Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Evans Conviction overturned (ed. signs for Chesterfield)

Who will he sign for?

Comments

• The way things are going, Charlton will sign him!
  • Footballer Ched Evans has won his appeal against a conviction for rape, but will face a new trial.

The ex-Wales international was jailed in 2012 for raping a 19-year-old at a hotel near Rhyl, Denbighshire.

The former Sheffield United, Manchester City and Norwich player was released from jail in 2014 after serving half of his five-year term.

He has not been signed by a new club since his release from prison.
  • Money talks.

Evil family.
  • I give this 30 minutes

One of those threads that you don't want to comment on at the time but always thought this would get overturned

Hope we don't sign him though
  • So does he now have the presumption of innocence until the new trial is concluded ?
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

So does he now have the presumption of innocence until the new trial is concluded ?

Yes
  • edited April 2016
    se9addick said:

So does he now have the presumption of innocence until the new trial is concluded ?

As far as I am aware yes.

North Wales Police could end up looking very bad over all of this if he is not found guilty the second time round. Regardless of your opinion or views on the facts and events as currently in the public domain, their handling of the case has raised serious questions. Now this farce is going to carry on for even longer.
  • Chizz said:

se9addick said:

Yes
    I suspect that's a reference to some comments on the original thread where it was claimed that he is a rapist even if his conviction was overturned.

• se9addick said:

In the eyes of the law/court, yes - however I think the general public is entitled to presume whatever they like!
  • se9addick said:

In the eyes of the law/court, yes - however I think the general public is entitled to presume whatever they like!
    No. Not *all* the general public. Some (about a dozen) will have to be found with entirely open minds about the issue. Otherwise, a conviction will never be secured.
  • If he is cleared could he sue United for ripping up his contract and could he sue the police for additional loss of earnings if they've cocked up the investigation?
  • Chizz said:

se9addick said:

No. Not *all* the general public. Some (about a dozen) will have to be found with entirely open minds about the issue. Otherwise, a conviction will never be secured.
    Surprising as it can sometimes feel in our football bubble, I'm sure a significant percentage of the population has never heard of Ched Evans (or Adam Johnson for that matter).
  • If he is cleared could he sue United for ripping up his contract and could he sue the police for additional loss of earnings if they've cocked up the investigation?

I doubt he could sue United, it's difficult (but not impossible) to sue the police - people who have been wrongly imprisoned who have successfully sued have had "room and board" deducted from damages awarded, seriously!
  • se9addick said:

No.
  • Sponsored links:

• Could be cheap and fits the new strategy of signing British players, probably being added to Katrien's shortlist as we speak.
  • Missed It said:

The way things are going, Charlton will sign him!

Why is he Belgian?
  • Cab driving Charlton friend just posted he's got him in the back of his cab
  • Spare a few thoughts for the victim in all this - will have to go through the trial all over again.

IF after the new trial Evans is found innocent, then surely he's just as much a victim, his professional career ruined.

Incidentally, Sheff Utd were set for automatic promotion as the trial started. 4 years later, they're STILL stuck in L1
    I don't think anyone who behaves the way he did that night can be seen as a victim of anything (except lack of morals or stupidity).

The club, no, as there is case history that an employer can sack someone who is arrested. The filth, probably, depends on what actually happened.