Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So lets be honest now.....

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Seeing as bar the technicals, this season is over.

This has been the most non-descript, disappointing season since.....when ?

Certainly more disappointing than last year's relegation.
Certainly more so than any of the other prem years,
Or any of the post-Valley return years.

So when was the last time where we had such an unenjoyable season where the club moved backwards ?

Must be 70s / early 80s surely ?

Comments

• Yes

This has been the most let down i have felt at 33 thats a lot of footie not compared to some of our senior members but enough for me
  • edited April 2008
    that's the problem we've had so many years of success this is a shock to the system.
  • I wouldnt say shock Ledge the season when Curbs left i predicted the doom and gloom the shock for me was how poor we have been at times and that we were unable to compete in this league
  • Since 79 /80 relegation season.

The Club moved backwards and almost out of existence under Hulyer but at least the football was enjoyable at times with Simonsen for instance.

I've not enjoyed a lot of our football this season (I've only been to home games so cannot speak about away matches -sorry oohah:-) ) we've humped it to Big Chris on his own far too much for my liking. If that style gets results eg Curbs playing 4-5-1 with Bartlett then fine but we played horrible stuff and still got beat!

It will be better in league 1 though:-)
  • oh we have competed up until Jan when he brought the loan players in - sorry no coincidence but we've gone downhill since.
  • WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    Here's a graph of our season, we were fifth for a while:

CharltonAth_pos.gif
  • To be honest I was more disappointed by some of the latter Prem years. Perhaps I'm just used to the seasons tailing off into nothing. Anyway, I don't feel we've moved backwards just because one season failed to meet our high expectations ... that's just football! We have got some good young players, a manager I believe will deliver for us and I'm looking forward to next season.
  • said for a long while that pardew has been the worst manager for a full season since Mullery. i reckon 1981/2 was the last big crap season after such a promising season with Bailey. so worst for twenty five years.. well done pards and murray
  • And our monthly performance, is it as bad as we all thought or is it bad due to expectation? Discuss:

monthlysi4.png
  • I've enjoyed this season a lot more than the last few prem, maybe that's just me though.
  • Sponsored links:

• And our monthly performance, is it as bad as we all thought or is it bad due to expectation? Discuss:

monthlysi4.png
  • Poor season all round, I only enjoyed watching the Blackpool 4-1 game, we looked useful in that fixture, other than that, complete pone.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Yes

This has been the most let down i have felt at 33 thats a lot of footie not compared to some of our senior members but enough for me

Same age mate and feel the same...
  • i think westsides's graphs are far more entertaining than most of our performances this year.
  • wow graphs and stuff nicccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeee.
  • that's why he is mangerial material ;-)
  • So much negativity!!

Cheer up guys the glass is half-full :-)
  • The stats show there were only 3 months out of 9 when we won more than we lost. That's disappointing.
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Here's a graph of our season, we were fifth for a while:

CharltonAth_pos.gif

Very impressed, WSS.
    Didn't know we had clever supporters on this board.

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Not mine Oggy, see website above.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]I've enjoyed this season a lot more than the last few prem, maybe that's just me though.
    Stu ... many people on here were saying the same before Reid was sold - they seem to have forgotten those days!

It is disappointing to hear the boos in some of the post-Reid games and the negativity repeated in this forum. It will be hard for the players to be fired up next season when the fans are such a bunch of moaners!
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Not mine Oggy, see website above.

Oh WSS, you've spoiled the illusion.

So really you're no more clever than the rest of us?
  • zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yes lets blame the fans.
  • I'm not cleverer than the majority, just a blagger. ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]I've enjoyed this season a lot more than the last few prem, maybe that's just me though.
    Stu ... many people on here were saying the same before Reid was sold - they seem to have forgotten those days!

It is disappointing to hear the boos in some of the post-Reid games and the negativity repeated in this forum. It will be hard for the players to be fired up next season when the fans are such a bunch of moaners!

Perhaps next season, Charlton fans will be divided into 2 factions:
    Supporters - and Anti-Supporters..........

;o)
  • "Clowns to the left of you jokers to the right here i am stuck in the middle with you"
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]I've enjoyed this season a lot more than the last few prem, maybe that's just me though.

Perhaps next season, Charlton fans will be divided into 2 factions:
    Supporters - and Anti-Supporters..........

;o)

I think the old gits amongst us know just how long we were in the second tier under Gliksten and fear that the same again could prove the death knell of the Club in a far harsher financial climate.

We nearly went once before and the price of survival was Selhurst!!

Those memories are going to colour the comments of some of us.

Where's Oggy's prozac?:-)
  • I agree that it has been one of the most disappointing seasons. For me the reason is that we played such awful football. In the Premiership years I was used to some skill and passion even if lost at least we tried to win, before that Charlton sides always showed passion, were of an attacking nature even of the defence was crap. OK all the games weren't marvelous but in general I usually came away from games having been entertained and when we lost at least we had a go,

I didn't expect us to gain promotion this season, I have always thought it to be a 2 season job but I did expect Pardew to build a team that would play attacking football and grow into a team to push for promotion next season. This hasn't happened and the games at Barnsley and Blackpool were good examples of us being well beaten by teams with little skill but well organised and wanting to win - we didn't and that's what makes this season one of the worst - our team didn't look as if they could or even wanted to win games - that's not the Charlton that I know!
  • for me it's the lack of fight that hurts most,if we had a lack of ability fair enough,but i still say with the squad we have automatic promotion should have been achievable and play off's should have been a certainty so im with Len most dissapointing since 1980/81