Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holiday to Turkey

I'm currently looking at a holiday to Antalya, Turkey, in June through Thomson. The hotel looks amazing and it's a very reasonable price. I'm just a bit wary of travelling to Turkey. Has anyone on here been to Antalya relatively recently? Is it safe?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance

Comments

• I was talking to a few travel agents before Christmas about Turkey. They all said it was dead after the terror attacks and everyone from the UK is flying to traditional European destinations. The prices in Sardinia where I was looking were insane.
  • Never been - but from what I hear, along with the shorts and flip flops, pack a bumper pack of immodium.
  • edited February 2016
    Personally I wouldn't go to Turkey at the moment. Definitely a risk of terrorist attacks but the same can be said of anywhere in Europe at the moment. I read somewhere that 400k Brits have cancelled holidays to Turkey for this year.

Croatia is definitely worth a look. Beautiful country and islands, hot weather and great food. Still plenty of great options in Greece too although more pricey than Turkey.

Enjoy your hols wherever you decide to go.
  • Went to Olu Deniz a few years ago. Lovely place, but the people are the rudest I've ever met. I'd never in a million years consider Turkey as a holiday destination again - not even if you paid me.

Would definitely avoid if it were me - so many other places to go to.
  • Same as you. Saw some good deals but was wary of Turkey in light of Egypt and Tunisian attacks. Another thing that put us off with two littluns was flight times were late and most of the places were a two hour plus transfer time.

The sensatori resort is very cheap at moment compared to usual prices.
  • We've got 2 holidays booked there this year. Booked our summer holiday in Antalya over a year ago and the father in law is taking us to Belek in October. As E-card said, probably just as much at risk anywhere in Europe but is a concern.
  • Belek last year and loved it
    Lovely hotel.Great for the kids and you get so much for your money.
    We felt entirely safe for the whole holiday.

Can see why some may give it a swerve though.
  • I'm currently looking at a holiday to Antalya, Turkey, in June through Thomson. The hotel looks amazing and it's a very reasonable price. I'm just a bit wary of travelling to Turkey. Has anyone on here been to Antalya relatively recently? Is it safe?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance

Get a lot of mosquitos there
  • Depends what your risk appetite is like? Have a look at the FCO's latest travel advice here:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey
  • We went to Lara beach, Antalya in October, it was fantastic, didn't feel at risk at any point. The hotels/resorts were stricked on security which includes private beech areas.

Hope you choose well and have a great time.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016

We went to Lara beach, Antalya in October, it was fantastic, didn't feel at risk at any point. The hotels/resorts were stricked on security which includes private beech areas.

Nice to see you got your own trees.

Seriously, I don't think people armed with AK47s are that bothered about a sign saying 'PRIVATE BEACH'. As to whether there are likely to be nutjobs toting automatic firepower, that's something you have to decide for yourself, having taken a gander the the FCO's advice.
  • We went to Lara beach, Antalya in October, it was fantastic, didn't feel at risk at any point. The hotels/resorts were stricked on security which includes private beech areas.

Nice to see you got you own trees.

Seriously, I don't think people armed with AK47s are that bothered about a sign saying 'PRIVATE BEACH'. As to whether there are likely to be nutjobs toting automatic firepower, that's something you have to decide for yourself, having taken a gander the the FCO's advice.
    This can happen anywhere, all I'm saying is that there is security which includes the beech. I have just answered the question asked in the original post: has anyone been to Antalya recently? Yes, was it safe? I felt safe.

CA will make their own assessment of the FCO advice.
  • Unless you are going for a specific reason, for example to visit Ephesus which is awesome, why bother?
    A beach is a beach is a beach and there are nicer much closer ones.
  • MrOneLung said:

Same as you. Saw some good deals but was wary of Turkey in light of Egypt and Tunisian attacks. Another thing that put us off with two littluns was flight times were late and most of the places were a two hour plus transfer time.

