Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

IF Pardew stays ...

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
and I believe he will as he won't get sacked and is too arrogant to walk away, the squad, once again, needs a pretty major work-over. Problem is that he will need to trim it whilst also trying to improve it with little or no money. I don't believe there is one single player whom we could sell for more than we paid for them (maybe Thomas or a home-grown player perhaps) and so where is the money going to come from ? It isn't as if you could say that he had a two-year plan and that coming to the end of the first year that we could see progress. In fact the opposite is true. His mistakes are too numerous to list and will he actually learn from them. Frankly, I've been surprised by the football we've seen this season because I truely believed we'd see better than that from a Pardew team. He has seriously let us down and I'm not sure he can turn it around as we would hope. Once our hopes are well and truely over, and it won't be long, I hope that he at least bloods a couple of the younger players between now and the end of the season otherwise when will he ever do so.

Comments

• Why would we sack him? Who on earth do you think we could get in better?
    I believe in Pards still.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Why would we sack him? Who on earth do you think we could get in better?

wasn't saying I wanted him sacked but plenty of fans are. As for why ?? Where do I start ....
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Why would we sack him? Who on earth do you think we could get in better?

spot on, absolutely no chance of him being sacked (at least I hope not)
  • Paul Ince would be the perfect replacement - served his apprenticeship well in the lower league - a big enough name to keep the plastics happy - his teams played good football - really enjoyed the JP trophy game yesterday.

PLUS a name that would be able to bring decent players in as well.
  • Sacking Pardew would only prove that we have learned F*** all from our mistakes of last season. I am by no means his biggest fan, but stability is key for me both on & off the pitch & we have not had much of it recently.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Paul Ince would be the perfect replacement - served his apprenticeship well in the lower league - a big enough name to keep the plastics happy - his teams played good football - really enjoyed the JP trophy game yesterday.

PLUS a name that would be able to bring decent players in as well.

Yes but after the win yesterday and all the other publicity he's had recently his ego will be expecting a premiership club to come knocking...
  • very tru Heath and Kets
  • Please can I ask one serious question? This is not me on a wind-up, but rather a genuine concern. Are we confident that Pardew will bring stability next season?

I appreciate all the arguments for sticking with him, but these need to be based on a belief that he will be able to create a foundation to build from, rather than based on our own fears about further potential chaos if there is more change.
  • I am concerned that he will not learn from this season and try and overhaul the whole squad once again and have knee jerk reactions to every game because it's not going exactly how he thought it would BUT I would give him that chance.

He has until January before I start getting mad!
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Please can I ask one serious question? This is not me on a wind-up, but rather a genuine concern. Are we confident thatPardewwill bring stability next season?

I appreciate all the arguments for sticking with him, but these need to be based on a belief that he will be able to create a foundation to build from, rather than based on our own fears about further potential chaos if there is more change.

A fair question Weegie, the answer is no-one really knows, but seldom does changing a manager every year or so benefit a side. It's about having a little faith in a Manager particularly when they are on a bad run that could end up costing him his job. I am sure Curbs had plenty of runs with us that would have been punished with the sack elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite] I am sure Curbs had plenty of runs with us that would have been punished with the sack elsewhere.

Yep, usually from Feb to May!
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite] Are we confident thatPardewwill bring stability next season?

Well the bottom line is I don't know. No one knows.

BUT, if we are talking about improving next year, learning from mistakes made this season, and putting stronger foundations in place, then yes, i do think we are better sticking with him.

He is not a brilliant manager, but people equally don't become bad managers overnight. He now knows the ins and outs, strengths and weaknesses of every single player in this squad. The budget will be tighter next season, so he will have to use it much more wisely than he did this year.

A new man coming in would take us right back to square one, needed a season to understand the squad fully, taking gambles on positions he initially thinks need improving etc, and more upheaval.

