Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnnie Jackson in SLP

Johnnie Jackson is ready to supply his own input into Charlton’s summer rebuilding job.
The Addicks club captain was the first to commit his future after relegation to League One was confirmed in last month’s defeat at Bolton.
And Jackson hopes to play a part in Charlton’s plans for the close season. He was the influential skipper when the South London club won promotion to the Championship.
There is still doubt surrounding the future of head coach Jose Riga. The Belgian boss has already stated that he would need assurances to continue - and that is before owner Roland Duchatelet has his own say on the matter.
But Jackson knows what needs to be built in a playing squad to have success in English football’s third tier.
He told Louis Mendez on Charlton Live’s Player of the Season podcast:”We need a solid base going forward. I’m going to do all I can do in advising the club over new players that come in and go out when the new squad is built over the close season and the season.
“I’ve got an important role to play, whether I’m on the pitch or not. I think I’m an important cog between the club and the fans, especially at this difficult time.
“I think the fans know that I’ve got the club at heart and I want the best for the club. I’ll try and be a go-between as best as I can.
“Ademola [Lookman] and Jordan [Cousins] picked up awards and if we can hang onto these players and build around them it can have the makings of an exciting season.
“Hopefully we might have reached rock bottom and from here on the only way is up. That’s what I’m hoping for.”

Comments

• Didn't we draw with bolton?
  • Southbank said:

Hopefully we might have reached rock bottom and from here on the only way is up. That’s what I’m hoping for.”

To be honest I dont think we've hit rock bottom as we've been in League One before.

For me rock bottom would be dropping into League Two and the Fifth tier for the first ever time
  • Southbank said:

Hopefully we might have reached rock bottom and from here on the only way is up. That’s what I’m hoping for.”

To be honest I dont think we've hit rock bottom as we've been in League One before.

For me rock bottom would be dropping into League Two and the Fifth tier for the first ever time
    Doesn't he mean that this is as far as we go and no lower.

• "I'll try and be a go-between as best I can"

Mmmmmm, okay JJ, when was the last time our owners listened to anyone other than their ego's?
  • Uboat said:

Yes we did.

Katrien is going to mess with us all by making JJ head coach. I just know it.

I'm starting to think this too...it would actually be quite a good decision, the first in years from this regime
  • Uboat said:

Yes we did.

I'm starting to think this too...it would actually be quite a good decision, the first in years from this regime
    I hope you are right but if they give him dross players to manage (coach) then it could end up looking like a terrible decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Uboat said:

Yes we did.

I wouldn't put it past that s**t to boot Jacko and Sols out the club.
  • I wonder if Jacko will now become a regime puppet like Riga is according to some on here, for helping and advising Katrien and Roland?
  • Jacko would not make a good coach under current circumstances. He would need a quality backing team, a lot of experience and a calm head he wouldn't be able to keep. Also he's not opening his eyes wide enough if he thinks RD won't cash in on Lookman and Cousins, bless him.
  • Missed It said:

I find the whole prospect of Jackson having a far greater input into team recruitment next season deeply depressing. This is no reflection on Jackson himself, who is a top bloke and understands what Charlton is about.

He is only in this position because the club have STILL failed to employ a chief scout, will most likely be employing a new head coach and have demonstrated no discernible strategy for building a team. The fact that they are asking Jackson is nothing more than an indication of the total failure to run the playing side of the club properly.

By some accounts, it appears that Meire has asked for Jackson's opinion on these sorts of things in the past, then either ignored or failed to act on the advice anyway.

Someone else on here also said that Jacko had had next to no contact with Meire and none with RD.
  • I’m going to do all I can do in advising the club over new players that come in and go out when the new squad is built over the close season and the season.
    By the sound of things, Jacko is applying to be the new Head of Scouting!
  • Missed It said:

I find the whole prospect of Jackson having a far greater input into team recruitment next season deeply depressing. This is no reflection on Jackson himself, who is a top bloke and understands what Charlton is about.

He is only in this position because the club have STILL failed to employ a chief scout, will most likely be employing a new head coach and have demonstrated no discernible strategy for building a team. The fact that they are asking Jackson is nothing more than an indication of the total failure to run the playing side of the club properly.

By some accounts, it appears that Meire has asked for Jackson's opinion on these sorts of things in the past, then either ignored or failed to act on the advice anyway.

Spot on here. They appear to be happy to drag anyone down around them. Of course JJ will be happy to play a role in the rebuilding of the squad over the summer, but beware who he is building it for.....If he takes any kind of prominent role on for the club in the management structure, then he's likely to be left high and dry when things get shit (sorry, to continue to be shit).

