Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

W Ham v Man U

I see they are playing their FA Cup replay tonite - but there is also Champions league matches on as well. I though the 2 couldn't be played on the same week, or so we were told the other year when we played Sheff U ......or is it different rules for Man U ???

Comments

• Its also a joke the fact that the Round of 16 is split over four weeks.

With the talk of amending the Champions League to two groups of eight teams, it makes you wonder where those fourteen matches will be squeezed into, especially as Cup games arent allowed to clash etc.
  • How they have the cheek to call it the Champions League still amazes me! Still BT Sport rate it.
  • I know this thread isnt about the Champions League yet have just seen that Manchester City are to be investigated by UEFA after setting off fireworks after their win last night, I mean to say... FIREWORKS... What were they thinking of, enjoying themselves like that!!
  • Palarse are at home tonight in the P.L.
  • How they have the cheek to call it the Champions League still amazes me! Still BT Sport rate it.

They have to... They paid well over the odds for the coverage to get it from Sky.
  • I know this thread isnt about the Champions League yet have just seen that Manchester City are to be investigated by UEFA after setting off fireworks after their win last night, I mean to say... FIREWORKS... What were they thinking of, enjoying themselves like that!!

they set them off in PSG's dressing room.
  • I shamefully have a corporate invite tonight. Free beer is my only interest.
  • MrLargo said:

Same as the Hull against Arsenal replay in round 4. Kicking off at 7pm (rather than 7.45) as a compromise to reduce the amount of overlap between the FA Cup game and the glorious, all important Champons League fixtures. Apparently the FA are still in line for a fine of some sort, as the early kick off still leaves them in breach of UEFA regulations.

Welcome to modern football. This is why they're talking about scrapping FA Cup replays. Strangely, no one seems to have noticed that the root of the problem is the vast amount of non-event Champions League Group games in the first half of the season.

Only reason I'd get BT is for the Champs league. But they tie Sky customers into 12 month contracts, and I'm only interested in three months of that. So no dice.

Funny how BT came along to make the landscape more competitive, yet made football twice as expensive to watch in the process.

They have to... They paid well over the odds for the coverage to get it from Sky.
    I suspect Sky won't let that happen again. They were taken by surprise, but span the story as "we felt it was worth X, if BT think it's worth paying a penny more than that then they are wasting their money".

We'll see...
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

How they have the cheek to call it the Champions League still amazes me! Still BT Sport rate it.

I suspect Sky won't let that happen again. They were taken by surprise, but span the story as "we felt it was worth X, if BT think it's worth paying a penny more than that then they are wasting their money".

We'll see...
    Isn't it shown concurrently on ITV or something? I thought all European matches had to be available on, what would you call it, non-satellite or non-paid TV? Or am I outdated with this?
  • SDAddick said:

JiMMy 85 said:

How they have the cheek to call it the Champions League still amazes me! Still BT Sport rate it.

We'll see...
    Isn't it shown concurrently on ITV or something? I thought all European matches had to be available on, what would you call it, non-satellite or non-paid TV? Or am I outdated with this?
    Up until last year Sky and ITV shared rights with ITV showing one game per week with the Final being aired live on both channels, but now BT Sport have exclusive rights to every live match including the final and ITV just have highlights. The only Football that has to be shown free to air in this country is The FA Cup Final, Euro's and World Cup.
  • UEFA make up the rules as they go along
  • So UEFA are responsible for an ENGLISH fa cup game kicking off at 7pm as they're worried about loaing champions league viewers? Absolutely ludicrous. Hope the FA cup game goes to Extra time & penalties. Fuck em.
  • praps there was a compromise .. the Hammers replay kicks off @ 7 p.m.
  • So UEFA are responsible for an ENGLISH fa cup game kicking off at 7pm as they're worried about loaing champions league viewers? Absolutely ludicrous. Hope the FA cup game goes to Extra time & penalties. Fuck em.

I'm not saying the Champions League is always brilliant football, but how many neutrals do you think are interested in West Ham vs. Man United in the FA Cup Quarterfinal replay? And what's wrong with a 7pm kick-off?
  • SDAddick said:

So UEFA are responsible for an ENGLISH fa cup game kicking off at 7pm as they're worried about loaing champions league viewers? Absolutely ludicrous. Hope the FA cup game goes to Extra time & penalties. Fuck em.

I'm not saying the Champions League is always brilliant football, but how many neutrals do you think are interested in West Ham vs. Man United in the FA Cup Quarterfinal replay? And what's wrong with a 7pm kick-off?
    I take your point. My grievance is with the fact UEFA can have so much control over a game of football in England
  • I don't get this supposed rule. How come TV companies all over Europe are showing the Palarse game tonight - including Benfica TV, believe it or not? But the two FA cup replays mentioned have been forced to kick off early to avoid a clash, even though they only half avoid that clash anyway. It's stupid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree, it's a tough challenge sometimes to get to The Valley for 19.45 kick-offs so 19.00 kick off is a lot more difficult. I remember trying to get to Upton Park when we were lodging there for evening games and it was a nightmare.
  • SDAddick said:

So UEFA are responsible for an ENGLISH fa cup game kicking off at 7pm as they're worried about loaing champions league viewers? Absolutely ludicrous. Hope the FA cup game goes to Extra time & penalties. Fuck em.

I take your point. My grievance is with the fact UEFA can have so much control over a game of football in England
    Bloody Europe. Vote leave!
  • SDAddick said:

Bloody Europe. Vote leave!
    I intentionally didn't open that can of worms! This is why we can't have nice things!!!!!

Covered End, not so sure about Athleti v. Barcelona, but certainly can see that for Benefica v. Bayern.

Chrissy's, I take your point, I was being a bit of devil's advocate. The only thing I would say is that this is but a smaller sign of a larger change in football.

Lastly, the point about 7pm kick-offs being problematic for fans is definitely a good point and not something to be flippant about, but frankly it's one of the many ways in which the administrators of English football show they have little regard for the supporters in the grounds.

• Surprisingly poor game so far with no atmosphere.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Surprisingly poor game so far with no atmosphere.

Let's hope it improves at their new ground... :-)
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Surprisingly poor game so far with no atmosphere.

Sounds like us next season Tutt Tutt.

• ooooooohhhhhhh. Great goal from Rashford.
  • Nice finish
  • Very good goal - composed.

• Tutt-Tutt said:

ooooooohhhhhhh. Great goal from Rashford.

Roy should pick him for the Euros .. imagine him and Kane up front with Vardy to come on later .. the new Shearer/Sheringham is here ((:>)