Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***CARD Statement - Thursday 10th March***(Ed. Funeral March, 74th min walkout + more)

The hopes and dreams of Charlton supporters will be buried on Sunday.

Fans from the Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet will carry a coffin to The Valley 45 minutes before kick-off to symbolise what the club’s owner and chief executive Katrien Meire have done to the Addicks, and they are inviting supporters to line the route to pay their respects.

The mock funeral procession will kick off what CARD intends to be an afternoon of protest, with the Addicks due to take on Middlesbrough in front of the Sky Sports cameras at 3.30pm.

A CARD spokesman said: “This is not just about the team’s prospects, although they look very grim. It is a measure of the damage being done to Charlton by Duchatelet and Meire, which is unlikely to end with relegation.

“They are destroying decades of work to build up our club in the name of a soulless experiment conducted by remote control from Belgium. This is not the Charlton Athletic that has been a vital part of so many people’s lives for decades.

“Football and the media are laughing at Duchatelet and Meire, but the joke’s on us. We will not allow them to continue to run our club into the ground.

“We are asking the many disillusioned and angry fans who have been staying away to come back on Sunday and turn the afternoon into the biggest protest Charlton has ever seen, including when the old board took the club to Selhurst Park in 1985.

“In our view, the threat to Charlton’s future this time is just as real, and we will not let it carry on.

We are also encouraging fans to walk out of the stadium on 74 minutes - the number of goals conceded so far this season - and reassemble in the west stand car park.

“The intention then is to protest outside the ground while the match is still going on, and if the club locks the main gates we plan to assemble either side of them.”

As with previous matches CARD is keeping significant further plans for the day up its sleeve, but it is asking fans to wear black and while and bring thousands of balloons of the same colour, continuing the funeral theme by staging a wake, as well as banners.

The spokesman added: “It’s important to keep the messages simple and clean in order to retain the moral high ground and avoid things that will divide supporters rather than unite them.

“We do not condone or encourage breaking the law. We have also been asked by the police to make clear that they will arrest anyone who brings flares. We want people to protest loudly, visibly and effectively, but safely.”

The funeral procession will leave the Charlton Liberal Club in Charlton Church Lane at 2.45pm, but to avoid congestion fans are asked to line Floyd Road from the junction with Charlton Church Lane and as far as the Valley Superstore from 2.30pm.

Fans can then follow the coffin as it makes its way to The Valley.

CARD is also asking for volunteers to help with other pre-match activity. Extra numbers are needed for this game due to the number of different things happening, so fans are requested to make a special effort to assist if they can. Anyone able to assist should email charlton.card@yahoo.co.uk

Comments

• Will the walk-out time move as the inevitable goals fly past us?

It has been discussed but we think we'll stick on 74.
  • Great Job CARD!

Cant wait for the other groups to announce there own protests - and also the secret ones!

MAYHEM AT THE VALLEY!

• A CARD spokesman said: “This is not just about the team’s prospects, although they look very grim. It is a measure of the damage being done to Charlton by Duchatelet and Meire, which is unlikely to end with relegation.

A small faux pax!

Like the ideas.
  • Brilliant idea. Really wish I could be around to help, but am right out of things after my breaking my ankle. Looking forward to following from afar - good luck.
  • Great work those involved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Be interested to see how many people actually walk out...
  • I knew by Christmas i would not be able to attend this game (whether Sat or Sun) I'm actually gutted I can't be part of the protest.
    Well done CARD.
  • Can't wait. Sunday is going to be our big day.
  • Leeds did this last week didn't they?
  • Leeds did this last week didn't they?

Yep, although it was planned before they did it.
  • edited March 2016

Leeds did this last week didn't they?

Yep, and Newcastle, Hereford, Coventry, Blaclpool and a host of others have also done so over the years.

• Wasn't a dig btw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fair play for the ideas/effort as always but I've always thought a walk-out would go largely unrecognised due to the small crowd and sparseness of those taking part (because we know it won't be everyone). However if it's the only viable option I think first half would have been better for numerous reasons, which could dilute the affect come the 74th min.

I'll be there and hope it works.
  • Some more ideas-

- everyone should arrive naked
    - everyone should take their shoes off and throw it on the pitch
    - cheer for Middlesborough like you mean it
    - fill the whole stadium but then don’t say a word
    - everyone should pretend to be on the phone and just shout SELL SELL SELL
    - count down till the game has ended (including seconds)
    - play Chinese whispers around the whole stadium
  • Oh and
    What about turning your back to the game for the entire second half?
    Everyone blows a whistle and waves a redcard towards the director’s box for 23 minutes?
    Giant white flags dropped from a plane at half time?

and my favourite... everyone signs a petition to turn the league table upside down
  • edited March 2016

Wasn't a dig btw.

I know mate, though others have / will. There is only a limited pool of viable, non-arrestable protests you can arrange, and trying to think of things unique, will work in having an impact, and not get panned before being given a chance is incredibly. It's natural there will be some repetition

Tyke mole in CARD?
  • If they close the gates I suggest a sit down. Harder to get us to move on.
  • edited March 2016
    CatAddick said:

Wasn't a dig btw.

I know mate, though others have / will. There is only a limited pool of viable, non-arrestable protests you can arrange, and trying to think of things unique, will work in having an impact, and not get panned before being given a chance is incredibly. It's natural there will be some repetition.

Twice now Leeds have managed to run with things that were on Card's agenda just before they were planned to happen / being scoped, though good luck to them.

Tyke mole in CARD?