Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eziquiel Lavezzi

His Chelsea deal has fallen through.

He is now moving to China to play his football where he is due to earn a staggering £400k a week.

Absolute madness.

Comments

• Perhaps we need some Chinese owners - they seem to be slinging cash at the sport with no regard for anything.
  • I've never even heard of him!
  • edited February 2016
    Uboat said:

I've never even heard of him!

He's a bit like Simon Church......actually he's nothing like Simon Church....
  • People say that China and America will always be Leagues that are retirement homes for players yet every league has to start from somewhere (the Football League did), if more and more players go to China, when does it stop becoming a joke for money and when does it become a serious threat to the top European Leagues?

Australia / the United States are two very young Nations but many people still prefer to holiday there than Europe
  • His Chelsea deal has fallen through.

He is now moving to China to play his football where he is due to earn a staggering £400k a week.

Absolute madness.

Good old communism, eh?
  • People say that China and America will always be Leagues that are retirement homes for players yet every league has to start from somewhere (the Football League did), if more and more players go to China, when does it stop becoming a joke for money and when does it become a serious threat to the top European Leagues?

Australia / the United States are two very young Nations but many people still prefer to holiday there than Europe

Agree about America and China certainly started like that, whilst Australia have done similar with players like Del Piero. However, in the recent window, Chinese clubs didn't just sign players looking for one last pay day. They were signing some quality players for enormous fees. No doubt many of these players went for a pay day but I am in agreement that if it continues it is certainly going to be a big improving league. Will certainly pass leagues like the Russian and Portuguese top divisions and won't be long before its good as Ligue 1, minus PSG.
  • I don't know the attendances for the Chinese Super League so cant comment but America have definitely gone about things the right way it seems

i.e. They'e not built huge Stadiums for every team and in a country which hasn't embraced Football, they've helped raise attendances (which has to be done first) by bringing in some class Footballers (Del Piero / Villa / Beckham) despite their age as people will see the talent on show (rather than just Conference level players).

Hell just look at the Italian (Cant recall his name) playing for Toronto who has been recalled to the National Team.

Eventually those fans will want to see the big names signed when they're at the top of their game (might be difficult because of the caps that they've got out there) but when they sign one player, that damn could be broken and the MLS could become a huge league

So what if they're actual franchises which can move cities... It works for them and the other Sports out there... I love the way their draft works (especially with Youngsters) and would like to see something integrated here like that.
  • Who? That's a disease isn't it?
  • Who? That's a disease isn't it?

• Thanks. Still never heard of him though.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought it was going to be a thread about coffee
  • edited February 2016
    I'd be the teams football for that wage a week
  • I don't know the attendances for the Chinese Super League so cant comment but America have definitely gone about things the right way it seems

i.e. They'e not built huge Stadiums for every team and in a country which hasn't embraced Football, they've helped raise attendances (which has to be done first) by bringing in some class Footballers (Del Piero / Villa / Beckham) despite their age as people will see the talent on show (rather than just Conference level players).

Hell just look at the Italian (Cant recall his name) playing for Toronto who has been recalled to the National Team.

Eventually those fans will want to see the big names signed when they're at the top of their game (might be difficult because of the caps that they've got out there) but when they sign one player, that damn could be broken and the MLS could become a huge league

So what if they're actual franchises which can move cities... It works for them and the other Sports out there... I love the way their draft works (especially with Youngsters) and would like to see something integrated here like that.

totally agree, doing it the right way and should see the MLS push on and become a decent league in a few years. No doubt the Chinese clubs are taking much more risks, but they could become a force with the financial power they seem to have.
  • Good to see if it all helps bring English football down a much needed peg or two. Fed up our top clubs having everything there way for so long.
  • Uboat said:

I've never even heard of him!

I though this was going to be about coffee percolators.
  • So far it does seem like it's mainly the South American and African players going to China, have any European players (at their peak) gone to China yet?
  • So far it does seem like it's mainly the South American and African players going to China, have any European players (at their peak) gone to China yet?

as far as I am aware, only a couple of decent Bosnians and Serbians have gone out there. Have attracted a couple of high profile managers though in Sven and Petrescu, the ex Chelsea defender who signed Ramires from them.
  • I keep expecting a high profile player to laugh off a massive money bid from a Chinese team but it hasn't happened yet. I didn't think Ramires would go from Chelsea but he was off like a shot once the bid came in, and the theme seems to be that the Chinese clubs can lure away decent players without too much trouble, like an anti-Bristol City.

It will be interesting to see what effect it has on our leagues. On the one hand it could be quite damaging to the game to see China building up a supply of excellent players in uncompetitive leagues just sitting on their paychecks, but on the other hand what they're mostly doing is stopping top teams from having really strong squads of talented foreigners. Ramires was a Chelsea squad player and he was happy to move for more money because he wasn't playing every week at Chelsea. To a (much) lesser extent Jelavic was delighted to head off to play and earn in China when he was West Ham's backup backup striker. Remy and Falcao are interesting Chinese teams and they will think the same way. The question is, will the fact there's an alternative for bit-part players now cause Premier League teams to bring through youth players more as it's harder to stock their squad with quality of the bench while the vultures are circling, or will it become a business in itself; teams feeling more confident bringing in a bunch of Remys - a decent player who will never be Chelsea's main striker - knowing that if he doesn't work out or gets frustrated they can not only sell him on to China but make a profit on him? It's hard to say at this point
  • Chinese football is coming across,to me anyway, as a load of rich boys trying to win for pride rather than the love of the game
  • The biggest struggle that'll happen with the Chinese Super League is that its very much like America...

Because it doesnt have the EU restrictions they've got the rule in place which states that they can only have four foreign based players along with one player from a separate AFC Nation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Chinese_Super_League#Foreign_players

As you can see though there are only a handful of Europeans most are either from South America or Africa so should we worry massively about China at the moment?
  • Sponsored links:

• Hope he likes the food.
  • Hope he likes the food.

He'll love it out there he's a Footballer... the amount of times they go diving or try to fish for the better deal!!

Sebastian Giovinco aka la formica atomica - the atomic ant

Great nickname.

Akpo Sodje.

RedPanda said:

So far it does seem like it's mainly the South American and African players going to China, have any European players (at their peak) gone to China yet?

Akpo Sodje.
    You misread the question... @KillerandFlash asked if any Europeans had gone out there at their peak.

Akpo Sodje has never hit his peak
  • edited February 2016

So far it does seem like it's mainly the South American and African players going to China, have any European players (at their peak) gone to China yet?

RedPanda said:

Akpo Sodje.
    You misread the question... @KillerandFlash asked if any Europeans had gone out there at their peak.

And he certainly wasn't European.

At least I don't think so. Thought he had played for Nigeria - it was his equally shit brother Sam that I was thinking of.

RedPanda said:

Akpo Sodje.

Not gonna lie... Getting a bit tired of you correcting me now!! ;)

RedPanda said:

Akpo Sodje.

Not gonna lie... Getting a bit tired of you correcting me now!! ;)
    Not intentional mate. I'll pick on somebody else now.
  • Born in Greenwich... Played for Gravesend / Erith / Charlton... Surely means he's English!?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akpo_Sodje
  • edited February 2016

Born in Greenwich... Played for Gravesend / Erith / Charlton... Surely means he's English!?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akpo_Sodje

Yeah, you're quite right. Was thinking of Sam (who represented Nigeria)