Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car advice - reconditioned turbo?

Hi, am getting my other car fixed up, the turbo went on it about 6 months ago, finally got the money to get it sorted but can only afford a reconditioned turbo from eurocarparts.

Has anyone had any experiences with recon turbos good or bad? Dont know if i can stretch the extra 400 or so quid at the moment.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Reconditioned can be better than original, should come with a warranty though.
  • What car/what turbo?
  • A seat leon stylance 2.0 think its a garret turbo
  • Rob7Lee said:

What car/what turbo?

Sorry forgot to quote, see above =) cheers
  • Hi kidbrooke,I had one fail on a Octavia 2 ltr tdi and spoke to the guy at my garage about a recon unit but he said keep well away from your eBay stuff. the main price is the Labour.. I ended up paying 1200 all in but then ripped up das autobhann the following day.
  • Hi kidbrooke,I had one fail on a Octavia 2 ltr tdi and spoke to the guy at my garage about a recon unit but he said keep well away from your eBay stuff. the main price is the Labour.. I ended up paying 1200 all in but then ripped up das autobhann the following day.

At all of 120mph

Yeah i wouldnt go for ebay. Looked on eurocarparts and they come with a 1 year warranty.
  • Snob :) I can do 85 at 65 mpg I'll have you know....... Speedo said 135.....Sat nav said 115 :(
  • It's a car!! A-B, that's it! Turbo smurbo!!
  • Forget the turbo. Stick some of these down the sides and you can recover all the lost power plus some for a fraction of the cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Truck-Car-Side-Graphics-Tribal-Flames-Fire-Vinyl-Decal-Sticker-Auto-Trailer-/171867937482
  • Sponsored links:

• Forget the turbo. Stick some of these down the sides and you can recover all the lost power plus some for a fraction of the cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Truck-Car-Side-Graphics-Tribal-Flames-Fire-Vinyl-Decal-Sticker-Auto-Trailer-/171867937482

Placed my order, can't wait to be gunning up the A17 with these bad boys on ...ta exiled
  • If i didnt need the turbo trust me id leave it but the car wont move without it =(
  • If you've got a warranty with it then it should be fine ......does it cover labour if it fails in the year??
  • Ah those were the days, I remember doing 120mph on the autobahn in an old golf GTI, the windows nearly fell out and the brakes were not good enough for the speed but it felt good.

110mph in a Citroen ax was the most scary especially as it was after an all nighter and I had to have the window down otherwise I kept drifting into the central reservation.

Won't go much above a ton these days. And I drive an automatic. I'm like my grandad used to be (without driving pissed out of my mind all the time)

Never had nitro on one of my motors. I may add that to the currently bucket list. Feeling morbid.
  • Ah those were the days, I remember doing 120mph on the autobahn in an old golf GTI, the windows nearly fell out and the brakes were not good enough for the speed but it felt good.

110mph in a Citroen ax was the most scary especially as it was after an all nighter and I had to have the window down otherwise I kept drifting into the central reservation.

Won't go much above a ton these days. And I drive an automatic. I'm like my grandad used to be (without driving pissed out of my mind all the time)

Never had nitro on one of my motors. I may add that to the currently bucket list. Feeling morbid.

The Germans are far better at lane discipline than we are but you still get the odd Muppet pulling out and doing 90 that pisses on ya fire. Was on a bike doing 140 and a lorry pulled out way in the distance ,was up behind him in seconds
  • Every time I've driven on das autobahn I'm in absolute awe of ze Germans lane discipline.

And to the original poster be wary of dropping a new or reconditioned turbo in an older car. That bit will be shiny good but the engine and parts around it won't be so tuned. Would be akin to pumping an 80 year old with some ballistic anabolic steroid
  • If the old turbo dumped oil in any of the pipes, make sure they're all thoroughly cleaned out. Actually, do that anyway and do an oil change as well. Recon turbo from Euro should be fine.

• Carter said:

Every time I've driven on das autobahn I'm in absolute awe of ze Germans lane discipline.

And to the original poster be wary of dropping a new or reconditioned turbo in an older car. That bit will be shiny good but the engine and parts around it won't be so tuned. Would be akin to pumping an 80 year old with some ballistic anabolic steroid

That is a very funny comparison