to do that and he knew how hard it would be to stay afloat in said deep end. I want to see a man back his players in the media, regardless of whether they are good enough or not, I want to see him being respected by the players - something a coach earns, it's not coincidental. He quite obviously didn't earn the trust or respect of the players and that's his own fault. The coach of my supported football team for a long period was not good enough to be where he was, players have backed this up at the recent POTY. Professional football players saying that a former, and in my eyes still currently, amateur coach was not good enough - the results backing this up, his outing of players in post-match interviews and a general ignorance of the fact he was clueless from himself. I see no reason that you have said, or he has shown me, to have respect for him as a good coach.

Someone who tries to claim all that is good (the scouting of certain players and denying scouting others) etc. then dismiss everything that is bad as nothing to do with him or not his fault (the thrashing to the hands of Watford) is not someone that gains much respect in my books. He's no devil, but he worked for the devil and he was not good enough, he's not going to have any respect from (m)any fan(s).