Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Restaurant Review, The Valley SE7, South East London

The Valley SE7

I’ve eaten at this restaurant regularly since the early 70’s but decided to write a fresh review after the eatery was bought by new owners.

The Valley SE7 is situated in prime position only 20 minutes from Central London and only a stone’s throw from other local attractions such as the O2 and the Woolwich Ferry, on a clear day you can also see the New Olympic Stadium.

The venue oozes history and the past close relationship recently shared with its patron’s. It has a comfortable atmosphere and is very spacious, getting a reservation has been made easier since improvements from the new ownership to increase availability by introducing house music and cheerleaders, as well as changing the quality of produce offered on Saturday afternoons.
I would however avoid visiting car park between 5pm – 6pm on Saturdays as this gets very busy with customers.

I tried to book a reservation in person on a Tuesday but was only offered a visit to my local NHS super surgery.

There was plenty of choice in table locations when making my reservation so I booked a table in the prestigious west stand. Unfortunately after making the booking I was contacted by the management and asked if I would mind relocating as they had received a large booking from a group from Bournemouth. I was promised a concession for my meal which was not fulfilled when I visited.

I waited for my table on a comfy Sofa in the corner of the venue which seem a little out of place.

To keep the menu fresh the management is replaced every few months, the current chef “Carol” had previously managed a burger van so had the correct pedigree to oversee such a prestigious establishment
The menu was limited and offered house specialities such as Brussels and Waffle as well as the much publicised Pulled Pork in a Bap.
I went for the traditional “Addick mit Pomme Frittes” The “Addick” dish had always been a favourite at this restaurant but has recently been recently replaced with substandard white fish, the pomme frittes were smothered in Mayonnaise which left me with a nasty after taste.

The background house music was not to my taste, and the service was slow and predictable, many of the staff could not speak English well and were obviously struggling with the English pace, I heard many had been recommended from established restaurants throughout Europe, but I could not see their value.

I was asked if I had enjoyed my days experience, and in in truth I replied that I hadn’t. My comments were ignored and I was told that 98% of customers were more than satisfied with the service.
This was a shame because I believe this restaurant has so much to offer.

I can’t see a future for this restaurant as the local connection (what made it so famous in the past) is being ignored, although when I left I was offered to subscribe to a family loyalty card, which could be used as long as I was happy to eat offal every other weekend. I declined and I’ll doubt that I’ll be back.

Comments

• edited January 2016
    I didn't actually realise there was a 'Valley' trip advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d2266835-Reviews-Charlton_Athletic_Football_Club-London_England.html

Stuff like this should go on their!
  • I didn't actually realise there was 'Valley' trip advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d2266835-Reviews-Charlton_Athletic_Football_Club-London_England.html

I've just reviewed it!
  • I didn't actually realise there was a 'Valley' trip advisor:

I can't believe they think there are only 545 better things to do in London!
  • I have'nt been to this restaurant for some time, but despite advice from friends who eat there regularly, I tried it again. The service was very poor, and some of the staff seem to have been offered jobs for their low wage demands rather than ability. I did draw the attention of the maitre d' , a M.Murray to this. He seemed uninterested, and apart from a couple of references to how things were in 2004, he did' nt seem to care. While we were arguing, the manageress came and took photos of us.
    Basically poor food and service were the norm, and on leaving I had to run the gauntlet of a mob of unhappy customers. Not a happy experience.
  • The Valley SE7

I’ve eaten at this restaurant regularly since the early 70’s but decided to write a fresh review after the eatery was bought by new owners.

The Valley SE7 is situated in prime position only 20 minutes from Central London and only a stone’s throw from other local attractions such as the O2 and the Woolwich Ferry, on a clear day you can also see the New Olympic Stadium.

The venue oozes history and the past close relationship recently shared with its patron’s. It has a comfortable atmosphere and is very spacious, getting a reservation has been made easier since improvements from the new ownership to increase availability by introducing house music and cheerleaders, as well as changing the quality of produce offered on Saturday afternoons.
    I would however avoid visiting car park between 5pm – 6pm on Saturdays as this gets very busy with customers.

I tried to book a reservation in person on a Tuesday but was only offered a visit to my local NHS super surgery.

There was plenty of choice in table locations when making my reservation so I booked a table in the prestigious west stand. Unfortunately after making the booking I was contacted by the management and asked if I would mind relocating as they had received a large booking from a group from Bournemouth. I was promised a concession for my meal which was not fulfilled when I visited.

I waited for my table on a comfy Sofa in the corner of the venue which seem a little out of place.

To keep the menu fresh the management is replaced every few months, the current chef “Carol” had previously managed a burger van so had the correct pedigree to oversee such a prestigious establishment
    The menu was limited and offered house specialities such as Brussels and Waffle as well as the much publicised Pulled Pork in a Bap.
    I went for the traditional “Addick mit Pomme Frittes” The “Addick” dish had always been a favourite at this restaurant but has recently been recently replaced with substandard white fish, the pomme frittes were smothered in Mayonnaise which left me with a nasty after taste.

The background house music was not to my taste, and the service was slow and predictable, many of the staff could not speak English well and were obviously struggling with the English pace, I heard many had been recommended from established restaurants throughout Europe, but I could not see their value.

I was asked if I had enjoyed my days experience, and in in truth I replied that I hadn’t. My comments were ignored and I was told that 98% of customers were more than satisfied with the service.
    This was a shame because I believe this restaurant has so much to offer.

I can’t see a future for this restaurant as the local connection (what made it so famous in the past) is being ignored, although when I left I was offered to subscribe to a family loyalty card, which could be used as long as I was happy to eat offal every other weekend. I declined and I’ll doubt that I’ll be back.

Dirty boy!
  • Restaurant ? Bollocks, I thought it was a cinema.
  • I certainly wouldn't recommend the dish of the day
  • When I recently complained about the falling standards, the manageress suggested that I try the 'West Ham and Eggs' caff up the road. The rumour is she's trying to turn it in to a cabbie's greasy (wooden) spoon.
  • This restaurant is rubbish. I needed a poo but everyone in the bogs was smoking and I'm not sure how much of what they were smoking was even legal
  • Sponsored links:

• I was very disappointed and asked to speak to the Manageress. She looked done her long nose at me and scoffed, saying I could fuck-off if I didn't like it. Apparently the owner lives in another country, is loaded and couldn't careless - just a small side liack-of-interest for him.
  • I went to the "Rusty Cow Shed" up near Rotherhithe the other night. Very easy to get a seat. Apparently the chef used to be one of the waiters. Waited 90 minutes and nothing happened then they had the cheek to lock us in. I didn't like it but I don't suppose they will care.
  • Consider yourself lucky you have been. I paid for a seasons long pass to this restaurant but it never arrived, I saw some press release that Royal Mail had lost the one that they should have sent me but when I tried to email the manager to ask politely about the situation I never received a response.
  • Food has gone considerably downhill in last two years. Most meat is now being supplied from abroad and isn't really tasting great, while the locally sourced products are not really being given enough time to mature
  • I remember when you could have prime steak at this restaurant in SE7 now they only serve cheap burgers !!
  • I listened to the new owners assistant and no longer go there.
  • The restaurant manager was rude and dismissive, and when she leaned over to ask how the meal was her nose dipped in my drink.