Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Meat, glorious meat!

edited April 2008 in Not Sports Related
I had a really nice Deer Curry last night - our neighbours had shot a White Tailed Deer out in the bush & after they had butchered it - served it up in a Rogan Josh style sauce. Lovely.

I also get through my fair share of elk & buffalo/bison - common meats over here.

Nothing special about that - except I was a 100% vegetarian for 10 years until about '97 - now I have swung the other way & probably eat too much red meat - and apart from probably Prairie Oysters would not turn my nose up at any part of the animal!

Anyone else on here a veggie - who has seen the light?

Comments

• Yep mate - was a vegetarian between the ages of 10 and 18 (not my parents doing) but ended up in Ukraine for a while and turned back to the dark side - Can't get enough of it now - It's hard not to over here though. The in-laws live in Montana and so Wild Elk/Bison/Deer etc is often on the menu.
  • Never been a veggie - Got thrown out of an Indian eat as much as you like Veggie restaurant the other week for asking where the Chicken Vindaloo was (ok - i'd just paid)

Kangaroo - interesting meat with an "interesting" flavour - reminded me of the barnyard
  • I am a Food Scientist by qualification & saw too much of what went on in the late 80's - put me right off!! Things are much better now I think, as long as you are sensible in what you buy...
  • rare steak and red wine, perfect combo, here here, meat glorius meat
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I am a Food Scientist by qualification & saw too much of what went on in the late 80's - put me right off!! Things are much better now I think, as long as you are sensible in what you buy...

Agree mate - I'd say don't watch fast food nation if you're still buying meat that is a product of pure intensive farming
  • Andy Reid loves a meat pie.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Andy Reid loves a meat pie.

or 10
  • [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I am a Food Scientist by qualification & saw too much of what went on in the late 80's - put me right off!! Things are much better now I think, as long as you are sensible in what you buy...

Agree mate - I'd say don't watch fast food nation if you're still buying meat that is a product of pure intensive farming

I remember one day at college they told us we were going to make Chicken Kiev - and then handed us each a still warm, dead chicken - feathers, beak & all. Great fun!

ps - was In Vancouver last week on a quick raid - ate at Guu & Stellas - you have such brilliant dining options over there!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]

I remember one day at college they told us we were going to make Chicken Kiev - and then handed us each a still warm, dead chicken - feathers, beak & all. Great fun!

ps - was In Vancouver last week on a quick raid - ate at Guu & Stellas - you have such brilliant dining options over there!

I know them both mate - I live pretty close to Stellas on the drive.

Btw That Whitecaps Toronto game is a mid week affair so I think you should try and coincide a "business trip" at the same time.
  • Do you know what date it is? Didn't realise Tony Caig is now playing in the MLS - thought he was still a Whitecap
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Do you know what date it is? Didn't realise Tony Caig is now playing in the MLS - thought he was still a Whitecap

Wednesday July 9th @ 7pm.

The tony caig thing was very dodgy - he left the whitecaps in the lurch last season saying he wanted to be back in the UK for family reasons - went to gretna and now he's back in the US.
  • VA and Oakster

Only been to Canada once (Toronto area). Thought the food was really dull to be honest. Particularly cheese. Was I unlucky?

I would swap Radio Kent hear in leafy Sevenoaks for your Elk,Bison and Buffalo. I suppose I could nick some deer from Knole Park (local National Trust property).
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]VA and Oakster

Only been to Canada once (Toronto area). Thought the food was really dull to be honest. Particularly cheese. Was I unlucky?

I'd say so mate - Toronto is the big city here so like any big city you can get caught buying average food but I haven't been out east that much so can't comment with any real authority. Here in Vancouver the eating out options are endless and generally very very good value for money for what you get. Sushi for example is probably at least 50% of what it costs in London and is everywhere.
  • Apart from the lack of UK footy is there any downside to Vancouver and the West Coast. It sounds a perfect place!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Apart from the lack of UK footy is there any downside to Vancouver and the West Coast. It sounds a perfect place!!

I miss proper pubs to be honest. Other than that Canadians can be a bit too nice and lassiez faire for my liking but then I think I'm being really picky there. If you like the outdoors and good food then Vancouver is a great place.
  • Calgary has a great food scene too - only downside is the climate meaning that a lot of produce is imported from Mexico in the winter months. On the plus side Alberta beef is arguably the best in the world.

If I had to choose a city to live in Vancouver would be the one for me, it is an absolutely amazing place - the only things that would get me down was the rain in the winter & the traffic - but I could put up with those for the scenery, the summer & the food!

Calgary is going through a huge boom due to oil & gas - but it is a little culturally sterile for my tastes, thats why i live 100km to the west in the Rockies.
  • If you read some of the other posts we are missing a few proper pubs too.

Almost all the country pubs around here are now really restaurants that happen to also serve beer (and sometimes not good beer at that).

Thankfully there are one or two old style pubs (cheese roll is the most food you can get) but they are certainly in decline.
  • In Australia I made a kangaroo Vindaloo. :-)

n273101826_446718_7768.jpg

Also eaten Crocodile, Rabbit, Wild Bore and would of eaten a Koala if it wasn't endangered.
  • That looks like one of Medders/Dicko's photos