Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Battle of the Bridge

Which was more box office. Our one in 1988 or the other one on Monday.
I would have said our one as we had a knockout in there; however, Spurs rallied with that humdinger at the end.
Hard to call.

Comments

• I was in the old West Stand for the 1988 game.
    Loved Leaburn's reaction to Steve Wicks!
    Driving home we kept asking any stray Chelsea fans 'What was the score'
    Spurs prima-dona's should be deducted 6 pts.
  • Now, that was a hostile game!
  • I was with the Chelsea fans with my Chelsea supporting brother in law, never ever come across such aggression and that was just the birds
  • Off_it said:

I wonder what the prawn sandwich brigade of today would make of being kept in stood on a terrace after the game for an hour or so whilst the old bill cleared the surrounding areas and still having mobs of them waiting for us when we came out?

It was certainly an eye opener as a young man going to his first away game on his jack!

Shame they didn't hang around for as long as they waited. :wink:
  • Off_it said:

I wonder what the prawn sandwich brigade of today would make of being kept in stood on a terrace after the game for an hour or so whilst the old bill cleared the surrounding areas and still having mobs of them waiting for us when we came out?

It was certainly an eye opener as a young man going to his first away game on his jack!

It was even more hostile a week later as Middlesbrough (I think) relegated Chelsea in the playoffs :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Think it was Sunderland. Stand corrected.
    That for me was charltons best away turn out.
  • markmc68 said:

Think it was Sunderland. Stand corrected.

Definitely Middlesbrough. Boro had a couple of fans plotted upon the roof of the old Holgate end.
  • Off_it said:

Go to eastern europe watching England and you can still find out.
  • Kap10 said:

I was with the Chelsea fans with my Chelsea supporting brother in law, never ever come across such aggression and that was just the birds

Phew... I thought it was just me that got that kind of reaction from the laydeez.
  • For our younger viewers who may not know the significance of this match. This was the last proper game of the season. At at the time the play offs included one team from the top tier.

If Chelsea has won that team would have been Charlton, while we needed just a point to put Chelsea into the play offs. Chelsea as ever were awarded a penalty for a foul outside the area and took the lead only for Charlton to get a "winning" equaliser in the second half. I think scored by Paul Miller.

• Their penalty, Gordon Durie was starting to dive just after the halfway line!!!
  • The REAL Battle of Stamford Bridge .. the last Anglo-Saxon English nation victory .. let's hope whoever plays for us next season is up for a battle, cos for sure, they'll all need to be
  • Remember that very well, great day out proper away game, electric hatred atmosphere, Paul Millar a thug, and a proper drink afterwards in dear old Welling @ the Plough & Harrow- they even had a disco
  • Remember that very well, great day out proper away game, electric hatred atmosphere, Paul Millar a thug, and a proper drink afterwards in dear old Welling @ the Plough & Harrow- they even had a disco

Well, that helps explain why Harald lost to the Normans then. Some of the home team were still out on the piss....
  • Sponsored links:

• The REAL Battle of Stamford Bridge .. the last Anglo-Saxon English nation victory .. let's hope whoever plays for us next season is up for a battle, cos for sure, they'll all need to be

Let's hope they can string two wins together in a week, though...
  • Watched from the giant west(?) stand until I couldn't take any more of the Neanderthals there and relocated to The Shed which was, genuinely, not half as bad.
    For tension, it was the equal of the Leeds play-off at St Andrews and worse than the Wembley play-off.
    A great day to be a Charlton fan.
  • If they had video evidence then, a few people would have picked up hefty bans that day.
  • edited May 2016
    Bob's save from Duries free kick. Thousands of us there and tackles that would result in massive bans today.
  • Yep, PM scored the deflected equalizer, brilliant.
    Spoke to John Humphries a couple of days after the game, he said that he told the referee that when he sees the replay on MOTD the ref will see the tackle/foul was outside the box.
    The ref said, maybe, maybe not, but that he (JH) would definitely see himself getting booked.

Ironically the game was never shown on any channel. ITV wanted to show it in a highlights programme the following day but Ken Bates refused for some stupid reason. ITV showed Palace instead.

Chelsea released a video of the game later
  • https://vimeo.com/groups/charltonlife/videos/5271029

This is a much longer video, the one Chelsea released
  • I'd forgotten that it was Leaburn who took the long throw, it seems odd to have a giant striker not in the box, but it was a great throw!
  • https://vimeo.com/groups/charltonlife/videos/5271029

This is a much longer video, the one Chelsea released

That's excellent viewing. Bob's save even better than I remember. Millers clothesline at the end very very naughty.
    Long time since we had an away end like that all with something to jump around for. Anyone know how many of us went?
  • markmc68 said:

Think it was Sunderland. Stand corrected.

Definitely Middlesbrough. Boro had a couple of fans plotted upon the roof of the old Holgate end.
    It was definitely Middlesborough - remember the Chelsea fans invading the pitch, trying to get at the Boro fans behind the goal, where we had stood the week previous.

Also remember the following season, Chelsea absolutely walking away with the old Second Division, with a very tasty side, that included some of our future old boys in Colin Pates, Joey McLaughlin and Johnnie Bumstead.