Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Maria Sharapova Fails Drug Test

At the Australian Open. Not contesting the result, apologising now to the worlds media.
Tennis getting some bad press at the moment.

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Been taking a drug from her doctor for 10 years against diabetes and other sicknesses, which is a family illness, the drug is now banned from January 1st 2016, under another name, she did not read an information form she was sent, so pleading guilty
  • Ouch. So that was the major announcement.

Rumours that she was going to retire following a succession of injuries but that's a terrible look... especially for a Russian athlete.
  • Why is she saying she's let the game down then?
  • edited March 2016
    If it's as she says & it probably is. I feel sorry for her. Surely one of her "advisors" should have been monitoring these sort of things ?

http://bytheminsport.com/events/951

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meldonium
  • Riviera said:

Why is she saying she's let the game down then?

Bad image/publicity presumably.
  • What a complete non-story! It was broken on BBC 5Live as if she'd taken every drug under the sun but they have just now played the statement and it is as someone mentioned earlier. Unless she's lying of course......
  • Is there drug testing in tennis now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Tennis players are allowed a whole load more substances than many other stars in other sports due to them having to perform for up to four or five hours in extreme temperatures.
  • Ouch. So that was the major announcement.

Rumours that she was going to retire following a succession of injuries but that's a terrible look... especially for a Russian athlete.

She's lived in America for 20 odd years, so she's got no connection with the Russian authorities.
  • Mind you, it's hardly helped her has it? She melts as soon as she sees Serena.
  • Riviera said:

Mind you, it's hardly helped her has it? She melts as soon as she sees Serena.

I know a bloke at work who does that...we all think he has to be on drugs!!!
  • I am delighted that her awful scream will no longer be heard on radio or TV. HURRAY,
  • ross1 said:

Been taking a drug from her doctor for 10 years against diabetes and other sicknesses, which is a family illness, the drug is now banned from January 1st 2016, under another name, she did not read an information form she was sent, so pleading guilty

Not sure why you'd take Angina medication for diabetes.

However, nice cover for the increased blood flow and cardio benefits it gifts her.
  • I am delighted that her awful scream will no longer be heard on radio or TV. HURRAY,

Well if she screams like that during a match, imagine what she's like in bed!!

Sorry @Leuth
  • Sponsored links:

• she must have known that she was breaking the rules, after all I guess she has a team of advisors and managers and you can't tell me one of them doesn't keep an eye on new banned substances, give her a 5 year ban, but I guess she'll get the minimum.
  • She didnt even win the competition though... She wants to go back to the manufacturer as she's been sold some crap

• Well if she screams like that during a match, imagine what she's like in bed!!

Not all that great to be honest but I don't normally talk about my exs on public fora.

• Seriously though, I don't have an awful lot of sympathy. This smacks of a staged coming clean before the imminent sh1t hits the fan. These megastars are surrounded by a coterie of experts. They barely have to wipe their own arses. I just don't buy the "oops I'm so stupid" routine. I really don't. Tennis is beginning to feel like athletics.

And thank f... We won't hear that grunting for a while.
  • Leuth said:

We're getting 5 or 6 posts in at least nowadays. Baby steps

Genuine Lol. Very dry.
  • Not buying that for one minute.

Also think she's just opened a can of worms and tennis will now become the latest sport to be embroiled in doping scandal.
  • Doctor on this morning earlier, said that he can't understand why a sporrts person would use that particular drug for anything other than cheating... and even he admitted the benefit would be so marginal it'd be pointless to risk it all.
  • Not buying that for one minute.

Also think she's just opened a can of worms and tennis will now become the latest sport to be embroiled in doping scandal.

I've got my suspicions about Nadal's conveniently timed knee injuries and incredible recoveries, for one.
    i think a LOT of people feel the same mate
  • I feel that as a penance, she should be made to spend a night with me.