Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Call That Support

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
A team of players who rightly or wrongly have no confidence get an equaliser and at the half time whistle are 1-1, but are booed off the pitch. I think it is terribly sad that the support for the team seems to be only in good times. Too often certain sections of the crowd willing to get on the back of the players, yes the crowd started off well but thats no excuse for booing off a team drawing.

Then you get the row of guys behind me whpo slag off the players from beginning to end, god know why they have a season ticket.

Comments

• I mentioned eactly the same thing to my Dad on the way back, disgraceful. Yes they didn't play well but why boo when they are heading in for half time and its all level? There are definitely people who go there waiting for a certain player(s) to make a mistake and they start screaming, it's all starting to get on my nerves
  • Spot on.

I was dismayed by that today. If there is no effort or obvious passion then I can see why people (might) do it. But that was absolutely ridiculous.
  • edited March 2008
    Agreed. The booing started after less than half an hour. Fortunately halford scored to shut them up for a bit.

Yes the first half wasn't great but as fans we should encourage as booing is counter productive when confidence is low.
  • edited March 2008
    I was completely clucking embarassed today. I enjoyed the game a hell of a lot, and the team gave their all in that 2nd half. We had the chances to win it, but didn't. That said the performance looked good to me.

The bloody booing is driving me round the bend. First half. sodje is out run by Ebanks-blake. The guy is faster than sodje, that is just a fact. Don't boo the fucking guy for not being as quick.

As for the end of the game. As the song goes. Clowns to the left of me...

The small chant of you're not fit to wear the shirt at the end - pathetic. you think because you can stand in the centre of the north upper and sing more you are 'hardcore'. Bollocks, to those of you who were singing it - I have no words for you, just my contempt.

Can anyone tell me if there is less booing in the north lower or elsewhere in the ground as I am seriously considering moving somewhere else next season when I renew.
  • i was disgusted at the end that the players got booooed of, they worked their balls off and in the end went for the win that we needed and came unstuck. But to tell them they are not fit to wear the shirt is boll*cks.

In the second half that is the charlton i want to see a team with passion commitment and battle to the end.

We just have to realise the squad we have is just not goood enough, 4 wins in 22 or what ever it is shows that.

On another note did anyone see lita give his boots to someone at the end of the game, i wonder if that means no more orange boots
  • I don't think the booing is directed at the players - i think its direct at the management.

re sodje v ebanks-blake. I would say the booing is at pards for not signing him and signing the dross we call strikers.

hadn't really too much of him this season, but today shows what we are misssing - someoe strong, quick and determind & knows where the back of the net is. Would any of our strikers have scored their 2nd goal - NO.
  • I didnt boo but that first half was appalling.

Im sorry but Pardew and the players have lost the fans. Theres the hardcore on here but you are a minority.

Many fans young/old/many seasons/recent are just fed up with underperformance from players that are so called quality.

And because the second half was better doesnt excuse the first half.

Im afraid we need a back to basics approach and Pardew doesnt fit into that remit.
  • edited March 2008
    never ever boo, it helps no-one, least yourself, it's a waste of time, like big Ron once said on Sky, "I ain't gonna whip em for that"

We were shite for about 15 minutes of the first half, apart from that a decent performance. Two absolute quality finishes from Wolves outdone us, if Lita had scored at 1-1 when he tried to put it through the keepers legs then it would likely be a different picture. And yes, I know he didn't and we lost, but what do you expect?

2-2 means nothing, that's why pardooooo went for it, after all 2-2 is the same use to us as the final result.

I moved to the upper north two years ago from the Wallace Arnoold East Stand to sit with "proper" Charlton fans in the Upper North, and still the so called ultras are far too quick to sing "you not fit to wear the shirt"

I am sorry boys, that is just total short sighted bolex, and I thought you had soul..............
  • It was dissapointing to hear the booing again,after what i thought was an entertaining game.there was no lack of effort throughout the team,and you cant boo the team just because they lost. i do wonder why some people bother going at all. i know were all frustrated with the results lately ,but what good does that response do. the players must dread playing at home. I think i ve been as dissapointed with the support this year as i have with the results. The support last year after Pards s arrival was great cosidering where we were in the league. this year its as bad as i can ever remember.
  • I never boo but it's totally predictable when the team is not matching peoples expectations (realistc or otherwise) To be fair tyo the fans, Pardew said he had a good enough squad for the play offs, that is looking pretty way off now, he said his teams always perform better in the seconc half of the season - well I've got some news for him, this one aint!!

Still we can still get into the play offs or so things appear through my rose-tinted spectacles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Technically we are not safe from relegation.

And relegation form is what we are in at the moment.

But theres too much quality in this squad...........zzzzzzzzzzzzz

We are pants guys
    up front
    in the middle
    at the back
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Technically we are not safe from relegation.

We are pants guys
    up front
    in the middle
    at the back

.... and in the stands!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Technically we are not safe from relegation.

We are pants guys
    up front
    in the middle
    at the back

.... and in the stands!

And the dugout.
  • we're alright in the pub though.
  • It feels to me like the Labour party towards the end of Blairs reign.....full of twoddle
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]hadn't really too much of him this season, but today shows what we are misssing - someoe strong, quick and determind & knows where the back of the net is. Would any of our strikers have scored their 2nd goal - NO.

well fuck off and support wolves then, its dicks like you we DONT need at the valley, do us all a favour and do one.
  • I didn't personally boo but believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe if the rest of the ground had given the support the so called boo boys have given all season in the North upper we may have won a few more!
  • Complete joke. Some people near me booed when Lita's name was read out before the game!
    3 blokes, 2 rows in front didn't even stand up or cheer when Halford scored yet a minute or 2 later they were jumping up shouting and moaning. I don't know why they bother coming. Our fans are an embarrassment! What does booing solve? It only makes the player less confident and more inclined to want rid of the ball as soon as he gets it.
  • I sit normally in the North West stand and there is not booing but a lot of moaning.
    I sat yesterday in part of the East stand and there was even more moaning.
    And the North Upper boos.

