Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reidy

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
I said it at the time and have maintained since, that getting rid of Reidy was a massive mistake.
We have so little quality without him.
How many games have we won since he last played?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Observer_Match_Report/0,,2269335,00.html

Comments

• Totally agree, we've only won about 4 games since he last played......
  • Got to agree.
    I'll own up.I thought selling Reid wasn't to bad an idea at the time ,seeing as the price was good and he was always in and out of fitness,but our midfield now is absolutely non existant.
  • 4 wins in the last 22 games. Pretty shocking really. I think your point has been well and truly proven Salad,
  • can't argue END OF
  • edited March 2008
    Murray wanted to get rid of Reidy all season offer come in couldnt wait to get rid of him well I hope the money is dining well in the bank on the 3.5 million of the fee. Our season went down the shitter when he got rid of our best player. Heads went down when Reid was sold. Andy Reid player of the year.

Shame Murray, as Director of Football didnt get a new defence because all of our defenders other than Magic are hopeless. That includes bombscare he is alright in midtable side but not for next season when I hope we are at the top, How on earth did that ball go accross the edge of the box when not one of the four cleared the ball even if they did it would of gone to a Wolves player.

Hope Pards and the Director of football clears 3/4 of this squad out and get the same amount in.

The last 2 season have been piss poor the way it is going we could be the next Southampton.

Rant over.
  • Yeah, I'm really sure that Murray spent the Reid transfer money on himself. Get real!
  • In a way I agree, but at the time I supported it, with the comment that a replacement needed to be lined up and brought in as Reidy left, to me this is the real failure,yues take advantage of the inflated transfer fee, which it was, but then make sure you have the position covered. We have never looked like we wanted to replace the central midfield positon,although Reid only made a few appearances in his true position.
  • If Reid had got injured after a few games like he always did with us and Spuds we'd be laughing.

The guy has stayed fit so good luck to him. Nobody doubts his quality but his fitness record has been appalling and that is why we sold him.

£4 million was good money for a crock.
  • MoTD Andy Reid Goal magic
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]MoTD Andy Reid Goal magic

Agreed. As I said nobody questions his quality only his fitness.

Bit like Cory Gibbs:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]If Reid had got injured after a few games like he always did with us and Spuds we'd be laughing.

The guy has stayed fit so good luck to him. Nobody doubts his quality but his fitness record has been appalling and that is why we sold him.

£4 million was good money for a crock.

But he didn't and were not.

All this "he's a crock" stuff is just a smokescreen to hide that fact that we dropped a huge bollock in selling our best player.
  • We needed the money. End of.

Get used to it.
  • Well said Barn Door.

For the record - Reid started all but 1 game this season for us before getting injured against WBA ( the game he missed he was on the bench) and was training with the first tean squad at the end of January when he was sold.

hardly injury prone then.......but then why let facts get in the way of a good story.

I said on here at the time and have constantly said since - as soon as he went so did our chances or promotion.

Pardew/murray/the borad.....whoever's deciscion it was to sell him should hang their head in shame.

£3.5m in the bank compared to £35 million in the premiership.

MUGS.

• It was probably the Banks decision.
  • This is nonsense - not one man on his own would have got us out of this mess.

Christ, people are making him out to be world class. He only play's 50 to 75 percent of the season as he is injury prone. I would have still taken the money myself - even now, as i doubt we will get that much in the summer.

Is golfaddick for real ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexleyheath_Red[/cite]This is nonsense - not one man on his own would have got us out of this mess.

Christ, people are making him out to be world class. He only play's 50 to 75 percent of the season as he is injury prone. I would have still taken the money myself - even now, as i doubt we will get that much in the summer.

Is golfaddick for real ?

No-one can say what difference Reid may or may not have made but there is no doubt that in terms of quality he was head and shoulders above anything else we had or have and potentialy could have made a difference.

Selling your best player and Captain is not the way to get promoted and what is the £3.5m we got for him against the £35m we would get for promotion?

A very short sighted decision imo
  • Thing is Golfaddick on this occasion is spot on. I can't see how anyone can argue with what he says in his post.