This whole thing is becoming a joke now. There's obviously no strategy in place, no idea about how and what to do next, and I imagine the whole of the footballing fraternity who we need to turn things round, wouldn't touch us with a barge pole. They're now between a rock and a hard place. The only thing they have on their side is time. As we slip into June, July, that will dissipate, and the stark reality of how clueless they really are will become all too obvious (if it isn't already).
  • The Puppet is "moved on" to Rds cult castle.

Paul Elliot is the new CEO

An "investor" is found

Jackson is "player Manager"

Lenny is the director of football

herd it here first !! a Raven told me when i was walking on the White Cliffs Sunday
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think Jackson staying here is going to do his career (or legacy) any favours at all. Unless he's happy with a paycheck for being another Duchatelet puppet.
  • cabbles said:

Missed It said:

Spot on here. They appear to be happy to drag anyone down around them. Of course JJ will be happy to play a role in the rebuilding of the squad over the summer, but beware who he is building it for.....If he takes any kind of prominent role on for the club in the management structure, then he's likely to be left high and dry when things get shit (sorry, to continue to be shit).

This whole thing is becoming a joke now. There's obviously no strategy in place, no idea about how and what to do next, and I imagine the whole of the footballing fraternity who we need to turn things round, wouldn't touch us with a barge pole. They're now between a rock and a hard place. The only thing they have on their side is time. As we slip into June, July, that will dissipate, and the stark reality of how clueless they really are will become all too obvious (if it isn't already).
    They don't even have time on their side. All their scouting for recruitment next season should already have been done and the list of targets drawn up. With no chief scout, has any of that been done?

With most likely another management change, who sets the requirements for scouting the players for their preferred system?

As they weren't countenancing relegation to League One any scouting, such as it is, would have been for Championship players. They have to draw up a list of targets (there will need to be a lot of them!) to construct a new team for a new league that they haven't scouted either.

I fear next season is going to be an even bigger disaster than this season.

• edited May 2016
    FFS!! Just get an arseole in like Warnock and half a dozen British players who can bite their way through 4×2 sawn timber after drinking 15 pints of strong cider whilst kicking the shit out of 15 asylum seekers who have fallen out of a lorry onto the M20...

It's that fucking easy Latrien!!!!!
  • Swisdom said:

Southbank said:

Johnnie Jackson is ready to supply his own input into Charlton’s summer rebuilding job.
    The Addicks club captain was the first to commit his future after relegation to League One was confirmed in last month’s defeat at Bolton.
    And Jackson hopes to play a part in Charlton’s plans for the close season. He was the influential skipper when the South London club won promotion to the Championship.
    There is still doubt surrounding the future of head coach Jose Riga. The Belgian boss has already stated that he would need assurances to continue - and that is before owner Roland Duchatelet has his own say on the matter.
    But Jackson knows what needs to be built in a playing squad to have success in English football’s third tier.
    He told Louis Mendez on Charlton Live’s Player of the Season podcast:”We need a solid base going forward. I’m going to do all I can do in advising the club over new players that come in and go out when the new squad is built over the close season and the season.
    “I’ve got an important role to play, whether I’m on the pitch or not. I think I’m an important cog between the club and the fans, especially at this difficult time.
    “I think the fans know that I’ve got the club at heart and I want the best for the club. I’ll try and be a go-between as best as I can.
    “Ademola [Lookman] and Jordan [Cousins] picked up awards and if we can hang onto these players and build around them it can have the makings of an exciting season.
    “Hopefully we might have reached rock bottom and from here on the only way is up. That’s what I’m hoping for.”

Spoken like a true club captain. It might not be his job to advise the board but he's going to have his say.

When I spoke to Mel Baroni I explained the importance of Jacko and Solly to the fans. And euell. She said she was aware of the respect they rightly have. As long as they stick around there is hope.

I've asked Ademola what he plans were for next season he said "I just want to play football every week". I don't think its a foregone conclusion he will depart.
    My friend and i bumped into Jordan Cousins a few weeks ago and asked him if he'll be here next year - he said "We'll see" and stomped off. I'd be surprised if he's here next year but then it might just have been he was in a fould mood after a defeat.
    I've also heard first hand Jacko saying he will definitely be here next season.

So thats Jacko, Solly, Pope ,Harriott and Lennon I suspect are certs to stay. Sarr probably on peanuts so we'll keep him (game time would be ideal for him)
    Fox on the move is likely to be paper talk and he'll stick around.

All the loanees are going away. JBG is on a ridiculous wage so he's on his toes. Tex likely to be off too (shame - hes like an Aldi Jorge Costa imo), Igor is well documented,Reza is and has always been pants so he can go.

