Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2016 World Heavyweight Champions (AJ v Klitshko from Page 20)

In January 2016 we have the following World heavyweight champions

WBC - Deontay Wilder 36-0 (35 KO)
WBA - Tyson Fury 25-0 (18 KO)
WBO - Tyson Fury 25-0 (18 KO)
IBF - Charles Martin 23-0-1 (21 KO)

84 Wins - 0 Defeats - 1 Draw - 74 KOs

Anyone care to speculate what this list will look like in 12 months?

Comments

• I thought the other Klitschko brother had a title?
  • I thought the other Klitschko brother had a title?

No, Vitali retired a few years ago and went into politics - he relinquished his WBC title then.
  • AJ
    AJ
    AJ
    AJ

Wishful thinking! I think AJ will have at least one of them - and maybe Haye will have one. It will take until 2017 before there's any chance of a unified champion and that will likely be AJ.
  • Four unbeaten heavyweight champions, that must be a first? AJ's people should be falling over themselves to get Charles Martin over to the UK in the summer, easy fight for him. If Fury beats Klitschko again, which he should as Vlad looks a shot fighter, expect Fury V Wilder at the end of the year. David Haye will just play Charlie big spuds and knock out Dillon Whyte types for next 12 months and force a shot in 2017
  • I've seen quite a lot of negativity about AJ and don't quite get it. He's a promising boxer. Seems pretty respectful of his opponents. Not a complete tool like Fury.

Why are there people who want to see Haye weave AJ's face into the floor?
  • edited January 2016
    Swisdom said:

I've seen quite a lot of negativity about AJ and don't quite get it. He's a promising boxer. Seems pretty respectful of his opponents. Not a complete tool like Fury.

Why are there people who want to see Haye weave AJ's face into the floor?

I think its more aimed at Eddie Hearn and he is that the stage where jealously comes in.
  • Watched the Wilder fight at the weekend and wasn't overly impressed with him to be honest. Yeah he had a good punch but struggled against his opponents southpaw stance badly. He might have had an off night, I don't know?

AJ not quite ready yet IMHO but his time will come.
  • I think AJ has the potential to be undisputed champion but needs another 12-18 months to develop. However, if Hearn can get him a shot at Martin this year, take it by all means but just avoid the others until 2017. I'd fancy him against Haye tomorrow if he's learnt his lessons from the Whyte fight.
  • Sponsored links:

• AJ will not have any of the belts in 12 months.
  • Wilder is a bum. He doesn't want to fight anyone inside the top 10. Pulev would walk through him, as would Joshua, Fury and Haye.

You have to remember that America hasn't had a heavyweight belt for some years so Wilders opponents are being cherry picked from the top 50, so that the belt stays in America, knowing full well that they'll be walks in the park.

He's a busted flush that talks a good game until the going gets tough. As soon as he fights anyone respected then he's a goner.
  • Wilder is a bum. He doesn't want to fight anyone inside the top 10. Pulev would walk through him, as would Joshua, Fury and Haye.

You have to remember that America hasn't had a heavyweight belt for some years so Wilders opponents are being cherry picked from the top 50, so that the belt stays in America, knowing full well that they'll be walks in the park.

He's a busted flush that talks a good game until the going gets tough. As soon as he fights anyone respected then he's a goner.

AKA "Lacyitis"

The delusion that you are world class after battering local hobos, before coming up against an actual world class opponent and being brought back down to earth

AKA "Lacyitis"

The delusion that you are world class after battering local hobos, before coming up against an actual world class opponent and being brought back down to earth
    Exactly that. Heavyweight boxing in America is on its knees so they need to manage Wilder carefully. His last two fights have been alleged 'warm ups' for a serious defence. However, his coaching team knows that if Wilder doesn't get someone out of there inside 4 rounds then he starts blowing, which is all very good against, like you say, local hobos and those outside the top 10, as they tend to be limited fighters as well.

He'll get knocked out in his first proper defence.

• Tbf the division is devoid of top class fighters, you can only beat what's infront of you and wilder has done that with ease, I agree he has not fought anyone of quality to test him,

It's a shit division and it's the only reason Haye returned, There's no one to fear AJ has the talent and opportunity to do the same aa wilder but that won't make him any better or worse than wilder,

Fury three yrs ago was deemed as a joker his fight against vlad was enthralling and he fought the correct fight, but his antics in the ring Saturday spoke volumes about his character and what a fool he can be

After that it's anyone's take on what's left, we learnt nothing from Haye, white put up more than expected but is the same as chisora Imo, klitchko is done it's time to move over great innings but time has caught up on him,

more concerned about the sate of the division as a whole and where does it look too for saving,

Never felt so underwhelmed by a heavyweight division, it's like the cafc of boxing
  • Tbf the division is devoid of top class fighters, you can only beat what's infront of you and wilder has done that with ease, I agree he has not fought anyone of quality to test him,

Have you seen his last 4 fights? None of them were easy for him, although they should have been for any top heavyweight.

Stiverne - Unanimous decision
    Molina - 9th round KO
    Duhaupas - 11th round TKO
    Szpilka - 9th round KO

All of the above are either past it or were never there in the first place.

