Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

No Burnley trophy presentation at The Valley regardless

This has been knocking around for a while, but it will probably come out of the FF tonight anyway.

Charlton have agreed with the FL that if Burnley win the Championship on the last day of the season, they will not receive the trophy on the pitch. The feeling inside the club was that it was not appropriate for our fans to be invited to watch the presentation having been relegated, especially as it would be the second year running it has been won at The Valley.

The only other option would be for Burnley to wait until the Charlton fans have all left the stadium.

This was not a regime decision as such. It came from the matchday security team, so it was well-intended, whatever people make of it. Obviously, it might become academic, but I thought it would be good to get the true story out there before it gets mangled.

Comments

• Another total misunderstanding of the fans. Why would any addick get upset by Burnley's success?! The owner is the enemy not them.
  • Yes, sensible - I'm sure Burnley won't want their moment ruined in a warzone!
  • It doesn't bother me either - I don't think the decision is really about bothering us - it just has risk attached to it when a club like us is actively protesting.
  • looking forward to showing my appreciation to rhys williams, naby sarr and roger johnson
  • Sponsored links:

• This has been knocking around for a while, but it will probably come out of the FF tonight anyway.

Charlton have agreed with the FL that if Burnley win the Championship on the last day of the season, they will not receive the trophy on the pitch. The feeling inside the club was that it was not appropriate for our fans to be invited to watch the presentation having been relegated, especially as it would be the second year running it has been won at The Valley. as they will be busy burning the sofa.

The only other option would be for Burnley to wait until the Charlton fans have all left the stadium.

This was not a regime decision as such. It came from the matchday security team, so it was well-intended, whatever people make of it. Obviously, it might become academic, but I thought it would be good to get the true story out there before it gets mangled.

• kentred2 said:

Will we still be treated to an end of season lap of 'honour' by the Players/Staff? I'm hoping so...

Yes they could bring back all the managers and coaches for the day
    It would take until Tuesday for all ex-staff to do a lap of honour.
  • This is so wrong. There are always winners and losers in life, I'm used to it and man enough to take it.
    It could be that 2 years on the bounce that a team has won a title on our ground.
    This is fate, its trying to show the incompetent fools what they could of had.
  • Silly decision
  • Would Burnley want the presentation at The Valley anyway? Surely they'd prefer it back in Burnley the next day, in front of all their fans?

Imagine if we'd won the title on the last day at Blackburn or Huddersfield, would we want the trophy presented up there?
  • edited April 2016

Would Burnley want the presentation at The Valley anyway? Surely they'd prefer it back in Burnley the next day, in front of all their fans?

Imagine if we'd won the title on the last day at Blackburn or Huddersfield, would we want the trophy presented up there?

We did win the league at Blackburn once - it wasn't presented then - saved it for the following home match, which we promptly lost.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would Burnley want the presentation at The Valley anyway? Surely they'd prefer it back in Burnley the next day, in front of all their fans?

We did win the league at Blackburn once - it wasn't presented then - saved it for the following home match, which we promptly lost.
    Wasn't the last game, though.
  • The Bournemouth fans in the upper West will be pissed off :smile:

The Burnley Fans in the upper West will also be pissed off.
    Plus the Burnley fans in the Lower West
    Not forgetting the Northern Lads in T'East.

A day trip to the Valley will be champion for Claret and sky Blue army.
  • edited April 2016
    Have we ever won something on the last day of the season (excluding playoff finals)? Our last title title win before 2000 was the Football League Third Division South in 1935!

Depends... Leagues will usually either present the trophy away from home if it goes to the last game of the season or it'll be lifted by the Champions on their last home game of the season

i.e. With us we lifted the Division One title @ home to Ipswich in 2000 and against Hartlepool in 2012 because of the latter.

Leicester will lift the trophy @ home to Everton this season if they win the Premier League by then whilst Bournemouth only lifted the trophy at the Valley last season because it was still undecided
  • Bonkers decision and yet again shows how the fans are irreverent to football and the FL is so out of touch with the real fans.
  • I'm very disappointed by this. I think it has more to do with the protests than being sensitive to our relegation.

On the basis that many football fans will never witness the League Title being awarded I would have thought that it was a nice thing to see it done at The Valley. Obviously this would not apply if it were a local rival but I, personally, was looking forward to the possibility of seeing the Football League Trophy at The Valley again.

It is a nonsense having it presented away from a football stadium and/or being presented after the season has finished. In this case they might as well not bother. just do it behind closed doors and put it on YouTube.

Terrible, terrible decision!
  • I'm very disappointed by this. I think it has more to do with the protests than being sensitive to our relegation.

On the basis that many football fans will never witness the League Title being awarded I would have thought that it was a nice thing to see it done at The Valley. Obviously this would not apply if it were a local rival but I, personally, was looking forward to the possibility of seeing the Football League Trophy at The Valley again.

It is a nonsense having it presented away from a football stadium and/or being presented after the season has finished. In this case they might as well not bother. just do it behind closed doors and put it on YouTube.

Terrible, terrible decision!

We saw it a year ago!

An awful lot more Burnley fans would see the presentation if they did it the next day back at their ground
  • I doubt any of the Burnley fans would be more peed off than we will be at that game if they win the league.
  • By this decision the Football league know there's something going seriously wrong but choose to ignore. Is it that they just can't do anything or they just don't want to?