Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Seasons Squad

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
I would like to see a squad of no more than 24 players, 22 owned by us, 2 full season loans from the big 4 up and coming potential.

Our 22 to include Youga, Moo2, Wagstaff, Shelvey, Varney, Weaver, Elliot or Randolph, Bhougerra, ZZ, Dickson, Basey

Lose Thomas, Todorov - not sure he'll be fit for this league, Gibbs- He just ain't gonna stay, Powell - from Playing squad, Thatcher, Halford, Sodje

That leaves a whole bunch of players after that that could stay or go. Semedo, Racon, Holland, Ambrose, Christensen, Faye, Bent, Fortune, Gray, MCCarthy, Iwelumo, McCleod, Monteiro, Sam, Sankofa, D. Sinclair, A Thomas,Walker

That gives us 30 players within the 1st and 2nd group, so we would need to cull at least 8 but probably 11 of those to get down to 22 players and bring 3 in. What do you think. I'd definetly lose Sam, Sankofa, Sinclair,Walker (going to Southend) Christensen, Fortune, Faye, Bent, McCarthy, Iwelumo, McCleod.

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I would like to see a squad of no more than 24 players, 22 owned by us, 2 full season loans from the big 4 up and coming potential.

Our 22 to include Youga, Moo2, Wagstaff, Shelvey, Varney, Weaver, Elliot or Randolph, Bhougerra, ZZ, Dickson, Basey

Lose Thomas, Todorov - not sure he'll be fit for this league, Gibbs- He just ain't gonna stay, Powell - from Playing squad, Thatcher, Halford, Sodje

That leaves a whole bunch of players after that that could stay or go. Semedo, Racon, Holland, Ambrose, Christensen, Faye, Bent, Fortune, Gray, MCCarthy, Iwelumo, McCleod, Monteiro, Sam, Sankofa, D. Sinclair, A Thomas,Walker

That gives us 30 players within the 1st and 2nd group, so we would need to cull at least 8 but probably 11 of those to get down to 22 players and bring 3 in. What do you think. I'd definetly lose Sam, Sankofa, Sinclair,Walker (going to Southend) Christensen, Fortune, Faye, Bent, McCarthy, Iwelumo, McCleod.

I must say I almost agree with that 100%. It makes a lot of sense
  • Keep not only the players with best ability - but also those with passion and a big heart.
  • edited April 2008
    Keepers - Weaver, Randolph, Elliot

Backs - Moutaouakil, Solly, Youga, Basey, Gibbs, McCarthy, Bougherra, Fortune

Middle - Zhi, Semedo, Holland, Wright, Arter, Shevley, Ambrose, Sam, Thomas, Wagstaff, Racon

Front - Gray, Varney, Todorov, Dickson, Iwelumo
  • Shirty i reckon you are not far way with that squad

mine would be minus Ambrose,thomas,Weaver,Fortune

replaced with

Hoolihan,Earnshaw,Deano,Monterio
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Keep not only the players with best ability - but also those with passion and a big heart.

To me thats Holland, Iwelumo and McCarthy and I am not sure that they are good enough as 1st teamers, Holland I would keep for his effort and ability to shut a agm,e down off the bench, but not sure about McCarthy and Iwelumo has been one of my fav players this season but I don't think he is good enough to get us promotion.
  • release Holland, Powell, Thatcher, Faye and sell Thomas, Sam, Fortune, Sankofa and McLeod
  • Sorry Im going to be brutal. Based on the numbers in squad that shirty5 provided.

Keepers - Weaver, ? need some older competition for Weaver

Backs - Moutaouakil, Solly, Youga, Basey, ?, ?, Bougherra, ?

Middle - Zhi, ? , Holland, Wright, Arter, Shevley, ?, ?, ?, Wagstaff, ?

Front - Gray, ?, ?, Dickson, ?
  • I know the arguement for/against McCleod has raged on and on before but I personally would keep him. I still believe with a run he'll come good and with a trimmed squad there'll be more chance for that run to occur.
  • McLeod - Very hard to offload a player out injured
  • I think WSS quoted Iwelumo as saying Izzy would score bucket loads when confident (or something along those lines). Its the same impression I get.
  • Sponsored links:

• I personally agree pretty much with Kap's suggestions at the top of the thread.