I am not Pards biggest fan by any means, i've already said we have significantly underperformed this season. But if i was in charge, he would get til November. If we are still seriously underperforming then, then hard questions will need to be asked.
  • Is this what you are going to say at your first board meeting as Fans Director?
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Is this what you are going to say at your first board meeting as Fans Director?

No - first meeting will be to explain my two-year plan...........:-)
  • AFKA out ;-)
  • I thought Riscardo was a shoe in for that job, or is he too young (at 27, or is he 27 this week? Confused)

;)
  • Is there going to be another fans director? I thought the club were going to knock that on the head.
  • Whatever you may think of Pards:

1) He has had to attempt a major team rebuilding. Not many managers get this right in a first season regardless of funds available - let alone achieve a title/promotion/trophy.

Conclusion: every manager needs time.

2) At the beginning of the season, most supporters expected Pards to lead Charlton to promotion regardless of how the team was put together or whether it had time to integrate.

Despite talk by both Pards & Richard Murray regarding a 2 year plan to regain Premiership status, once Charlton found themselves in 2nd position, expectations rose to the point that anything less than promotion this season would be failure.

Hence the gamble of bringing in the 'Prem' loan players to raise the 'quality' of the side.

Conclusion: expectations have been unrealistic.

My view: Pards has attempted to rebuild the team and felt the pressure to win promotion when he knew the team was not ready.

This split-focus has been the reason why the team has not been properly rebuilt this year and why promotion is now probably beyond us.

This season, priority should have been rebuilding & integrating the team - ready for the challenge next season.

Without the expectation and pressure to achieve promotion, the team may have began to produce a pattern of play and consistancy that may have resulted in promotion anyway.
  • i would hate to see where we would be,if this division was half decent.although saying that,we would probably be ok as it's the bottom sides we haven't performed against.
  • I should say the season ticket offer (1 year) and decisions to try and retain ZZ, Reid, Diawara and perhaps Thomas, were all about a 1st or 2nd year promotion, the board would also have taken into account the increased money that any relegated team would have although this is arguably offset (somewhat) by having to compete in the prem. Problem is we were unable to retain 50% of that core which is more than likely why the 'plan' has come off the rails. On the other hand we have been investing in youth, as well as some more mature gambles so to speak.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Whatever you may think of Pards:

1) He has had to attempt a major team rebuilding. Not many managers get this right in a first season regardless of funds available - let alone achieve a title/promotion/trophy.

Conclusion: every manager needs time.

2) At the beginning of the season, most supporters expected Pards to lead Charlton to promotion regardless of how the team was put together or whether it had time to integrate.

Despite talk by both Pards & Richard Murray regarding a 2 year plan to regain Premiership status, once Charlton found themselves in 2nd position, expectations rose to the point that anything less than promotion this season would be failure.

Hence the gamble of bringing in the 'Prem' loan players to raise the 'quality' of the side.

Conclusion: expectations have been unrealistic.

My view: Pards has attempted to rebuild the team and felt the pressure to win promotion when he knew the team was not ready.

This split-focus has been the reason why the team has not been properly rebuilt this year and why promotion is now probably beyond us.

This season, priority should have been rebuilding & integrating the team - ready for the challenge next season.

Without the expectation and pressure to achieve promotion, the team may have began to produce a pattern of play and consistancy that may have resulted in promotion anyway.

Good points OR. Maybe the pressure of getting promotion meant that rather than going for what he thought was his best team and allowing it to develop, Pards went for the chop and change, loan players, quick fix approch.

Personally I would have preferred us to not go up this season and allow a team to develop that played decent football.

The thing is that we now have neither one or the other. We haven't got a solid base of a side that could challenge next season, nor does it look likely that we will, by hook or by crook, get into the playoffs. I can't really see how we are any better off now than we were at the start of the season to be honest.
  • Barn Door said : 'The thing is that we now have neither one or the other. We haven't got a solid base of a side that could challenge next season, nor does it look likely that we will, by hook or by crook, get into the playoffs. I can't really see how we are any better off now than we were at the start of the season to be honest.'

