Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Erith and Belvedere FC

Fancied a game on Saturday so scanned the area for affordable, non league options and popped along to Erith and Belvedere at Park View Road.

Small crowd of around 50 (fifty) which is probably the smallest I have been in but a more committed honest performance from a team you could not hope to find. Ran out 3-2 winners against Canterbury City.

The quality of the football was a lot better than I'd expected. Big number 10 orchestrating play from the back (like a Peter Garland in his non league spell). And a nifty winger called Josh who was always looking to take on the defender and usually beat him.

It was surreal really with half the ground open, and a burger bar and clubhouse (the Deres bar) but so few people there, and an obviously committed team of volunteers keeping them going. A club like this deserves support and I'll be going back. Not bad for £8.

4 games left this season and Crowborough next up on 16th I think. I'll check the Charlton fixture list first as usual but happy to explore alternative options for now.

Comments

• I occasionally go and watch Greenwich Borough who are top of that league at the minute and hopefully going for promotion.

Not much difference in quality of football from Charlton to be fair and many of the players at that level were on the books of the likes of us, Millwall and other clubs and just missed out on making it for whatever reasons and some are even ex pros who are at the end of their careers.

Good day out and proper football. Not a sofa in sight!
  • Remember Erith & Belvedere being in the Southern Premier (the old Conference South) not too long ago.. they've fallen a long way

• Small crowd of around 50 (fifty) which is probably the smallest I have been in

Do they all sit in that newer stand built when the Deres moved into PVR?

A few months back I popped into see Bridon Ropes FC play Kent Football United at Meridian Sports Ground in Charlton - it was only 20 minutes before the end so they let me in for nothing (normally £5 I think). About 30 people in a seated stand. No great skill but was watchable and there were some decent jokes coming from the crowd before Bridon Ropes grabbed a late winner. Wouldn't mind popping back some day.
  • I occasionally go and watch Greenwich Borough who are top of that league at the minute and hopefully going for promotion.

Not much difference in quality of football from Charlton to be fair and many of the players at that level were on the books of the likes of us, Millwall and other clubs and just missed out on making it for whatever reasons and some are even ex pros who are at the end of their careers.

Is Gary Borrowdale still there? I know he was a little while ago.

• Fancied a game on Saturday so scanned the area for affordable, non league options and popped along to Erith and Belvedere at Park View Road.

Small crowd of around 50 (fifty) which is probably the smallest I have been in but a more committed honest performance from a team you could not hope to find. Ran out 3-2 winners against Canterbury City.

The quality of the football was a lot better than I'd expected. Big number 10 orchestrating play from the back (like a Peter Garland in his non league spell). And a nifty winger called Josh who was always looking to take on the defender and usually beat him.

It was surreal really with half the ground open, and a burger bar and clubhouse (the Deres bar) but so few people there, and an obviously committed team of volunteers keeping them going. A club like this deserves support and I'll be going back. Not bad for £8.

4 games left this season and Crowborough next up on 16th I think. I'll check the Charlton fixture list first as usual but happy to explore alternative options for now.

My home town. Pretty sure Robbie Elliot started out there. Where are they playing these days?

• Small crowd of around 50 (fifty) which is probably the smallest I have been in

Do they all sit in that newer stand built when the Deres moved into PVR?

A few months back I popped into see Bridon Ropes FC play Kent Football United at Meridian Sports Ground in Charlton - it was only 20 minutes before the end so they let me in for nothing (normally £5 I think). About 30 people in a seated stand. No great skill but was watchable and there were some decent jokes coming from the crowd before Bridon Ropes grabbed a late winner. Wouldn't mind popping back some day.
    Yes inspector. Sit or stand along one edge or behind the goals. I last went to wellng when it was all standing along that edge so thought it must be Deres money that funded the newer stand and bar.
  • My other team, but haven't been for a few years now.

@swords_alive when you go back you can go anywhere you like - the ground looks like its half open but it's actually all open. You can probably have the Welling stand to yourself!

The current manager was heavily involved with the league and cup double winning team of 2012/13 - I'm sure with the right backing he can improve the club's fortunes.

The club are in the final of the league cup this season, being played at a neutral venue (Welling's ground - yes, I know!). Should be a couple of hundred in the ground for that.
  • Park view road mate, share with Welling.
  • Swisdom said:

I occasionally go and watch Greenwich Borough who are top of that league at the minute and hopefully going for promotion.

Yes mate
  • Swisdom said:

I occasionally go and watch Greenwich Borough who are top of that league at the minute and hopefully going for promotion.

Yes mate
    He lives down the road from me. Apparently picking up a couple of grand a week even at that level but they can't compete with moneybags Margate. I kid you not

• Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Yes mate
    He lives down the road from me. Apparently picking up a couple of grand a week even at that level but they can't compete with moneybags Margate. I kid you not

Sorry - lost track here - who is paying Borrowdale that much?
  • We lived halfway between Belvedere and Abbey Wood and back in the mid 60's, Erith & Belvedere was my first true live match and football ground that I visited. I went on and off right up until we moved oop north in the late 70's
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Yes mate

From what I've heard the Margate plug may have been pulled.
  • Used to love playing at their old ground and always seemed to have a good game there.

Playing right back, scored a cracker from about 25yds for VCD and had a load of mates there that night singing in the stand 'if Lee Dixon can play for England so can Smudge'. Happy days

• Fancied a game on Saturday so scanned the area for affordable, non league options and popped along to Erith and Belvedere at Park View Road.

My home town.
    Erith or Belvedere? I was originally a Belvedere girl before I moved to Glasgow. As a teenager I'd sometimes go to the old Park View when Charlton were away.

My home town.
    Erith or Belvedere? I was originally a Belvedere girl before I moved to Glasgow. As a teenager I'd sometimes go to the old Park View when Charlton were away.
    Erith. Exiled in Yorkshire these days.
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Yes mate

Sorry - lost track here - who is paying Borrowdale that much?
    Greenwich Borough are paying that,

• Found these on the net of Park View. The middle one is of the 1953 flood which apparently almost reached the height of the crossbar. The last one is how it looks today
  • Do B&Q realise that their sign is proper wonky?
  • Sponsored links:

• Used to go in the mid-90s up until the ground burnt down. Remember going to watch a Tottenham old boys game there which I found out about on soccer am
  • I played there a few times in early 90s for the Bexley league representative team and E&B themselves - shocking pitch to say he least
  • Do B&Q realise that their sign is proper wonky?

If only someone had a level.