Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Sat 7th April 1984. Charlton 1 Newcastle 3

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Saturday 7th April 1984. The Valley. Att:15,298

Charlton Athletic 1 (1) (Dowman 22) Newcastle United 3 (1) (Waddle 30, McDermott 87, Beardsley 89).

Charlton: Johns, O'Shea, Dickenson, Smith, Dowman, Berry, Robinson, Lee, Jones, Aizlewood, Flanagan. Unused sub: Curtis.

Newcastle: Carr, Anderson, Wharton, McCreery, Carney, Roeder, Keegan, Beardsley, Waddle, McDermott, Trewick. Unused sub: Haddock.

Referee: T G Bune (Berks)

Presentation: Before the match, new Charlton chairman John Fryer presented Kevin Keegan with a crystal-cut punch bowl to mark the England international's final appearence in the capital.

Comments

• My first ever live game of football !!!

Don't remember the presentation though...
  • I was there. Couldn't believe it when we took the lead. Didn't last though.
  • I remember getting picked up from my school as I had just returned from school journey to the isle of wight and being taken straight to the match.
  • I was there too.Kevin keegan got a standing ovation from both sets of fans.Shame we lost,kinda spoils the memories.
  • I got Keegans autograph as he got off the coach. Still got it somewhere.

I think they were promoted (or as good as) after this result.
  • one of the early games that started my fascination with away support....
    this was a monster crowd for us at the time and the geordies must've had 5k+(all from london) proper proper away support before football became popular/trendy/hip again
  • Remember this game quite well, first time I had seen a huge away following at the Valley. We did well for much of the game against far superior opposition but good ole charlton never fail to disapoint in the end. :-)
  • Looking at our fullbacks, I remember Kevin Dickenson well - he was a bit of a cutie, with curly blonde hair, but who was O'Shea?
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite] but who was O'Shea?
    danny o'shea was on loan to us from arsenal for 2 months and played 9 times and went on to play for southend and cambridge united (taken from colin camerons valiant 500)
  • Thanks, oohaah!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Looking at our fullbacks, I remember Kevin Dickenson well - he was a bit of a cutie, with curly blonde hair, but who was O'Shea?

Dickenson was a proper Charlton player. Not the best but gave his all and for a while played above himself.
  • Agreed, Len - of course I remember his football talent as well ;-)
  • 31 years today.
  • Remember it clearly. What a second division side Newcastle were..Keegan, Beardsley, Waddle and Mc Dermott. We played well that day but I seem to remember Keegan running the show in the second half.
  • Yes, Newcastle had some extraordinary attacking talent for a second division side, recognising that they were on the way up.

My dad was a steward at the Valley in those days and he told me that the Newcastle coach took an absolute age to get away from the ground after the game. That was because Kevin Keegan insisted upon giving his autograph to every last kid who wanted it - top man.

Something of a contrast to Peter Shilton, who disappointed a whole bunch of kids (me included) by refusing to sign any autographs and jumping straight on the coach after Leicester had trounced us 5-0 at the Valley in 1970 (not that I bear a grudge, of course).
  • edited April 2015
    That attacking four of Keegan, Beardsley, Waddle, McDermott for football outside the top tier can only be compared to the halcyon days of when we put out Sam, Burton, McLeod and Mooney....
  • Missed this one because I was on a plane to Trinidad (to play cricket). It took a couple of days for me to find out the result and even longer to find out the result of the Bank Holiday Monday 0-2 defeat at Crystal Palace (in what I am lead to believe was a slightly bent heat).

Digressing a little....a couple of weeks into the Trinidad tour, I was watching TV round a local's house (a shack really) and on came The Big Match! It was a special edition made for foreign viewing and was a few week's behind. So, it had been made during the time we were bust and I remember Brian Moore saying something along the lines of "and now, in these very worrying times, something to cheer up Charlton supporters around the world....here's Derek Hales scoring a hat-trick v Hull in 1976!" (or whatever year it was). I'd never seen it before and it was lovely to think that Brian Moore was thinking of suffering Charlton fans world-wide.....and boy were we suffering then. I've always thought of him as the best TV football commentator but that was special.
  • Beardsley scored a brilliant goal at the jimmy seed end in front of the Geordies. he collected it outside the box and faced up a B4 strung out along the 18 yard line. He feigned to go one way with a dummy step-over and burst between two defenders into the box, composed himself and then battered it into the roof of the net from ten yards out.
    In the moment Beardsley had the ball at his feet inside the box, the whole end stood up anticipating the finish. The ability to make time stand still on a football pitch. Very rare. Tony Watt has a bit of that, as we have seen, especially the goal against Huddersfield.

First one for myself too
  • Sponsored links:

AFKA.....this is the game we were talking about last night.
  • Yep, never doubted you @Simonsen !!

Think you were two out on the attendance :-)
  • Remember it well. Keegan played fantastically and ran us ragged. The attendance at 15,298 was our best League gate (for Chelsea we got 14,000, for Palace 10,000). Most of the other games then were around the 4-5,000 level. Pitiful stuff really. Though we did get 22,000+ for Watford in the Cup which must have been one of the last "big" gates at the "old" Valley.

Newcastle went up that season, but only finished third behind Chelsea and Sheff Wed.
  • We had a pretty poor team at the time looking at that lineup.
  • Remember it well. Keegan played fantastically and ran us ragged. The attendance at 15,298 was our best League gate (for Chelsea we got 14,000, for Palace 10,000). Most of the other games then were around the 4-5,000 level. Pitiful stuff really. Though we did get 22,000+ for Watford in the Cup which must have been one of the last "big" gates at the "old" Valley.

Newcastle went up that season, but only finished third behind Chelsea and Sheff Wed.

The Watford game was the only time I ever stood on the East Terrace. The Valley today is a great stadium, but there was something special about the old Valley..

The Watford FA Cup game was probably the penultimate game for BIG gates asthe following season 84-85, we had the 21,000 for the Tottenham replay.

The Watford FA Cup game was probably the penultimate game for BIG gates.....the following season 84-85, we had the 21,000 for the Tottenham replay.
  • Remember it clearly. What a second division side Newcastle were..Keegan, Beardsley, Waddle and Mc Dermott. We played well that day but I seem to remember Keegan running the show in the second half.

All top players for Newcastle, but who played fewer games for them than our own Robert Lee!
  • Anderson, Wharton, McCreery and Roeder were all fine players too. Kenny Wharton used to get on the over-lap a lot at St James' Park and really put you under the cosh. We used to stand in the corner he was attacking in the 2nd half and the roar when he was bombing forward was deafening. A crowd of 20,000 up there felt like 40,000.

The Watford game was the only time I ever stood on the East Terrace. The Valley today is a great stadium, but there was something special about the old Valley..
    The East Terrace was my favoured spot in the mid '70's! Standing at the top the view across what was still the Royal Docks was amazing. I recollect seeing ships superstructures and masts passing slowly along the river mid-game.

Watching the game below - and it was below - gave you a very clear view of the tactics being deployed which a pitch side spot, or corner position in the ground elsewhere, didn't.