Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot

Watched the highlights of Everton and Newcastle last night. Rob Elliot was unbelievable. He kept the score down to 3-0 (2 pens and a deflected shot) It could have been 6 or 7. His saves were world class . I never rated him at Charlton but I guess he was young and still learning his trade. It is good to see another Charlton lad making it in the Premiership. I guess he will be competing with Hendo for the Ireland games in the summer.
He could be the difference between relegation and staying up for the Geordies!
Well done Rob.

Comments

• Matttees said:

Watched the highlights of Everton and Newcastle last night. Rob Elliot was unbelievable. He kept the score down to 3-0 (2 pens and a deflected shot) It could have been 6 or 7. His saves were world class . I never rated him at Charlton but I guess he was young and still learning his trade. It is good to see another Charlton lad making it in the Premiership. I guess he will be competing with Hendo for the Ireland games in the summer.
    He could be the difference between relegation and staying up for the Geordies!
    Well done Rob.

He played behind rubbish defenders for most of his time with us
  • Is Darren Randolph no longer part of the international squad?
  • Randolph is very much part of the Ireland squad.
  • Randolph is still technically ahead of Elliot in the Ireland squad as he was the Goalkeeper for the Euro Play-Offs against Bosnia
  • Randolph had a good game for West Ham against Liverpool in the FA cup, kept them in it.
  • Randolph, Elliott and Henderson, who goes to the Euros and who misses out? Forde and Westwood also in the mix, both number ones for Millw*nk and the MASSIVES respectively
  • On his day Robbie is a brilliant keeper - his performance away against Bournemouth for Charlton is one of the best I've seen.
  • On his day Robbie is a brilliant keeper - his performance away against Bournemouth for Charlton is one of the best I've seen.

His performance away to Bournemouth for Newcastle this season was incredible too.
    Must be something about the place.
  • sam3110 said:

Randolph, Elliott and Henderson, who goes to the Euros and who misses out? Forde and Westwood also in the mix, both number ones for Millw*nk and the MASSIVES respectively

Guess you could also include Shay Given who might go as the experienced Goalkeeper...
  • Think Elliot is now really putting pressure on O Neill to include him in the squad. Otherwise I think it would have been Westwood, Randolph and Forde (Not sure if he's being kept out the team). O Neill has said he won't be making the same mistake as Trappatoni and picking players on sentiment so I think that means Given should miss out considering he's not getting near the team at Stoke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember what Steve McClaren said when Krul got injured? 'It could cost them 20 points...' What a joke. Does that mean he thought they would have had say 33 points by now and in the top half of the table? I thought that comment was really unfair to Rob Elliot at the time and I'm glad Elliot has proved him absolutely wrong.

The Goalkeeper can only do so much... If the rest of the team just wave the opposition through on goal then what can they do about it?

Crazy comments from McClaren!!
  • One of us
  • edited February 2016

Remember what Steve McClaren said when Krul got injured? 'It could cost them 20 points...' What a joke. Does that mean he thought they would have had say 33 points by now and in the top half of the table? I thought that comment was really unfair to Rob Elliot at the time and I'm glad Elliot has proved him absolutely wrong.

The Goalkeeper can only do so much... If the rest of the team just wave the opposition through on goal then what can they do about it?

Crazy comments from McClaren!!
    I can see what McClaren means (even though I can't stand the bloke!).

Think about Saturday, would Pope have made those two spectacular saves that Hendo made? If not the scores at that point would have been levelled and who knows what would have happened from there, it could have meant dropping two points, three even if Rotherham had their tails up and went on to score again. Those lost points can rack up throughout a season.

It's also a fact that a good keeper gives confidence to the players in front of him. Whilst I think Rob is a good keeper, he never really had a proper run in the side so I'm sure his defenders would have been a little edgy about losing Krul at first. I do think it was very unfair of McClaren to make those comments though, very disrespectful to Elliot and the other reserve keepers. I'm also glad to see Rob proving him wrong.
  • Elliot has looked like a different man this season. (Literally).

He's lost a lot of weight, I'm not surprised he's so agile now.
  • Always rated him, now delighted for him.
  • Always a very good keeper, never understood why some could not see it. Glad he is proving himself in the PL now.
  • Always a very good keeper, never understood why some could not see it. Glad he is proving himself in the PL now.

He's improved a lot these last 2 seasons, but then he was pretty young when he was with us.

I never thought he was that special when he was with us, it's not as if all the big clubs were sniffing around him at the time
  • Saw Elliot make quite a few outstanding saves for us. Also saw him get beat by a fair few I felt he should have stopped, bit iffy on crosses too sometimes. Felt he was overated by some of out fans when he was with us but I've always been quite a harsh judge of goalkeepers. Was young though and seems to have stepped it up a bit at Newcastle. not seen enough of him since he let to tell you if I think he's improved enough for me to rate him.

Charlton fan and a good lad though so pleased he is doing well up there. Very tough for British goalkeepers to break through in the Prem these days unless they get promoted with their team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw Elliot make quite a few outstanding saves for us. Also saw him get beat by a fair few I felt he should have stopped, bit iffy on crosses too sometimes. Felt he was overated by some of out fans when he was with us but I've always been quite a harsh judge of goalkeepers. Was young though and seems to have stepped it up a bit at Newcastle. not seen enough of him since he let to tell you if I think he's improved enough for me to rate him.

Charlton fan and a good lad though so pleased he is doing well up there. Very tough for British goalkeepers to break through in the Prem these days unless they get promoted with their team.

Disagree about the last point, Hart, Butland and Forster are 3 excellent English keepers, none of them getting to the PL through promotion.

I always thought Randolph was more athletic than Elliot, happily Rob has worked hard on his game.
  • Robbie has been outstanding since he got his chance at Newcastle
  • Just made a quality save to stop Brighton going 2-0 up!!

(Dale Stephens got the assist for the opener)
  • Just made a quality save to stop Brighton going 2-0 up!!

(Dale Stephens got the assist for the opener)

He's my fantasy goalkeeper, very good value for money. Always trust a Rafa team to be good at the back.
  • With Robbie Elliot in goal at Newcastle and Nick Pope starting for Burnley, how many ex-Charlton players currently performing in the Prem?

Offhand, I can think of Gudmundssen also at Burnley, Dale Stephens at Brighton, plus Joe Gomez at Liverpool.
    All 5 played yesterday.

Anyone I've forgotten?

• Oggy Red said:

With Robbie Elliot in goal at Newcastle and Nick Pope starting for Burnley, how many ex-Charlton players currently performing in the Prem?

Offhand, I can think of Gudmundssen also at Burnley, Dale Stephens at Brighton, plus Joe Gomez at Liverpool.
    All 5 played yesterday.

Anyone I've forgotten?

Shelvey came on this afternoon. Still being rehabilitated after his daft red a few weeks ago.
  • edited September 2017
    Oggy Red said:

With Robbie Elliot in goal at Newcastle and Nick Pope starting for Burnley, how many ex-Charlton players currently performing in the Prem?

All 5 played yesterday.

Anyone I've forgotten?

Shelvey @ Newcastle... Coquelin @ Arsenal...
  • Kasey Palmer at Huddersfield

Carl Jenkinson is still at Arsenal

Defoe if you can count him