Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leicester

Would Leicester be where they are if Nigel Pearson was still there,or is it all down to Ranieri.

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Derek1952 said:

Would Leicester be where they are if Nigel Pearson was still there,or is it all down to Ranieri.

How long is a piece of string ?
  • What will be there transfer kitty this summer?.
  • Don't think there is a straight forward answer to that question. What they have achieved is so miraculous and out of the blue that I don't think there is a logical explanation - it's just happening!
  • edited April 2016
    No way. Ranieri is the manager and he has not only picked tactics and subs, he has also created a harmonious dressing room and you can see the players love him.
  • Pearson should get a medal
  • Pearson may have come across to the outside world as a bit of a knob, but he was really popular with the players, and it was the turnaround that started in the final 10 games of last season which gave Ranieri a great base to build from.
  • Sponsored links:

• They also had great continuity from their Championship team

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26300042

• A lot of factors have gone into making that club successful, and a bizarre chain of events allowed it all to happen. A bunch of people will make a lot of money writing about how and why this occurred.

From Ranieri's point of view, he looked at the resources at his disposal and put together a plan to make the club relatively succesful. Just like every other manager has ever done at the start of their tenure. The difference with him is, whatever he decided to do worked way beyond even his wildest dreams.

Could Pearson have done the same? With his approach to tactics? Honestly, without knowing precisely what they do/ did in training, I think it's impossible to have a reasonably realistic opinion.

Pearson struck me as a maniac. That worked for him for a short period, but it's hard to imagine that remaining effective in the long term. What happened with him may have got the team spirit ball rolling, but his behaviour (and his son's transgressions) are the flaps of a butterfly's wings that ultimately led to their hurricane of a season.
  • Interesting article in the Observer (I think) today about Ranieri.

It makes it clear that he has identified players to fit whichever system the team needs to play really quickly (and quicker than Pearson did last season) - the key example being highlighted was that Inler was brought in to be their main man in midfield (to replace Cambiasso), but he has not started since September.

I'm sure that he, himself, will admit that he was lucky, but he has trusted some fairly unheralded players and they have done brilliantly.

Them winning the Prem is my second biggest footballing wish of the moment.

• Them winning the Prem is my second biggest footballing wish of the moment.

first being??? RD having a heart attack?
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Them winning the Prem is my second biggest footballing wish of the moment.

first being??? RD having a heart attack?

Well, the precise cause of his demise as The Shareholder can be left open to interpretation...
  • Pearson and the team at the end of last season done a fantastic job. 7 points adrift at the bottom with 9 games to go.

However, I think it would be rather insulting to Ranieri and the work he has done this season if people started saying about Pearson etc. They're so much more organised and such a brilliant work rate and determination for each other as well as the necessary quality and skill, it all has to stem from him. It would be impossible to say what would happen, but Ranieri is a quality manager, you don't have his CV of clubs if you're not.

I think it's fair to say although the players have largely remained the same and done a fantastic job, beyond anything we all could've expected, Ranieri has taken them all to a completely new level that I don't believe Pearson would've been able to achieve.

One thing is for sure, it shows you get it right all throughout the club and a group of players who are passionate, you get the rewards from it.
  • I don't know how much they paid for Konte but it wasn't enough
  • I still can't believe they can do it , even though it really looks like they should

Wibble wibble wibble
  • edited April 2016

I don't know how much they paid for Konte but it wasn't enough

"Undisclosed" but rumoured at £5.6m.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ranieri has managed to get them playing with freedom all season. Now things are getting tight he has managed to keep them calm and focussed while also organizing them into a defensive unit George Graham would be proud of.

He hasn't had to do much in the transfer market but I think his man management has been excellent and he's got it right with the odd bit of tactical tinkering he has had to do. He was also smart enough to not try and revolutionise the way they play, rather he just refined it a little bit.

I don't personally think Pearson would have been able to man manage the situation as well as Ranieri has.

I really hope it still comes down to them
    sealing it with a win a Stamford Bridge.
  • Hope its done the game before.
    Nice for Ranieri to get a guard of honour at his old club.
  • I read that Pearson wanted to sell Vardy to Shef wendies in the summer for 2.4 mill. But the board knew they were going to replace him so blocked the move.

For that reason (if it is true) I think Pearson deserves zero credit.

Really dont want to see Leicester having to lift the trophy away from home, all their fans deserve to see that moment happen and bet prices will rocket as people buy tickets and then sell them on

Really dont want to see Leicester having to lift the trophy away from home, all their fans deserve to see that moment happen
    That's a "wallet too small for my fifties, diamond shoes are too tight" issue really.
  • I still can't believe they can do it , even though it really looks like they should

Wibble wibble wibble

Me too but I think if not them who?

The others are so far a drift and have not an easy run in.
  • edited April 2016
    Sage said:

Pearson and the team at the end of last season done a fantastic job. 7 points adrift at the bottom with 9 games to go.

However, I think it would be rather insulting to Ranieri and the work he has done this season if people started saying about Pearson etc. They're so much more organised and such a brilliant work rate and determination for each other as well as the necessary quality and skill, it all has to stem from him. It would be impossible to say what would happen, but Ranieri is a quality manager, you don't have his CV of clubs if you're not.

I think it's fair to say although the players have largely remained the same and done a fantastic job, beyond anything we all could've expected, Ranieri has taken them all to a completely new level that I don't believe Pearson would've been able to achieve.

One thing is for sure, it shows you get it right all throughout the club and a group of players who are passionate, you get the rewards from it.

I don't think it's a question of insulting Ranieri, just acknowledging that he inherited a team who were in superb form at the end of last season, top 6 form indeed, and that Pearson wasn't sacked for on the pitch reasons, but rather for his erratic behaviour in the dugout and with the press, and maybe that racism incident involving his son was the final straw.
  • I stand to be corrected but I believe Ranieri was unemployed when Curbs left. Never understood why we didn't try and get him at the time.

I also read somewhere that Ranieri went into Leicester with a plan to change things. After a couple of training sessions, the senior pros pulled him aside and told him "that's not how we do it here". Ranieri agreed to do it their way provided it worked. Good decision on his part!