Reid was not just a fantastic player but a good captain who led by example with great performances on the pitch.
  • How would we spend this £35m?

£15m on new player purchases
    £15m on player contracts
    £5m on match day support costs

Revenue from season tickets nil

Given that this is the crappiest league since Noah decided to promote middle eastern cruises we would be favourites to go down. Then we would sell our £15m of new talent at about £10m and still be left with the crap we couldnt sell on expensive contracts. And then the Board needs to cough up some more of their grandkids inheritance.

No I say lets steady the ark for a while, get a manager who has the same ethos as Charlton, develop the kids, and give it a real go over 3 to 5 years.

This club has lost something this year.
  • edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I said it at the time and have maintained since, that getting rid of Reidy was a massive mistake.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Observer_Match_Report/0,,2269335,00.html

Did we stay solvent with the sale of reid? yes

would we have if we kept him? dont know!

do you know the answer of the above? no

the club did what they felt they needed too, end off

i'd rather support charlton in the 3rd division than there be no charlton. the board keep cafc aflaot.
  • Just think though if we had sold Reid a month earlier we would be fighting relegation. Thank god he wasn't fit at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Just think though if we had sold Reid a month earlier we would be fighting relegation. Thank god he wasn't fit at the time.

I dont get that. Wasnt he injured from the time the rumours started emerging about a deal with Sunderland (mid Dec) to when he was sold only to be fit for Sunderlands next game after the window.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I said it at the time and have maintained since, that getting rid of Reidy was a massive mistake.

[url][/url]http://football.guardian.co.uk/Observer_Match_Report/0,,2269335,00.html

i'd rather support charlton in the 3rd division than there be no charlton. the board keep cafc aflaot.

Sorry but I don't accept that we were in such a finanicial state that we had to sell Reid to stay afloat.
  • [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]

[url=[url=]http://football.guardian.co.uk/Observer_Match_Report/0][/url]http://football.guardian.co.uk/Observer_Match_Report/0,,2269335,00.html

Sorry but I don't accept that we were in such a finanicial state that we had to sell Reid to stay afloat.

What position do you hold within the club then Barn Door - Finance Director, CEO, Chairman?
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]

[url=[url=][/url]http://football.guardian.co.uk/Observer_Match_Report/0][url][/url]http://football.guardian.co.uk/Observer_Match_Report/0,,2269335,00.html

What position do you hold within the club then Barn Door - Finance Director, CEO, Chairman?

So are you honestly saying that without the £3.5m from the sale of Reid, we would be staring a finanicial ruin?

I find that very hard to believe.
  • No, I never said that - you show me where I did.

You're the one with the apparent inside track. But that's my point, only a few people REALLY know what the finances are like. One things for sure though, I bet the decision wasn't taken lightly. I resume we can both agree on that?
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]No, I never said that - you show me where I did.

You're the one with the apparent inside track. But that's my point, only a few people REALLY know what the finances are like. One things for sure though, I bet the decision wasn't taken lightly. I resume we can both agree on that?

Where do I suggest I have an inside knowledge? I'm simply saying that I find it hard to believe that we would have been bankrupt but for the sale of Reid as was suggested in another post.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]No, I never said that - you show me where I did.

I wasnt at the last Shareholders meeting but I will be at the next.
    Apparently it was said at that meeting that the club was in dire financial straights some months back which was why the Directors have restructured the debt. We are extremely fortunate to have such good Directors which is why I feel disappointed with the underperformance of the management.
  • Got no problem with the sale of Reid, more the way they spent the money.

£2m could have bought Ebanks Blake, we got Andy Gray.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7

i'd rather support charlton in the 3rd division than there be no charlton. the board keep cafc aflaot.[/quote]

Well said that man.
  • Reid was sold, we don't know the financial situation but I suspect it was a finely balanced decision. I don't blame the board for selling. what is clear though after the last few home games is how much we miss him. Ambrose and Thomas combined cannot make up the loss of quality which he represents. Such is the paradox of decision making. The only certain thing is that you can't turn back the clock once the decision was made.