Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Coleman issues rallying call

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
from the Cov Telegraph:

CHRIS COLEMAN has sent out a rallying call to his Coventry City players to finish the season as he intends to start the next, with a bang.

Like the supporters, the Sky Blues' boss is disappointed that Monday night's result at West Brom means the team go into their final match at Charlton needing at least a point to guarantee safety.

But he remains determined that the club do it in their own right rather than hoping or relying on other results going their way.

"I would be delighted to be sitting here now if Southampton had lost on Monday night, but they haven't and we have to go to Charlton and get a result," said Coleman who can take heart from the fact that City have sold out their allocation of 3,208 for Sunday's match at The Valley - the biggest away following in the league this season.

The club had asked for more to be made available but Charlton refused.

"I could see it coming, I really could. I was talking after the game on Saturday and while some were saying West Brom were going to win, I said that they only had to look at the way things have gone since we have been here and we have never, ever had big favours done for us by another team."

And the manager admits that Monday night's match at The Hawthorns didn't make for particularly pleasurable viewing.

"I can't say I don't suffer with stress because I do and it was a long night after that result," he said.

"I watched it at home and I could almost see the first 15-20 minutes when West Brom looked a bit nervous, they didn't really play with that flow that has made them the best team in the league.

"Kevin Phillips wasn't getting his touches and the timing of his runs wasn't right, and I said to my wife, ' I will take a draw right now,'.

"And then when Southampton scored, I thought, 'here we go!' and then someone missed a header from a corner, the keeper made a great save from a Phillips' header and Ishmael Miller made a great run to the near post and he stopped that.

"But when they got one back I thought a point was all right because we know we can still go to Charlton and look after ourselves."

He added: "Looking at the games last Saturday, if Leicester had beaten Sheffield Wednesday we would have been safe, but they lost 3-1. But I said to the guys, if we are going to stay in this league let's do it off our own back.

"You don't want to be sitting after the last game of the season having lost and having to have depended on someone else's result to keep you in the league.

"We want to go there and get the point or points that we need to do the job, and that's what we have got to do now.

"You should always try to finish as strongly as you can anyway, even if there was nothing riding on the game because you finish your last game in the way you want to start your first one next season.

"We said a few weeks ago that we had four or five cup finals and this is the last one, so let's go down to Charlton and finish it off."

Comments

• Oh well thats us done then

Pards we need a win you can not let these nthn Mugs come on our manor and win you better get the boys up for it
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]you can not let these nthn Mugs come on our manor and win

Cov haven't lost at the Valley for 43 years.
  • during those 43 years we've played them about 15 time at home and that includes games at Sellout
  • Coleman's got this bit right:

"You should always try to finish as strongly as you can anyway, even if there was nothing riding on the game because you finish your last game in the way you want to start your first one next season".
  • they are struggling so bound to win
  • We are struggling so they are bound to win!
  • Is there any other fixture they'd want? Nope, don't think there is.
  • cov to win 3-1