Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• What's the obsession with this team on here?
  • Good piece - enjoyed reading that.
  • JaShea99 said:

What's the obsession with this team on here?

Move on.

• ahahahahahahahaha

gonna repost my counterblast again coz why not

http://seasonsinnonleague.wordpress.com/2014/09/21/down-in-dulwich-or-sous-le-terrain-le-controleur-de-larbitre-magnetique/

that independent article is almost as hilarious as the pictures :''''D
  • Also had a few Charlton players in their ranks...Alan Pardew, Peter Garland and Chris Dickson.

Well worth a visit because it's so different. When I first went there in the early 90's the crowds were about 125....now they are anywhere between 450 and 1000. They are turning out some very promising young players on a tiny budget and their manager, Gavin Rose, insists on a very expansive style.
  • The only thing different is the openly left wing support they attract.

Thought you were a left footer?

Have they only got three Stands then?
  • Riscardo said:

The only thing different is the openly left wing support they attract.

Thought you were a left footer?
    Hahaha!
  • Sponsored links:

• JaShea99 said:

What's the obsession with this team on here?

they're a great club with bags of history and on the doorstep of a lot of addicks. Also back in the days of hooliganism and the like it was a lot safer to go to the hamlet than charlton. You could also make the case that if they chose to go professional back in the 20s there would be no palace or charlton, being geographically between both of the clubs. Go to one of their games home or away and you'll be blown away by the support. Including a 10 minute rendition of "Gavin Rose's pink and blue army!" in the final 10 mins of the game.

did i mention they wear pink?
    Yeah I know all about them, my mate used to play for them. I just didn't know what the Charltonlife connection was. Guess you've kind of explained it though.
  • I like the Hamlet, enjoy it whenever I go and it's so refreshing to watch football like that nowadays. But something about their fanbase winds me up. I don't understand why the gentrified hipster youth think they are fighting fascism in East Dulwich, just don't get it
  • Was up at a conference in Manchester Met today & Dulwich Hamlet seem to have a bit of a cult status up there for the whole left wing story. Must check them out some time. Never really heard that much about them until recently to be honest.

• Really interesting interview with Peter Garland on www.forwardthehamlet.com. Well worth the listen. (Link is the best I can do, I'm afraid.)
  • TBH, reading between the lines , do they play their home games when Spanners are away by any chance?

No thanks.
  • TBH, reading between the lines , do they play their home games when Spanners are away by any chance?

No thanks.

TBH, reading between the lines , do they play their home games when Spanners are away by any chance?

No thanks.

Hamlet are not a Millwall off shoot, more Palace than any other league club but a very strong core Hamlet first club, its a great lit.tle club. Millwall are / were more Fisher. Down at Champion Hill you will get a good smatering of Charlton and although I have necer bumped intro them the threads on here show quite a few lifers.
  • Is anyone going to the match against FC Asyria tonight ? Great opportunity to raise money for Syrian refugees in Calais, but of a shame that Hamlet have banned taking alcohol into the ground from now on, used to quite enjoy taking a couple of cans of interesting beer in with me to enjoy during the first half.
  • edited March 2016
    se9addick said:

Is anyone going to the match against FC Asyria tonight ? Great opportunity to raise money for Syrian refugees in Calais, but of a shame that Hamlet have banned taking alcohol into the ground from now on, used to quite enjoy taking a couple of cans of interesting beer in with me to enjoy during the first half.

I shouldn't bother going - it's been called off due to a waterlogged pitch. They're going to try again next Wednesday 9th March. Re the alcohol thing - I'm surprised it has taken this long to impose a ban. People taking the p*ss bringing in slabs of Stella, bottles of wine and cider etc., when there's a perfectly good bar upstairs. Came to a head when one of the volunteers who clear up the detritus left behind cut her hand open on some glass that had been left behind.
  • Sounds like its right up goonerhater's street. He'd fit in well there. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Tom_Hovi said:

se9addick said:

Is anyone going to the match against FC Asyria tonight ? Great opportunity to raise money for Syrian refugees in Calais, but of a shame that Hamlet have banned taking alcohol into the ground from now on, used to quite enjoy taking a couple of cans of interesting beer in with me to enjoy during the first half.

I shouldn't bother going - it's been called off due to a waterlogged pitch. They're going to try again next Wednesday 9th March. Re the alcohol thing - I'm surprised it has taken this long to impose a ban. People taking the p*ss bringing in slabs of Stella, bottles of wine and cider etc., when there's a perfectly good bar upstairs. Came to a head when one of the volunteers who clear up the detritus left behind cut her hand open on some glass that had been left behind.
    People were taking the piss and it is a perfectly good bar but the massive increase in attendances mean its pretty much impossible to get served after 2 p.m. unless you want to miss a chunk of the game.

• A club that is mainly followed by lefties and self-proclaimed hipsters?
    No thanks.

• Jints said:

Tom_Hovi said:

se9addick said:

People were taking the piss and it is a perfectly good bar but the massive increase in attendances mean its pretty much impossible to get served after 2 p.m. unless you want to miss a chunk of the game.

I take your point but if people can't go 90 minutes without a drink, then they have a serious problem. In any case, the club is trying to get an outside bar up and running. It's a bit half-assed at the moment because of a local nimby objecting, meaning that they have to use a token system but they are trying. By the way @Jarman, I'm neither a leftie, or a hipster but I enjoy the atmosphere there and funnily enough, I go because of the football rather than the political leanings of some of the crowd.
  • Tom_Hovi said:

Jints said:

Tom_Hovi said:

se9addick said:

I take your point but if people can't go 90 minutes without a drink, then they have a serious problem. In any case, the club is trying to get an outside bar up and running. It's a bit half-assed at the moment because of a local nimby objecting, meaning that they have to use a token system but they are trying. By the way @Jarman, I'm neither a leftie, or a hipster but I enjoy the atmosphere there and funnily enough, I go because of the football rather than the political leanings of some of the crowd.
    Sorry Tom, I have to admit I was on a wind-up there.
    No offence & it's good to see lower league football in London making strides forward.
  • Nice little club, good support, easy to get to for me, decent selection of beers too (if you're early you can get a pint of locally brewed ale but they sell out fast). Went there a few times this season and went to the preseason when Charlton were down there, will probably go far more often next season though. KM and RD are the best advertisement for going to non-league football ever.
  • Nice little club, good support, easy to get to for me, decent selection of beers too (if you're early you can get a pint of locally brewed ale but they sell out fast). Went there a few times this season and went to the preseason when Charlton were down there, will probably go far more often next season though. KM and RD are the best advertisement for going to non-league football ever.

Fair point. i'd guess a few of our local clubs can expect increased attendances next season if Roly and his puppet are still in charge of us
  • Jarman said:

Tom_Hovi said:

Jints said:

Tom_Hovi said:

se9addick said:

Sorry Tom, I have to admit I was on a wind-up there.
    No offence & it's good to see lower league football in London making strides forward.
    No, I wasn't suggesting you were having a dig. I was just pointing out that although we do have a fair number of lefties etc. at Hamlet, it is actually good fun there with some very nice people who come along, including a fair number of us disaffected Addicks fans.
  • Nice selection of cereals in the cereal kiosk.
  • Went the other week when they played Guisley.

Fair play to the success they are having, but it was not my cup of tea.

Don't really know why, as they were all a friendly enough bunch.