In my opinion that is spot on. If Pards has to reshape the side again with mass in's and out's then why should we expect things to change next season. Now we should be seeing the nucleus of the side that is going to take us up next season and see some positive progression in our football but we are seeing the opposite and that worries me greatly.
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I thought Riscardo was a shoe in for that job, or is he too young (at 27, or is he 27 this week? Confused)

;)

This week, last week, every bloody week. ;-0
  • I think, Large, that we are already seeing the nucleus of next season's side - maybe we are only 3 players short of being a very good side.

Particularly, we need that centre mid who's got the ability to strongly influence the game box to box - and that clinical goal scorer that we had in the Darren Bent/Andy Hunt/Clive Mendonca role.

Suggestions on a postcard please to:

Mr A Pardew,
    The Valley
    Floyd Road
    London SE7
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I think, Large, that we are already seeing the nucleus of next season's side - maybe we are only 3 players short of being a very good side.

Particularly, we need that centre mid who's got the ability to strongly influence the game box to box - and that clinical goal scorer that we had in the Darren Bent/Andy Hunt/Clive Mendonca role.

Mr A Pardew,
    The Valley
    Floyd Road
    London SE7

Oggy, I know what I'm talking about as I've managed almost as many wins as Pards has at The Valley, and in my opinion we are a lot more than 3 players short of being a very good side.
  • Oggy, I know what I'm talking about as I've managed almost as many wins as Pards has at The Valley, and in my opinion we are a lot more than 3 players short of being a very good side.[/quote]

God, how long are you going to live off that one for? ;-)
  • I will admit at the start of the season i really fancied the club to take the league by storm, what with the amount of signings made, and that we had a manager who would attack every game as well as had the knowledge of the leaue, what i didnt expect is not to be sitting in mid table and the possibilty of finishing in the bottom half of the table. The way charlton have fallen away has been alarming and more so is the fact that it is a very poor league, the reality is if it was stronger we would have been a lot worse off, and possibly Pards would have been facing the jeers and boos in January reather than march. I agree their has to be stability in a club, but does that just mean the manager and coaching staff, what about the players, if we sell 30% of the team in the summer and replace them is that making us a stronger team or just taking us back to where we were last summer but with different players, can we also trust Pards to spend in the summer, his track record would suggest not, and with this in mind will the board tell him to work with what he has, or any revenue to players has to be generated from the sales of the current squad,Pards has been used to spending the cash and if the board suggest the cupboard is bare this will either test his management skills or more importantly test his patientce.
  • edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I think, Large, that we are already seeing the nucleus of next season's side - maybe we are only 3 players short of being a very good side.

Mr A Pardew,
    The Valley
    Floyd Road
    London SE7

You may be right OR, I don't think that we need to bring in a huge amount of players. We have a number of good individuals at the club but that is the problem, they play as individuals not as a team.

Successful Charlton teams have always been greater than the sum of it's parts.
  • edited March 2008
    Weaver

Moo2
    Fortune
    A N Other (dominant type) Sodje possibly
    Youga

Sam
    ZZ
    New robust Midfielder (Semedo if not)
    Thomas

Varney
    Gray (I would prefer Todorov but Pardew has spent £1.5 million!)

Subs from:

Randolph / Elliot
    Basey
    Bougherra
    McCarthy
    Ambrose
    Arter / Wright
    Shelvey (if he really is as good as the hype)
    Wagstaff
    Iwelumo
    dickson

is a reasonable side and a squad of 23 or so.

If money was available I'd like a better dominant centre half to play alongside Fortune and a decent midfielder alongside ZZ. Parker would be ideal but realistically someone like Lee Carsley might be able to do a job for us.

I would let Matty go with thanks.
  • personally i am worried if we had started badly and seen improvement at the end of the season that would be acceptable due to the overhaul,however we haven't seen any improvement and I am very worried re next season our form this christmas is relegation and if we aint careful that's what's goin to happen.I am well and truly pee'd off with Charlton Athletic at the present time.