Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Season Ticket Pledge

Could CARD invite people to join a register of supporters who refuse to buy a season ticket under the current regime but pledge to but one as soon as an acceptable takeover is completed? I'd sign. Anyone else?

Comments

• Scared me there...

In Ireland, the "Pledge" is a commitment by Catholics to never drink alcohol (joining the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association), and I have a sneaking suspicion that alcohol is the only thing fans can rely on this season.

My nan took the pledge and wouldn't go out without her badge.
  • Scared me there...

In Ireland, the "Pledge" is a commitment by Catholics to never drink alcohol (joining the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association), and I have a sneaking suspicion that alcohol is the only thing fans can rely on this season.

My nan took the pledge and wouldn't go out without her badge.
    Bet she had a gold one....
  • do we all have to stand up and say it at meetings?

i promise, to do my duty to god and to the queen
    to help other addicks
    to abstain from buying tickets
    and to keep the C.A.R.D law

to help other addicks

And I'll dib dib dib I'll dob dob dob

to help other addicks

And I'll dib dib dib I'll dob dob dob
    Keep that sort of stuff to yourself...

Some of us are eating (all the time).
  • edited February 2016
    A Season Ticket Trust fund, in the mould of what was mooted at Rangers, could be a real potential next step.

Here's the statement from Dave King (who is now in charge) at the time:

"I have hitherto urged restraint in dealing with the board, however due to this extreme act of bad faith I believe that it is vital that fans now withhold season ticket money from this board and similarly refuse to support the club by way of the purchase of replica kit or any other retail product."

The South Africa-based ex-patriot businessman added: "An announcement will shortly be made providing details of a bank account that season ticket money can be paid into as an interim measure. The specific terms and conditions of this account will be made available to fans, including the basis on which funds will be advanced to the club and the basis on which funds will be returned to fans. As a minimum, the board must provide the club property as security against the season ticket money.

"I recognise that fans will have anxiety about 'betraying' the club and the risk of loss of a cherished seat at Ibrox. However, the time has come when the trade-off is a potential loss of a seat against the loss of the club. That would be the real betrayal. This board has lost its right to be dealt with on a good faith basis."
  • I believe this is in the pipeline. I maybe wrong though.
  • Bumped as I've retitled the thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone any idea when we'll have news on this?
  • Scared me there...

I've been entirely sober at only one game this season.

fucking never again.

• edited March 2016
    Rob62 said:

A Season Ticket Trust fund, in the mould of what was mooted at Rangers, could be a real potential next step.

Here's the statement from Dave King (who is now in charge) at the time:

"I have hitherto urged restraint in dealing with the board, however due to this extreme act of bad faith I believe that it is vital that fans now withhold season ticket money from this board and similarly refuse to support the club by way of the purchase of replica kit or any other retail product."

The South Africa-based ex-patriot businessman added: "An announcement will shortly be made providing details of a bank account that season ticket money can be paid into as an interim measure. The specific terms and conditions of this account will be made available to fans, including the basis on which funds will be advanced to the club and the basis on which funds will be returned to fans. As a minimum, the board must provide the club property as security against the season ticket money.

"I recognise that fans will have anxiety about 'betraying' the club and the risk of loss of a cherished seat at Ibrox. However, the time has come when the trade-off is a potential loss of a seat against the loss of the club. That would be the real betrayal. This board has lost its right to be dealt with on a good faith basis."

So many laws, so little expert legal advice.

Setting aside that the statement surely should have said expatriate rather than ex-patriot (quite amusing that one!), there are just so many legal pitfalls that would need competent legal input just to be on the safe side. Who pays for that advice?

For example is what is proposed really a trust at all? Is paying away the money on someone else's behalf the same as returning it to the individual and therefore in breach of the Financial Services and Markets Act and it's various statutory instruments. Or is it on-lending? What happens to any interest earned while the funds are being held? Etc, etc, etc.

That's got the esoteric stuff out of the way.

On a more humdrum level - what is the point?

People, in the main (those who love their bookmakers look away now), are more than capable of looking after their own money. So why give it to someone else to look after on their behalf? Second, some (I don't know what percentage) don't use their own funds to buy a season ticket but either the club's scheme or a credit card. Presumably, they would not be in a position to participate any way?
  • I'll just give him my bank details, that would be easier.
  • I'll just give him my bank details, that would be easier.

Indeed. Is Dave King really Dave King? Is he actually in South Africa or is it really Nigeria?
  • Time to reconsider this idea from 2 yrs ago? CARD or CAST to keep a list of people pledging not to buy STs under RD, but to do so as soon as an acceptable takeover is completed. Pressure on RD to sell, and reassurance for potential purchasers.
  • Scared me there...

Scared you???, it scared me more, I thought they were going suggest we help with the polishing around the house