Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leroy Lita - New Charlton Hero

Just wanted to post that after yesterdays game I saw Leroy take off his boots and give them to a young lad at the front of the north stand. Say what you like about the game yesterday but in 46 years of being addickted I have never seen that before. As you can imagine the young boy was absolutely chuffed to bits. That one gesture probably means that he has sentenced the youngster to a lifelong love affair with this great football club. At a time when most of the coverage footballers receive is about greed and lack of commitment it made me feel proud that Leroy was wearing the Charlton shirt. His wonderful goal celebration also proved that this player does give a sh1t. I doubt that we could afford to sign him permanently but I really hope we can and do. He is obviously the sort of player we need at The Valley. Compare that with the Marcus Bents of this world. Well done Leroy. COMMON YOU REDS

Comments

• Yeah was a nice touch from Lita
  • I heard about that as well... even after that crushing blow at the end of the game he had the wherewithal to behave like that - good on you Leroy
  • he threw his shirt to someone too when he scored but it didnt reach!
  • I understood that Mr Murray was surprised at how low Mr Litas wages at Reading are (compared to who!!!!). And apparently that was as much behind his disagreements with Coppell.

So maybe. But I guess we would have to offload somebody (or 2).
  • Offload 20 if he likes.....
  • Well I would like to see Lita come permanantly. I would be happy with Lita, Varney, Gray and Dickson as our four strikers although you have to say that Iwelumo is the only "big" striker we have so he will be retained. That means I guess that we have seen last of Todorov and McLeod - if Lita is signed. Toddy will be gone for sure.
  • I hope those people who have posted on here about him being among the loan players that didn't care will feel a bit silly , his reaction to his goal yesterday said a lot I feel
  • 1 Goal and all of a sudden he is a bloody hero ???
    Well i'm not anti Lita but that is ridiculous!!!!! i new he would come good (he had to as he has been awfull so far, including yesterday)
    As for his reaction to the goal being good, yeah fantastic take your shirt of and get booked !! I really dont get SOME people on here.
    the only forwards at our club that look remotely interested (and good enough )are Varney, Dickson and Todorov. Good riddens to the rest of them.
  • Your Glass really is half empty isn`t it. The post was mostly about Leroy doing a " nice thing" SOME people appreciate that !
  • i do appreciate that sort of thing happening but for people to start shouting off that he is great is a joke. Don't get me wrong, i would love to see him turn things around after that goal and be full of confidance and go on and score a few more but surely nobody could say he has performed well for us for even 1 second since he has been here
  • Sponsored links:

• You still don`t get it do you ? Not suggesting he is a great footballer...just a great bloke !
  • who realised yesterday that the only way to get better was to give those poxy orange boots to some poor unsuspecting kid :o)
  • Actually thought in the 2nd half that Lita and Iwelumo worked well together and looked a decent partnership. Iwelumo started winning headers and was finding Lita with them regularly. Would be happy to see them continue together for the next few games.

Of the other strikers, I like Varney's work effort but I don't think he's the 20 goal a season player Pardew billed him has. McLeod causes problems for defences but lacks composure in front of goal (he was also billed as a player who should get 20 goals this year). Todorov has been missed and Dickson looks promising, but Gray has been the worst signing for me. I just hope that the money we spent on him would prevent us from being able to buy Lita if Reading make him available.
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]I hope those people who have posted on here about him being among the loan players that didn't care will feel a bit silly , his reaction to his goal yesterday said a lot I feel

Hate to be a party pooper fellas but i think you'll find that was Lita's 50 th career goal and his celebration was more for his personal achievement than our plight.This would explain why he didn't rush to pick the ball out of the net to get the game re-started and give us a chance of winning a game that we desperately needed to win.It was the 90th minute afterall!
    I'm reserving judgement on him as i've heard he has attitude problems which is another reason Coppell wants to get shot of him.
    Still i'm sure you'll all be moaning about him again next week when he can't hit a cows arse.
  • Leroy Lita? The Leroy Lita who was arrested for GBH in Bristol? The Leroy Lita who got a three match ban for headbutting Talal El Karkouri? He's a Charlton hero now? God help us.
  • Reformed character ? ;-)
  • Like I said re Nicky Weaver, he may be an arsehole but he's our arsehole at the moment!
  • [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]Leroy Lita? The Leroy Lita who was arrested for GBH in Bristol? The Leroy Lita who got a three match ban for headbutting Talal El Karkouri? He's a Charlton hero now? God help us.

forgot all about the talal incident , made me remember how much shame the elk brought on us with his constant play acting , pathetic.
  • It sounds like a decent gensture but I am still fuming at the unprofessional way in which he celebrated the goal instead of grabbing the ball, taking it back to the centre circle and giving us a few more precious seconds to grab an implausible winner.
  • Completely agree with Carly Burn and Bing - it was a selfish, personal celebration, and Wolves came up with the perfect answer to it - we should have been competely focussed on getting back on with the last few minutes and trying to use the momentum to snatch a win.
  • Sponsored links:

• You can't please some people. He gets slated when he doesn't score and then when he does he gets slated for celebrating!!

An alternitive view would be that he should off used up more time celebrating an then maybe we would have got a point.
  • I think we re all going to have to accept that whatever happens, and no matter what positives some of us may see,there are always going to be others that are going to moan and find something negative to say. It was a nice gesture by Lita , but then it wont stop the criticism.
  • Was a nice gesture and he was obviously really happy to score for us......as somebody said, I think he worked well with Iwelumo, and I would like to see Varney in the same team from the off on the left wing.
  • edited March 2008
    was his celebration really all about himself and not perhaps relief and sheer joy that he'd got the equaliser for us after probably even criticising his own performances himself, let alone the (partly deserved) grumblings from the stands?

how people know what went through his head is beyond me... would you not be more worried if he did some gangster, arrogant, unbothered celebration a la henry/thomas? we wanted passion... for whatever reason we got it

i'm more worried about how only Weaver could read the script for their winner (unlike our backline who all drifted to the ball, letting the runner sprint in and finish) than Lita wasting a probably non-existant chance of a winner. as a tongue in cheek BDL said maybe he should have taken another minute over it doing cartwheels and we would have taken a point!
  • I ll agree with that Tel. For once we had someone getting on the end of Iwelumo s flick ons. Varney deserves more than 10 mins every week .I just dont understand how someone as big as Chris gets knocked to the ground so often,but did look a promising partnership. I d try Varney just behind the front two.
  • finally got off the mark, and nice gesture, but ffs hes got the first touch of a rapist much rather have varney.
  • Lita wasn't that good.
    I don't see the point in playing him over Luke Varney, our player.
  • [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]You can't please some people. He gets slated when he doesn't score and then when he does he gets slated for celebrating!!

An alternitive view would be that he should off used up more time celebrating an then maybe we would have got a point.

That's exactly what I was thinging BDL - if he'd taken a bit longer we would've scraped a point. If he's been a bit quicker Wolves might've scored 2 more!
  • I gave him a standing ovation against WBA as he really worked hard. Again yesterday I thought he did his best. BUT, I am no football expert, but even I can see that is no point playing him with Iwelumo.
  • nice touch by him at the end, but I'd have subbed him at half time as he was absolute sh*t...