Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chinese players to be forced on second tier Portuguese clubs?

Report from the Portugal News Online:

"The Portuguese Second Division has secured sponsorship from Chinese company Ledman for next season in a deal where the total value is yet to be revealed.

However, the LED light manufacturer only agreed to the deal after Portuguese football authorities agreed that clubs would appoint at least three assistant managers who are Chinese, along with regularly including ten Chinese players in the starting line-ups of top teams.

The move has been criticised by the Portuguese players’ union, who argue players would not be selected on merit."

It does not appear to be a joke... and we think the FA is bad.

Comments

• "ten Chinese players in the starting line-ups of top teams"

I assume that's ten players across all teams rather than ten players per team ?

Either way I don't see how that would work - "it's your turn to pick a Chinese player this week" !
  • Surely EU employment laws would restrict the number of Chinese players coming in? I'm guessing that they won't be full internationals?
  • Halix said:

What kind of meglomaniac would try and impose a load of foreign players, coaches and management, on a team playing in a different countries league to the detriment of the indigenous population?, it would be ridiculous, they would try forcing furnishing items like sofas onto the supporters next.

What a risable suggestion... I cannot envisage such a thing happening elsewhere...
  • I thought about you when I read this Jessie. Always interesting to hear your thoughts on any subject, but particularly on football in your home country. Thanks for your contribution.
  • edited January 2016
    @JessieAddick If you get a visit from the secret police after your contributions to this thread, you know where to come to claim political asylum.
  • Sponsored links:

• @JessieAddick If you get a visit from the secret police after your contributions to this thread, you know where to come to claim political asylum.

Lol... thanks ;)
  • Imagine if a n English team in the next best league was forced to field a large number of Belgians.