Im afraid the minority on here who would die for Charlton are just that. A minority. The wider Charlton fan base is pretty hacked off.

I have not been a Pardew out man but I think at the end of the season it may be time to part company. For 2 reasons:-
    1) He has an air of arrogance and self importance which does not sit well with the Board or many fans
    2) I really cant see any progression with the squad.
  • The booing (which i do not agree with, especially yesterday) is aimed at a poor manager who treats the fans like mugs with the drivel he talks and some on loan players that are indeed not fit to wear the shirt (eg Halford and Sodje). The booing of Sodje when ebanks-blake stuffed him was because he was half asleep and didnt pick him up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hopefully a few of the boo boys will give up this season and not renew their season tickets. I've been a season ticket holder for some 20 years, across the Valley, Smelhurst and Upton Park and I can honestly say that yesterday was the most embarassing show of supposed 'support' I've ever witnessed in all those years.

What didn't those 'fans' get? We needed a win, plain and simple. We could have acted the 12th man throughout the game, but by the end of the 1st half we managed to give our own side the feel that they were playing at Molineux, not the Valley. Our second half showed what we can do and I think that we played a part in fcuking up our chances yesterday. If fans do not think that psychology plays a major part in our players' games, then maybe that lack of understanding leads you to believe that booing is the right way to approach your disappointment or anger. You are sadly wrong.

Over the previous 7 or 8 seasons, I loved nothing more than little old Charlton going to the so called bigger clubs and us silencing their crowd with an early goal or early control of the game. If the opposition's support were stupid enough to boo, all the better, it only served to bouy us more. I bet Wolves were loving it yesterday.

I've made my point and am still sat here some 15-16 hours later utterly frustrated. Somehow, we as fans need to get back to basics, just get behind the team, come what may and see wheher that actualy helps our boys along!
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]
    I have not been a Pardew out man but I think at the end of the season it may be time to part company. For 2 reasons:-
    1) He has an air of arrogance and self importance which does not sit well with the Board or many fans

Not up to you though, is it - thankfully. Imagine that at an industrial tribunal; "Why did you sack Mr Pardew?" "He was arrogant and self-important". Pot kettle and black springs to mind with a post like that I'm afraid mate!
  • surely an industrial tribune would accept under performance and waste of company resources as valid reasons for dismissal?

Doesnt work like that in football though failures get paid off
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]

Not up to you though, is it - thankfully. Imagine that at an industrial tribunal; "Why did you sack Mr Pardew?" "He was arrogant and self-important". Pot kettle and black springs to mind with a post like that I'm afraid mate!

Why is my post arrogant and self-important?
  • Funny how the great and massively experienced Ferguson keeps seeing something in really positive in Pardew that we don't. Hasn't got a clue clearly!

If Utd fans shared the same impatience as us when Ferguson started his reign, where would they be now?

Give Pardew another season and let him self assess a few of his own possible shortcomings. He will develop, as will the team.

His loan signings are an indicator that he didn't feel he had constructed the right squad at the start of the season and I'm sure he'll try to sort that out through some wheeling and dealing in the summer.
  • I am sorry but I don't but this 'we were booing the manager' for a second.

the boos started pretty much straight after the first wolves goal and occurred whenever a player screwed up, there is no way that is aimed at the manager.

Personally I think we are probably two players off having a very good side and am looking forward to next season -possibly in a different seat.

I will reiterate, every bit of booing I have heard this season has started in the same place. The centre of the north upper.
  • You want him sacked because you "can't see any progression with the squad". And you are who, exactly? Sounds a bit arroganr and self-important to me - but then it's not up to you is it, luckily.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]You want him sacked because you "can't see any progression with the squad". And you are who, exactly? Sounds a bit arroganr and self-important to me - but then it's not up to you is it, luckily.

Actually I dont want him sacked. I would think it appropriate for him to resign. I think he maybe is fortunate to the extent that following the Dowie/Reed debacle the last thing the Board wants is more upheaval and costs.

Murray has said that he is arrogant. And so have others more closely connected with the goings on at the club. And he has made some ill judged comments regarding the fans. All in all as I posted I dont think he is maybe the right manager for our club. I also find it a little strange that as far as I am aware nobody from the Board has spoken up in support of Pardew recently.

And no I really cannot see any progression with this squad at all.
  • The fans that were booing the team off at half time had every right to do so.

It is better fans show their disapproval to the team for lack of passion and commitment at the end of the half than stick their heads in the sand and ignore it. At least it lets the management know what is not acceptable.

I was not one of them but know fans only boo the side off when the display warrants it, we were as lucky as hell to walk off at 1 -1 a true reflection would have put Wolves in front. However the scoreline is irrelevant I firmly believe it was aimed at the general defending and lack of commitment by some players. We have seen to many 45 mins of inept display during the whole of this season and to be honest I think the fans have been generally fair and will get behind the team providing there is passion and commitment.

The second half performance proved the point one change more commitment and all of a sudden we start to look like a team competing again and the fans were cheering them on.
  • I can report that the usual section of morons in M Block, were moaning at kick off.