The sensatori resort is very cheap at moment compared to usual prices.

Yeah the Sensatori resort is the 1 I'm looking at. It's literally half it's usual price and looks amazing
  • We ended up booking to Menorca last week but was tempted by sensatori. Just nagging doubt about turkey and late flight times out us off with three and five year olds.

Kind of regret not going for it now.
  • I went to olu deniz in Turkey last year and loved it. The people were great as was the location. I wouldn't hesitate in going back.
  • Terrorist attacks can happen anywhere yes. But going to places like Turkey, Egypt ect you raise your chances of being involved in one. If going on holiday and seeing armed security guards is your idea of fun and helps you relax then er, enjoy I guess..
  • We've been a few times, the last being about 14 months ago and will be going again this year, we stay at a place called Xanadu and only leave the hotel to go back to the airport on the way home.
  • If you really want get mugged off numerous times in a couple of minutes seek this guy out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzIW3D-5jdQ

Nice to see you got you own trees.

This can happen anywhere, all I'm saying is that there is security which includes the beech. I have just answered the question asked in the original post: has anyone been to Antalya recently? Yes, was it safe? I felt safe.

CA will make their own assessment of the FCO advice.
    Things can happen anywhere but there's a far more elevated risk in Turkey right now. They border Syria, have turned a blind eye to ISIS fighters crossing the border, have seen a fair few bombings recently and have started to launch a military campaign against a minority in their own borders, and some fighters have bombed public areas in return. Oh, and they are waving refugees through to Greece for cash.

I wouldn't risk it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I flew into Dalaman and stayed in Challis Beach near Fetiye last year. Very peaceful and maybe a little boring. Bit like Cornwall only hotter. Most of the local population is actually English anyway.

Felt very much safer than I ever do in London. ( But Turkey is a VERY big country!)

The main complaint was the wi-fi in our apartment was a bit erratic. It's amazing how much you miss it when it's not there!

Ignore the embarrassing comment by Lincsaddick.

• We've been a few times, the last being about 14 months ago and will be going again this year, we stay at a place called Xanadu and only leave the hotel to go back to the airport on the way home.

What is the point of that? Going to a foreign country and only leaving the hotel to go back to the airport when flying home. Sorry, but you may as well go to the closest/cheapest place in the sun coz you may as well be anywhere.

Personal view but I really can't see the point of going abroad and staying in the hotel/on the beach/by the pool all the time without getting out and getting some local culture.
  • Maybe they are going for guaranteed sun, a nice beach , hotel and resort experience rather than for the culture.
  • I've been Turkey a few times and done plenty outside of the hotels but now we have a young family we go all inclusive, guaranteed sun, private beach, decent kids club/activities and we actually spend the time together
  • edited February 2016
    Each to their own but I have never understood the British attraction to going on holiday to places where you get the shits if you so much as sniff the water.

Hence why it's the US, Carribean, Bahamas for me. Same sunshine, more to do, and no burning arsehole after a week of pissing out your bum.

Egypt is the same. Why?

• Going to Antalya in may, 6th time in the last 7 Years, can't fault it or any of the hotels I've been to. What hotel are you looking at?
  • edited February 2016

Going to Antalya in may, 6th time in the last 7 Years, can't fault it or any of the hotels I've been to. What hotel are you looking at?

It's good to know that someone's been and keeps going back. That really helps. I hear all the stories on the news and it is off putting, so it's good to hear from somebody who's been there.

We are looking at The sensatori resort in the side area of Antalya

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1192102-d4294078-Reviews-Barut_Sorgun_Sensatori-Sorgun_Turkish_Mediterranean_Coast.html#travelerReviews
  • Each to their own but I have never understood the British attraction to going on holiday to places where you get the shits if you so much as sniff the water.

Hence why it's the US, Carribean, Bahamas for me. Same sunshine, more to do, and no burning arsehole after a week of pissing out your bum.

Egypt is the same. Why?

Finances may enter the equation.