I agree with a lot of what you say though.
  • He is so nervous about being beaten he is making hard work of average fighters I honestly believe they all know the division is poor ams they need to just stay at the top of the tree or its game over , he is better than all of them last 4 he fought but he is fighting within himself
  • Wilder gets exposed as soon as Uncle Al lets him.
  • Haye would knock AJ out in 4 rounds or less - but I don't think AJ will go near him.

Fury v Wlad 2 will be really tough. Keep an eye out for Luis Ortiz if he is given the opportunity.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not so sure Haye beats Joshua. If AJ is smart, he uses all his attributes and out boxes him. At his age and heavier weight, Haye wants a tear up over 4-5 rounds. My big concern with AJ is his trainer.. with that ability he should be working with someone of Freddie Roach's calibre.

Fury V Klitschko 2 will be tough as Wlad surely can't be that bad again (unless he is shot to bits) and Fury is no longer a surprise. I don't think Fury really did anything to win the title, more a case of Klitschko doing even less to try and keep it.

Agree with everything that has been said about Wilder being protected. His mandatory defence will be more testing next time out but to be fair, he's impressed me with his ability to carry his knockout power into the later rounds.
  • I watched the Charles Martin fight on Sunday morning and he looked woeful. He only won because his opponent did his knee during the fight.
    Iistening to the post match interview you would have thought he had just knocked out Tyson.
    Any of our domestic heavyweight including Whyte and Price would take the IBF title of him if given the chance.
  • edited January 2016

I'm not so sure Haye beats Joshua. If AJ is smart, he uses all his attributes and out boxes him. At his age and heavier weight, Haye wants a tear up over 4-5 rounds. My big concern with AJ is his trainer.. with that ability he should be working with someone of Freddie Roach's calibre.

Fury V Klitschko 2 will be tough as Wlad surely can't be that bad again (unless he is shot to bits) and Fury is no longer a surprise. I don't think Fury really did anything to win the title, more a case of Klitschko doing even less to try and keep it.

Agree with everything that has been said about Wilder being protected. His mandatory defence will be more testing next time out but to be fair, he's impressed me with his ability to carry his knockout power into the later rounds.

Wilder will go for a voluntary defence. It'll most likely be the winner of the prospective fight between Chisora and Whyte (although the winner could easily fight Martin for the IBF title).

The one thing that Wilder has on his side is the mental nature of the WBC now. That sanctioning body has gone from hero to zero in my eyes. They dole out rankings to anyone and his dog so Wilder's next opponent could be any chancer that comes along. One thing is for pretty much certain, he wont face anyone that Haymon thinks poses any sort of threat.

Re Haye vs Joshua, Hearn will keep AJ away from Haye, especially given Haye's new found size and how comfortable he looks at it. I know Haye's fight wasn't against anyone of any note but, for someone that's been out of the ring for 3 and a half years, it was an impressive demolition job. AJ needs two more fights before he should contemplate taking on Haye.
  • Haye was just Haye but heavier, still had power and speed there was nothing new to see, the fight was over the day it was announced, AJ would hit him and hit him hard but would get caught himself, the fight woukdnt last 4 RDs before one fell over. Imo the fight will probably never happen and the only way it will is If AJ ends up with a shock defeat in the next 2 fights,

Whoever lost thats it game over on career hence why it won't happen
  • Godstone said:

Haye would knock AJ out in 4 rounds or less - but I don't think AJ will go near him.

Fury v Wlad 2 will be really tough. Keep an eye out for Luis Ortiz if he is given the opportunity.

Luis Ortiz is a name making waves as is the Kiwi guy Joseph Parker. Not seen the latter yet but keep hearing his name.
  • Joseph Parker looks ferocious whilst being raw he may have something about him

Charles Martin had an off night on Saturday. He's pretty decent. So is Wlider, just wish some of them will start fighting each other.

• Godstone said:

Haye would knock AJ out in 4 rounds or less - but I don't think AJ will go near him.

Luis Ortiz is a name making waves as is the Kiwi guy Joseph Parker. Not seen the latter yet but keep hearing his name.
    Parker was being spoken about a couple of years ago but hasn't progressed at all. The biggest name on his CV is Brian Minto and it took him 7 rounds to get rid of him back in July 2014.

I fear he'll go the same way as most antipodean boxers and stay in the southern hemisphere. A bit like De Mori.
  • He fought a guy called Tom Dallas from my neck of the woods.

Now Tom has been knocked out cold before now once by David Price and said being hit by Martin was the most hurt he has ever felt in a boxing ring. And Martin didn't put him down
  • Carter said:

He fought a guy called Tom Dallas from my neck of the woods.

Now Tom has been knocked out cold before now once by David Price and said being hit by Martin was the most hurt he has ever felt in a boxing ring. And Martin didn't put him down

Dallas, although not knocked clean out, took the knee and would have got seriously hurt if the referee didn't stop it in the first.
  • No argument there mate

Whilst he may have been stopped in the first he had now fought a world champion in Madison square garden. That's the other end of boxing from pay per view millions, a roofer who can box earning a living being an opponent for someone that could probably kill a horse if he punched it
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!