Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Merton's Secret Stations.

I just thought one or two on here might have watched this. Quite interesting little programe, if you put the trains to one side, of course.
152 request stops on the railways, who'd have thought that?

Comments

• A real Charlton thread.
  • IT was very entertaining.
  • I was a little disappointed to be honest.
    Too much Paul Merton trying to be funny and not enough trains for me.
    Happy to give it another go next week though.
  • The book by Dixe Wills (on the same topic) is much better.
  • I was a little disappointed to be honest.
    Too much Paul Merton trying to be funny and not enough trains for me.
    Happy to give it another go next week though.

Yes have to agree there.
  • Fantastic. You can't have enough programs about trains IMHO!
  • not a programme I'd choo-choose to watch.
  • Fantastic. You can't have enough programs about trains IMHO!

What do you reckon the chances are of Merton bumping into Portillo on a platform somewhere, and Tarrant being on the train they get on.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2016

Fantastic. You can't have enough programs about trains IMHO!

What do you reckon the chances are of Merton bumping into Portillo on a platform somewhere, and Tarrant being on the train they get on.
    That would make one hell of a program MAM and if Pete Waterman brought along his model railway engines... I mean just wow!

(Apologies to any lost Spanners or Nigels who have just spontaniously combusted reading this thread...)
  • I first read this as Paul Merson's Secret Stations. Wondered how the hell everyone's favourite ex Arsenal Commentary Buffoon got a gig doing a documentary on the railways.
  • A little tale about Drigg station.
    I've used it 5 or 6 times when visiting the lake district.
    Well, one night i decided to stay in the Victoria Hotel which backs onto the station. When i spoke to the guv and his wife he went visibly pale, he asked where i was from and why i was there.
    Turned out they were from Woolwich and owed someone a lot of money. They thought they'd disappeared. Friends in the area told me they moved out soon after.

Did you have your missus with you? :-)
    Well, one night i decided to stay in the Victoria Hotel which backs onto the station. When i spoke to the guv and his wife he went visibly pale, he asked where i was from and why i was there.
    Turned out they were from Woolwich and owed someone a lot of money. They thought they'd disappeared. Friends in the area told me they moved out soon after.

Did you have your missus with you? :-)
    'course not. On my own.

you could use that as a plot for a TV series .. 'Line of Duty Goes to Drigg .. and Back'
  • Loved the couple from Peckham! Nelson Mandela House do you think? She did all the talking and the husband never said a word. Now that bit is true to life. Actually I did enjoy the programme. I don't mind the occasional comedy as I like Paul Merton, but think the fell walking bit needed serious editing as the running (excuse the pun) joke got a bit tedious.
  • Albany Park that's a bloody secret !
  • Bastards! BBC 4 goes head to head with More 4 at 9pm tonight.

Pete Waterman's The Joy of Train Sets v Paul Merton's Secret Stations.

Decisions, decisions.

Best kept that way, allegedly.
  • The More 4 is a repeat of the first program.
  • Sponsored links:

• The More 4 is a repeat of the first program.

Yes, I just noticed that, thanks. A chance to get the numbers I didn't get first time :-)

Best kept that way, allegedly.
    Interesting point. I was brought up In Charlton and know the whole area well. Albany Park must be the nearest station to Charlton that I couldn't find without a map or satnav.