Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What has happened to Diego Poyet?

Is he injured?

Comments

• Seriously though, he's a shadow of the player we had two years ago. Anyone know how much compo we ended up getting for him?
  • Chizz said:

Seriously though, he's a shadow of the player we had two years ago. Anyone know how much compo we ended up getting for him?

I think the only compensation that RD (the incredibly smart businessman) and KM (his incredibly smart CEO) were able to negotiate was to get one player on loan from West Ham. Turned out it was Poyet.
    That would not surprise me.
  • Sponsored links:

• He still passes the ball accurately but has currently lost his knack of reading the game, intervening and tackling. He needs game time to retrieve these skills. He will probably come again..but I doubt if it will be with west ham. Silly (greedy) sod for leaving us in the first place when he was our star man.
  • edited April 2016
    SDAddick said:

I think in the year he was with us he benefited from having Jacko and Cousins in the midfield with him. The two of them could cover a lot of ground and Poyet was allowed to sit deep, read the game, break up play, and then had two midfielders directly in front of him to play simple passes to. I sort of wonder if he's ready to be part of a midfield two which required a lot more running, which for a sitting midfielder can really mess with their style of play. It's also a position, the deep lying defensive midfielder, that is a bit out of fashion right now. You've seen the likes of Makelele, De Jong, Gilberto, Hargreaves etc. replaced by more mobile destroyers like Busquets, Vidal, and any number of French midfielders.

It should also be noted that he's played for four teams in the last 18 months (Hudds, West Ham, MK Dons, and Charlton) each of whom will have their own systems and style of play.

Lastly, that type of deep midfielder, even when they're doing their job well, it's very subtle and it's often based on closing players and passing lanes down, slowing opposition attacks, and then tackling and interception when possible.

None of this is to say he's doing well, and it feels like when he got the move to West Ham he might have put his feet up and said "I made it," but I do think there are other factors at play.

Verratti can do all of that and has the passing ability just short of Pirlo.
  • How did Diego Poyet go from being the main man the first time around to the Invisible Man this time ?
  • dizzee said:

SDAddick said:

I think in the year he was with us he benefited from having Jacko and Cousins in the midfield with him. The two of them could cover a lot of ground and Poyet was allowed to sit deep, read the game, break up play, and then had two midfielders directly in front of him to play simple passes to. I sort of wonder if he's ready to be part of a midfield two which required a lot more running, which for a sitting midfielder can really mess with their style of play. It's also a position, the deep lying defensive midfielder, that is a bit out of fashion right now. You've seen the likes of Makelele, De Jong, Gilberto, Hargreaves etc. replaced by more mobile destroyers like Busquets, Vidal, and any number of French midfielders.

It should also be noted that he's played for four teams in the last 18 months (Hudds, West Ham, MK Dons, and Charlton) each of whom will have their own systems and style of play.

Lastly, that type of deep midfielder, even when they're doing their job well, it's very subtle and it's often based on closing players and passing lanes down, slowing opposition attacks, and then tackling and interception when possible.

None of this is to say he's doing well, and it feels like when he got the move to West Ham he might have put his feet up and said "I made it," but I do think there are other factors at play.

Verratti can do all of that and has the passing ability just short of Pirlo.
    And he's smaller than me!! I sort of subconsciously group him in with the French midfielders like Matuidi because he really broke through at PSG.
  • He's not even as good as he was 2 years ago, and if you can't make the bench of a team 23rd in the Championship, what does that say for your future? I reckon we will see him down at The Valley next year playing for an opposition team
  • Smithy said:

I was at a party with him a few years ago and he was an absolute dick. Hope this helps.

Perhaps thats why he keeps tripping up when he runs, hes "tackling" himself.
  • SDAddick said:

Mate, can you be our next manager, you know more than peeters, Riga, fraye* and Luzon combined?!

* Admittedly so does my two year old daughter.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

No, he was brilliant that season. He's evidently either lost confidence or motivation; both could see the end of his chances of being a top level player
  • edited April 2016
    Smithy said:

I was at a party with him a few years ago and he was an absolute dick. Hope this helps.

It probably does say a lot. He clearly made a financial decision, rather than a footballing one. He may pay for it with his career or at least the level of his career. I hope not, but he wasn't from a council estate, why didn't his dad give him the right advice? Crazy.

The truth is, he was ahead of Cousins at that point, now he isn't even close to Cousins. There is a young man who deserves a great career and I think he will have one.
  • Still can't understand why he wanted to leave our smoothly run first team coaching operation for bigger wages and miss out on the opportunity to ply his trade elsewhere for one of Rolands other clubs , strange move for him

Maybe he also found it hard to work with an intelligent and articulate female Sporting Executive who understands football, even if she's a businesswoman.
  • A long time sat on his arse doing nothing seems to have taken its toll.
  • wmcf123 said:

Another John Bostock?
    Young footballers need to be playing- not bench warming for a season or two.
    Take note Ademola Lookman.

Agreed. Dele Alli shows that playing in league 1 doesn't hinder development
    Alli is actually 2 years younger than Poyet, so he joined Spurs at a younger age than Poyet was when he joined West Ham. He's the rare case of a youngster joining a PL club and going straight into the team

I imagine Diego and Gus expected him to get plenty of game time with West Ham last season, but then they signed Alex Song