We'll need a good, older wiser head for backup goalkeeper to Popey.
    A couple of clogging central defenders to work with Lennon and Sarr
    Love to keep hold of Kashi - I'd say he owes us a season for nursing him through his injury.
    And a couple of journeymen strikers who know where the goal is. 1 of whom needs to be a wrecking ball. Someone like Yann dare I say it.
    Maybe Lookman.

If we spend a couple of million on the best players in the L1 and L2 then no reason we can't replicate the season of 4 years ago provided the right head coach is in place. Chris Wilder could be a good fit for that role.

Look at the work that was done from February onwards in 2011 to build the team that won promotion and then ask yourself who in 2016 is going to identify these players, who is going to persuade them to come and who is going to negotiate the deals. Then look at the club's recruitment record to date under this regime. If it was as easy as you imply to do it from a standing start in May then Sheffield United wouldn't be set for a sixth consecutive season in League One.
    Not for long, they are going to come good!
  • Swisdom said:

Southbank said:

Spoken like a true club captain. It might not be his job to advise the board but he's going to have his say.

When I spoke to Mel Baroni I explained the importance of Jacko and Solly to the fans. And euell. She said she was aware of the respect they rightly have. As long as they stick around there is hope.

I've asked Ademola what he plans were for next season he said "I just want to play football every week". I don't think its a foregone conclusion he will depart.
    My friend and i bumped into Jordan Cousins a few weeks ago and asked him if he'll be here next year - he said "We'll see" and stomped off. I'd be surprised if he's here next year but then it might just have been he was in a fould mood after a defeat.

So thats Jacko, Solly, Pope ,Harriott and Lennon I suspect are certs to stay. Sarr probably on peanuts so we'll keep him (game time would be ideal for him)

All the loanees are going away. JBG is on a ridiculous wage so he's on his toes. Tex likely to be off too (shame - hes like an Aldi Jorge Costa imo), Igor is well documented,Reza is and has always been pants so he can go.

Love to keep hold of Kashi - I'd say he owes us a season for nursing him through his injury.
    And a couple of journeymen strikers who know where the goal is. 1 of whom needs to be a wrecking ball. Someone like Yann dare I say it.
    Maybe Lookman.

If we spend a couple of million on the best players in the L1 and L2 then no reason we can't replicate the season of 4 years ago provided the right head coach is in place. Chris Wilder could be a good fit for that role.

Look at the work that was done from February onwards in 2011 to build the team that won promotion and then ask yourself who in 2016 is going to identify these players, who is going to persuade them to come and who is going to negotiate the deals. Then look at the club's recruitment record to date under this regime. If it was as easy as you imply to do it from a standing start in May then Sheffield United wouldn't be set for a sixth consecutive season in League One.
    To be fair, not every team has been as useless as Sheffield United, whose inability to put together a decent team and get promoted is baffling. If the likes of Burton (or Walsall), MKD, Preston, Rotherham, Doncaster and Yeovil can all get promoted during that period, what are they doing wrong?
  • Swisdom said:

Southbank said:

Maybe Lookman.

To be fair, not every team has been as useless as Sheffield United, whose inability to put together a decent team and get promoted is baffling. If the likes of Burton (or Walsall), MKD, Preston, Rotherham, Doncaster and Yeovil can all get promoted during that period, what are they doing wrong?
    It's that over expectation thing that KM has warned us about
  • Swisdom said:

Southbank said:

Maybe Lookman.

It is not easy when you have the biggest club in world football as your local rival.
    Indeed. They must be like some tiny exoplanet orbiting a huge blue giant of a star which is constantly blowing away its vital resources with a huge solar wind (i use OP as the wind in this analogy...).

• edited May 2016
    I think he is trying to point them in the direction needed- probably because like us, he doesn't trust they will make the right calls! Good luck to him I say!

If we are going to have a great season, Duchatelet will have to appoint a manager who knows the league and leat him get on with it, with full support and no interference. Having JJ as part of the management team in a minor capacity wouldn't be a bad call!

We wont be having a great season, and the first step will be the announcement of our new manager!
  • I think he is trying to point them in the direction needed- probably because like us, he doesn't trust they will make the right calls! Good luck to him I say!

If we are going to have a great season, Duchatelet will have to appoint a manager who knows the league and leat him get on with it, with full support and no interference. Having JJ as part of the management team in a minor capacity wouldn't be a bad call!

We wont be having a great season, and the first step will be the announcement of our new manager!

Will it ? Riga will leave because of issues with autonomy. I'm not convinced RD sees head coach as an important appointment. Little say in who is signed. I think it might take a while to appoint a British manager willing to work under those constraints. More nieve thinking by this clueless regime.