Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mellor on Pardew

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
in the sub standard

Pardew dodges the axe

Some people are amazed when managers are put under pressure, but I'm invariably more astonished when they're not.

I mean, why is Charlton's Alan Pardew not dreading every minute of every day that the trapdoor beckons?

Charlton are probably the best resourced side in the Championship, what with the Premier League parachute money, and that £16.5million steal for Darren Bent. Yet on Saturday they were stuffed 3-0 by lowly Barnsley, and have slumped to 12th place, way behind minnows like Bristol City, Hull, and even little Plymouth.

It's hard to think of another example of a well-supported, financially strong club, who have performed so badly after relegation. Loyalty is a virtue the Charlton directors seem determined to turn into a vice.

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    This is going to turn into a "Mellor is a d*ckhead thread".

"It's hard to think of another example of a well-supported, financially strong club who have performed so badly after relegation."

That's because Mr Mellor there are not many who are who have been relegated. But surely we should be praised for that fact rather than it as a negative against us. That is why you are finding it so perplexing you idiot.
  • he is a d1ckhead, but he's not that far from the thruth!!
  • remember when we used to get called 'lowly'

I hate that expression
  • who gives a flying toe suck what that **** thinks anyway
  • David Mellor was a client of my previous firm.

All I can say is: he's a complete ****!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]This is going to turn into a "Mellor is a d*ckhead thread".

Mellor, you're a d*ckhead and always have been.[/quote]

Agreed.

He knows nothing about football, was a Fulham fan when it suited him, then magically became a Chelsea when John Major became PM and he's somehow managed to turn that into a career as a football expert after wrecking the 606 show with smug asides about "plucky little <insert name of small football club> turning over a larger outfit in the FA Cup.

And it's ironic that he questions Charlton's loyalty to Pardew after his extra-marital affairs and use of his family as a stage prop, as I recall he was quite keen to have Major's loyalty then...
  • If Mellor was a Charlton fan he would probably go and support Palace now as they are doing better.

Having said that, he is bang on with what he says.
  • So the wobbly chelsea/fulham/whoever it is trendy to support this week fan has used his column for something other than self abusing himself over pictures of Drogba. I suppose Standard readers should be grateful at least, and as much as I hate to say it, he kind of has a point...

...even if it is a typical tabloid media 'lets get a manager sacked and slag off the club for impatience' kind of point.
  • He definitely has a point and the fact that we are labouring 12th i would have thought is worthy of at least a couple of column inches. I feel slighted that we have not made any headlines due to the fact that we are so shite and finished so badly.
  • I reckon Pardew's agent put him up to it..

he he he
  • Sponsored links:

• How i long for the day when no-marks like Mellor brand us as lowly and plucky again.

Its called being a PROPER football club mate.

He's probably related to the idiot a fortnight ago who asked me which Premiership team i follow now we've been relegated....
  • what is a no mark?
  • fair point i say even if he is a helmet
  • I just wonder how often Mellor took the time and trouble to comment on us when we were doing well...
  • Get off our land....
  • i cant look at this fella without thinking of him in the news of the screws with his chelski kit and that slapper he was having it with imagine him on the vinegar stroke
  • good looking bird wasn't she (not) and I hate that word "plucky" but then again he has a valid point regardless of who is and who I'd does support there aren't many clubs that would put up with our performances and results this season I think Pardew should feel a tad relieved and every time he phone rings and sees chairman on the caller I'd I should imagian he thnks twice about answering it
  • I've trod in things that are more worthy of my time than David Mellor.

Still, maybe Mellor could pen a few words about his original club.... Fulham.
  • I called him a shithead and got cut off just after the shithe.......

It was around the time Bowyer was coming through, and me and my mate were listening to some of his waffle after football training one night. My mate was pissing himself as he was downstairs listening to it and I was upstairs on the blower with about a 5 second delay.

That was when I realised how much fun swearing on a radio phone in could be
  • You could always try getting on tonight's 606 and shouting abuse at Tim Lovejoy if you like, someone else who doesn't remember when Chelsea were shit...
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't remember the last time I listened to it to be truthful.

I'd happily abuse Lovejoy though. Plastic Chelsea skidmark.
  • Anyone taking David Mellors advice on football seriously needs to have a very long think about their self-esteem.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Anyone taking David Mellors advice on football seriously needs to have a very long think about their self-esteem.[/quote]

You can extend that to anything that Mellors says.
  • edited May 2008
    Sure, Hull and Bristol City have done exceptionally well this season, but they've just fine tuned the nucleus of the sides they already had last season. Charlton have more or less had to totally rebuild - and it shows.

"...way behind little Plymouth" - they are 2 places ahead of us, after just 3 games ago, losing at home to a Charlton side who played with 10 men and a rookie goalkeeper for 87 minutes.

Charlton made 5 changes at Barnsley, including debuts for a 16 year old schoolboy and an 18 year old.
    Barnsley played as if their lives depended on it, which of course was the case.

I should mention, this is the same Barnsley that recently beat Liverpool at Anfield and, of course, this idiot's Chelsea.

The meaningless end of season match for one side has always been with us.
    Last season, Fulham beat a deliberately weakened Liverpool side because their 'lives' depended on it.
    And Birmingham nearly did the same last Saturday.

We all know Pardew should have achieved better with the resources at his disposal - but we don't need some clown with no inside knowledge of the club and desperate to fill his column inches at any cost, to spout his rubbish as to why we were unable to 'buy'' promotion.
  • i've never read you this angry before oggy !!
    it's ok next season expectations will be lower, crowds will be lower(less booooers in the ground) and the pressure will be off and we can look to improve on this season and maybe finish top 10;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    We all know Pardew should have achieved better with the resources at his disposal - but we don't need some clown with no inside knowledge of the club and desperate to fill his column inches at any cost, to spout his rubbish as to why we were unable to 'buy'' promotion.

Give the dog a biscuit, well said Oggy !
  • Oggy is back Ay ho ay ho Oggy is back