I'm expecting to see the vast majority of the following leave the club in the summer:

Thomas
    Thatcher
    Powell
    Fortune
    Sankofa
    Varney
    Gibbs
    Todorov

With a very strong possibility of Ambrose, Gray, Sam and Weaver going, depending on what anyone offers for them.

Youga staying will be largely dependant on what he gets offered by other clubs. Holland i have no idea whether he will get offered another year. Personally, if we could get near our money back, i'd offload McCarthy as well.
  • So another rebuild?
  • Smudge

have you been eating sad pills all day bud you seem unhappy has the season taken its toll or have you been locked in a small room with Charlie block

unloading 14 players potentailly is there info you have that you wish to share with us

I am expecting a cull but not that many

for sale Thomas,Ambrose,Forts,Weaver,Varney, Powell on to coaching staff, todorov on a free (personally i would keep him)
  • AFKA

As you are obviously in the know can you let Thomas, Sam and Thatcher know I will personally drive them anywhere they want to go. One way of course.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Smudge

have you been eating sad pills all day bud you seem unhappy has the season taken its toll or have you been locked in a small room with Charlie block

unloading 14 players potentailly is there info you have that you wish to share with us

I am expecting a cull but not that many

for sale Thomas,Ambrose,Forts,Weaver,Varney, Powell on to coaching staff, todorov on a free (personally i would keep him)

Be nice to AFKA, NLA.

Poor lad's just come back from holiday - and a week away from this site.

;o)
  • Out of the players listed AFKA the only one's I'd like to see stay are:

Varney
    Weaver
    Todorov (If fit)

The rest personally I wouldn't mind leaving, the only problem is I can't see us getting good money for these players really.
  • my influence is slowly working on AFKA.
  • Youve broke his Soul steve like when the real bart sold it to millhouse
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Out of the players listed AFKA the only one's I'd like to see stay are:

Varney
    Weaver
    Todorov (If fit)

The rest personally I wouldn't mind leaving, the only problem is I can't see us getting good money for these players really.

If we culled down to a smaller squad we would save on wages, for instance Iwelumo is allegedly on £11k per week, therefore £572,000
  • 11k per week you are fecking joking me
  • Sponsored links:

• No wonder he turned down 4 other clubs to sign for us .....!!!!!
  • i think the key word there is 'alleged' which i take as 'false'
  • Actually means nobody knows .......
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I know the arguement for/against McCleod has raged on and on before but I personally would keep him. I still believe with a run he'll come good and with a trimmed squad there'll be more chance for that run to occur.

Agreed. McCleod and Varney looked good when they had that spell together. Unfortunetly Pardew felt that hoofing it long was the way to go rather than using strikers with pace!
  • I fully expect Varney, Ambrose, Gray, and Weaver to feature prominently next season.
  • [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Keepers - Weaver, Randolph, Elliot

Backs - Moutaouakil, Solly, Youga, Basey, Gibbs, McCarthy, Bougherra, Fortune

Middle - Zhi, Semedo, Holland, Wright, Arter, Shevley, Ambrose, Sam, Thomas, Wagstaff, Racon

Front - Gray, Varney, Todorov, Dickson, Iwelumo

I'd get rid of McCarthy, Fortune, Sam, Thomas, Holland, Ambrose, Iwelumo (for anything +500k) or 1 of Varney or Gray
    Loan out; arter, yussef, godfrey, all til crimbo BUT with call back clause's

put in2 first team (on top of above selection) montiero, I'd keep Mcloed - think he'll come good this yr, and 1.25 mill will seem a bargain

try buy a box2box midfielder, with experiance, heart and can head the ball, atleast 1 decent CB who can sodding head the ball.

obviously depending on who we can get any money for, selling thomas and ambrose, bring in a decent winger who has an end product.

Try loan an up and coming striker, in the fraser campbell mold, and poss loan a winger in the same mold - top 4 pedegree, not bottom 4 cast off's
  • edited April 2008
    Fortune is our best defender (unless Gibbs is better but Pardew won't even give him a go) we should keep him. We have won 16 games this season and Fortune played in 11 of those.

Agree with the principle of a squad of 25 or so though.

I set out my thoughts here

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=16168

I missed Semedo out but would keep him as a squad player.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]McLeod - Very hard to offload a player out injured

offer him to roy keane?
  • he would look too skinny in stripes
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]he would look too skinny in stripes

Like Andy Reid then:-)